Granite The Postive (Sunshine and Lollypops) BOOST Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiggs H

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Howdy friends!

Beginning this fine hobby with a Granite BOOST 4x2 model... and before any of you start "poo pooing" all over it (yes I've read some of the other threads in regards to the BOOST series), I'd like to ask that this thread focus on the positive aspects of the BOOST line and how someone new like myself can gain some great experience with a brand we all seem to love, even though it may not be one of their top of the line models.

My outlook is this - a lower price point will bring more budget conscious people into ARRMA and the hobby in general. Having done many hobbies over the years, and a lot of them quite fringe, this is probably the most popular hobby I've gotten into so I'm not sure how much the general consensus is on bringing new people into the hobby, but I know most hobbies never complain when more people become involved.

I have a goal for my Granite BOOST - I want to make the "money grab" 4x4 upgrade, and convert to a 3S Brushless setup so I can compete with my buddy that introduced me to the hobby with his Brushless beasts (a Team Associated MT10 and 15 year old Traxxas Rustler that he brought into the 2020s).

So, imagine, dear ARRMA buddies, that someone you love very much gifted you a Granite BOOST 4x2 and rather than stick it in a corner because it isn't the best ARRMA has to offer, you would want to wrench on it and make it the best possible version of itself, so your loved one can see you enjoying it. This is in fact true for me because by the time I realized I "should have just bought the 3S BLX model" my wife had already picked up the BOOST for me for a Christmas gift.

It should arrive in the next few days, so my question to you all.... where would you start? From my limited knowledge and online "research" and a few trips to YouTube University it seems I should begin with the 4x4 upgrade. But my buddy says I should start with the ESC (which in turn would add a step of getting a new receiver for the stock included transmitter)... but I digress... want to hear from you ARRMA experts!

GO!
A little more info on Jiggs' Rig (as I'll be so cleverly calling it) - I will have 2S Lipos from the start, picked up a pair of 5200mah Zeees from Amazon, and already have the Prophet Sport Mini charger from dynamite (again just getting started here).

I'm thinking my first purchase should be a decent starter toolkit, since I'm sure I'll get tired of turning those L shaped keys.. but was also considering grabbing the 4x4 upgrade straight away or maybe a bigger pinion? Still a little clueless on gear mesh and whatnot, I'd like to at least reach the 30+ mph listed on the box as quickly as I can, so I have to understand exactly what they mean on this model for "optional gearing".

Last edited:
Welcome...

Right tools are always good, check over the rig for any slop... Most of all enjoy the purchase it will be a blast!

Howdy friends!

Beginning this fine hobby with a Granite BOOST 4x2 model... and before any of you start "poo pooing" all over it (yes I've read some of the other threads in regards to the BOOST series), I'd like to ask that this thread focus on the positive aspects of the BOOST line and how someone new like myself can gain some great experience with a brand we all seem to love, even though it may not be one of their top of the line models.

My outlook is this - a lower price point will bring more budget conscious people into ARRMA and the hobby in general. Having done many hobbies over the years, and a lot of them quite fringe, this is probably the most popular hobby I've gotten into so I'm not sure how much the general consensus is on bringing new people into the hobby, but I know most hobbies never complain when more people become involved.

I have a goal for my Granite BOOST - I want to make the "money grab" 4x4 upgrade, and convert to a 3S Brushless setup so I can compete with my buddy that introduced me to the hobby with his Brushless beasts (a Team Associated MT10 and 15 year old Traxxas Rustler that he brought into the 2020s).

So, imagine, dear ARRMA buddies, that someone you love very much gifted you a Granite BOOST 4x2 and rather than stick it in a corner because it isn't the best ARRMA has to offer, you would want to wrench on it and make it the best possible version of itself, so your loved one can see you enjoying it. This is in fact true for me because by the time I realized I "should have just bought the 3S BLX model" my wife had already picked up the BOOST for me for a Christmas gift.

It should arrive in the next few days, so my question to you all.... where would you start? From my limited knowledge and online "research" and a few trips to YouTube University it seems I should begin with the 4x4 upgrade. But my buddy says I should start with the ESC (which in turn would add a step of getting a new receiver for the stock included transmitter)... but I digress... want to hear from you ARRMA experts!

GO!
A little more info on Jiggs' Rig (as I'll be so cleverly calling it) - I will have 2S Lipos from the start, picked up a pair of 5200mah Zeees from Amazon, and already have the Prophet Sport Mini charger from dynamite (again just getting started here).

I'm thinking my first purchase should be a decent starter toolkit, since I'm sure I'll get tired of turning those L shaped keys.. but was also considering grabbing the 4x4 upgrade straight away or maybe a bigger pinion? Still a little clueless on gear mesh and whatnot, I'd like to at least reach the 30+ mph listed on the box as quickly as I can, so I have to understand exactly what they mean on this model for "optional gearing".
welcome again bud! I know I already wrote you a book but forgot to mention that
these are great hex drivers for very little. MIPs are the best but these are my daily tools that can take a beating. I’ll post other tools later.
Also, leave the gearing stock or you’ll fry the motor. Enjoy it for what it is a couple weeks while you learn. Then go nuts lol.
Neewer - Set of 4 Hexagonal Screwdrivers Made of Titanium Nitride with Coloured Handles.Compatible with 1.5, 2, 2.5 and 3mm Screws. https://a.co/d/4qDzPbJ

641E7930-4870-4E00-82D8-EFF53DC725E5.png

Welcome...

Right tools are always good, check over the rig for any slop... Most of all enjoy the purchase it will be a blast!
Picked up a Traxxas tool kit from a LHS, would rather support local than pour through reviews on Amazon at this point, after all, these will be my first tools of probably many lol

welcome again bud! I know I already wrote you a book but forgot to mention that
these are great hex drivers for very little. MIPs are the best but these are my daily tools that can take a beating. I’ll post other tools later.
Also, leave the gearing stock or you’ll fry the motor. Enjoy it for what it is a couple weeks while you learn. Then go nuts lol.
Neewer - Set of 4 Hexagonal Screwdrivers Made of Titanium Nitride with Coloured Handles.Compatible with 1.5, 2, 2.5 and 3mm Screws. https://a.co/d/4qDzPbJ

View attachment 266179
Those look nice! I'll put them on my wishlist now, lol

Engineer pliers are amazing and have saved me grief many times over with so many things. I have a normal size pair and mini.

This is a great soldering set up on a budget. There’s a 20% off coupon going on right now also.

Tilswall Soldering Station, 65W Solder Station Welding Iron with Smart Temperature Control (392°F-896°F), Extra 5pcs Soldering Tips, Built-in Transformer, Ideal for School Lab, Hobby, Electronics https://a.co/d/c23R9lQ

ENGINEER PZ-55 Damaged Screw Removal, Gripping Pliers Screw Extractors with unique vertically serrated jaws, Made in Japan https://a.co/d/6P2jIpM
Small pair

ENGINEER PZ-57 Screw Removal Pliers for tiny M2 screws (Screw Head dia. 2~3.5mm) with unique vertical serrated jaws, ESD-safe https://a.co/d/7qG2ZZP

016ED358-7589-4FC2-A642-AFE9D2037E83.png

1D3456B6-D467-4F9B-868E-09680618C890.png

37DC4BC6-F147-4DB8-B8B7-AAE335B155B6.png

The Granite Boost is in my possession! Did my first run in the front yard/driveway/street last night with a Zeee 5200mah 2S lipo at 50% throttle, got about 33 minutes and it was great aside from the low lighting conditions. Moved a lot faster than I expected under 50%. Only flipped it 3 times lol.

2nd run this afternoon in the same spot with same lipo but at 100% was an absolute joy. I was getting wheelies on the grass and was making jumps off a ramp shaped tree stump in my front yard. As much as I want big air and backflips I can't complain about this stock setup at all. Got a little less time, about 25-30 minutes of fun!

Meeting my buddy for some bashing tomorrow (if the weather cooperates) against his brushless Rustler and MT10, I know they'll be quicker but excited to see the difference anyway.

My only concern was after the 100% throttle run the motor was pretty hot. Lipo was only slightly warm. I'm curious if running two full packs back to back would overheat the motor too much or if I'll be fine. Buddy says not to worry about it but figured I had you guys so I thought I'd ask!

The Granite Boost is in my possession! Did my first run in the front yard/driveway/street last night with a Zeee 5200mah 2S lipo at 50% throttle, got about 33 minutes and it was great aside from the low lighting conditions. Moved a lot faster than I expected under 50%. Only flipped it 3 times lol.

2nd run this afternoon in the same spot with same lipo but at 100% was an absolute joy. I was getting wheelies on the grass and was making jumps off a ramp shaped tree stump in my front yard. As much as I want big air and backflips I can't complain about this stock setup at all. Got a little less time, about 25-30 minutes of fun!

Meeting my buddy for some bashing tomorrow (if the weather cooperates) against his brushless Rustler and MT10, I know they'll be quicker but excited to see the difference anyway.

My only concern was after the 100% throttle run the motor was pretty hot. Lipo was only slightly warm. I'm curious if running two full packs back to back would overheat the motor too much or if I'll be fine. Buddy says not to worry about it but figured I had you guys so I thought I'd ask!
I would suggest getting yourself a cheap laser/digital thermometer for accurately reading & monitoring motor temps. Also would be beneficial to get yourself a fan (or two) for your motor as well. Although ambient temps are cooler now, I'm assuming that Texas summer temps will be a little... stifling😆🥵

Screenshot_20230101-200020_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230101-200151_Samsung Internet.jpg

My only concern was after the 100% throttle run the motor was pretty hot.
General rule of thumb with brushed motors. Run it for seven or eight minutes and let it rest for 5. You also need to get a temperature gun. They are only 15-20 bucks on Amazon. Try not to let the motor get much over 150f. Even with my brushless cars that have powerful fans, I still make sure to let them rest every 10 minutes or so and cool off.

The esc has a cut off if the temperature gets too high, but the motors don’t. They will just burn themselves up. Also, get yourself a can of electrical cleaner. You need to clean brushed motors out every couple of runs to keep them going well. I started with a mega a couple years ago and learned all the tricks back then.

Agree with @joshludden. An IR/Laser temp gun is a great way to keep an eye on temps for both the motor or ESC. Have a couple from my nitro days and they're priceless. Heat sinks and fans also help with motor temps. There are some cheaper for your setup. Brushed motors tend to run hot any way and you can most likely replace it for less than the fan setup. Just saying.

After you meet up with your buddy, you'll probably be looking into brushless. Save your money for that setup. Been there, done that.
General rule of thumb with brushed motors. Run it for seven or eight minutes and let it rest for 5. You also need to get a temperature gun. They are only 15-20 bucks on Amazon. Try not to let the motor get much over 150f. Even with my brushless cars that have powerful fans, I still make sure to let them rest every 10 minutes or so and cool off.

The esc has a cut off if the temperature gets too high, but the motors don’t. They will just burn themselves up. Also, get yourself a can of electrical cleaner. You need to clean brushed motors out every couple of runs to keep them going well. I started with a mega a couple years ago and learned all the tricks back then.
Wow. Almost nobody cleans a brushed motor these days. Just replaces it. Well, most aren't rebuildable. Back in the early days, we'd break them totally down and clean them with electrical cleaner. Still have my brush files and armature cleaners.

Last edited:
The run with my buddy went very well. 1 full pack and most of the second pack and the motor didn't get near as hot as the time I mentioned above, and my only real issue was I kept going too far for my transmitter to send signal. We were at a pretty big open field with a dirt road (he was doing speed runs on his brushless trucks). For a laugh we hooked it up to mine and when I was able to keep it in a straight line on the dirt road I was getting about 18mph on it. A far cry from the 30mph boasted on the box, but I know that is after some finagling with the pinion and such.
received_484780093839556[1].jpeg

Big thanks for the tips and showing me Jenny's RC. Looks like I can start with replacing the SLT2 with an SLT3 (with transmitter) for the same price I'd pay just for the receiver when I begin to upgrade to brushless! I'm also going to be looking into adjustable turn buckles because one of the fixed ones on my left front end is a bit too long and I've had to compensate a bit with the steering trim. The lower prices over there will make it easier for me to buy things a piece at a time because I'll certainly be in budget mode for the near future.

Meantime, I've found a very good line to hit my "stump jump" in the front yard that is very enjoyable, will be a nice escape after a long day at work!

Looks like I can start with replacing the SLT2 with an SLT3 (with transmitter)
Think about a Dumbo rx/tx. It’s perhaps the best budget radio out there. I have two hooked up to five cars and they are great. I think 5-600 yard reach. $40 gets you a really nice set up, especially compared to stock.
Jennys is great. There is shipping so l tend to get everything I need in one order. Usually it’s 5-13 bucks depending on size/weight.

ATA HOBBY DUMBORC X4 2.4GHz 4-Channel RC Radio Transmitter and Receiver X6F with Fail-Safe & Low Voltage Alarm Function Mixed Mode for Rc Vehicle Car Boat Tank Model Parts Remote Controller https://a.co/d/h0JurJQ

059DBF92-E4F4-442F-A37A-D10573ED0F60.png

Think about a Dumbo rx/tx. It’s perhaps the best budget radio out there. I have two hooked up to five cars and they are great. I think 5-600 yard reach. $40 gets you a really nice set up, especially compared to stock.
My buddy has the Dumbo rx/tx in his rig, and was trying to sell me on it as well. It's a little more than the SLT3 combo from Jennys but I imagine I'll be happier in the long run with it so I think next payday that's going to be my first "upgrade" to my boost. I'll need to find one of those male to male extenders to run from my esc to the external receiver, but if my buddy doesn't have a spare I'm sure I can find one at my LHS. Once I get that out of the way I'm going to start some tedious research on a brushless setup - maybe some of you experts can weigh in for me with a few basic questions I have on that:

Is it better to purchase a combo pack esc and motor or if I'm being budget conscious would it hurt to buy the esc and motor separately?

If I pickup the esc and motor separately is there a big issue with compatibility?

Jenny's is currently sold out of the 3S BLX esc and motor and that was my original plan but depending on how fast they replenish their stock over there I may end up with the funds and ready to buy so I was curious if there were any recommendations for what to use for my brushless upgrade? I know this has been covered in other parts of the forum but I'd like to have some answers here for me to easily reference in a few weeks (hopefully no more than a month or two at the most) when I'm ready to pull the trigger on that upgrade.

My buddy has the Dumbo rx/tx in his rig, and was trying to sell me on it as well. It's a little more than the SLT3 combo from Jennys but I imagine I'll be happier in the long run with it so I think next payday that's going to be my first "upgrade" to my boost. I'll need to find one of those male to male extenders to run from my esc to the external receiver, but if my buddy doesn't have a spare I'm sure I can find one at my LHS. Once I get that out of the way I'm going to start some tedious research on a brushless setup - maybe some of you experts can weigh in for me with a few basic questions I have on that:

Is it better to purchase a combo pack esc and motor or if I'm being budget conscious would it hurt to buy the esc and motor separately?

If I pickup the esc and motor separately is there a big issue with compatibility?

Jenny's is currently sold out of the 3S BLX esc and motor and that was my original plan but depending on how fast they replenish their stock over there I may end up with the funds and ready to buy so I was curious if there were any recommendations for what to use for my brushless upgrade? I know this has been covered in other parts of the forum but I'd like to have some answers here for me to easily reference in a few weeks (hopefully no more than a month or two at the most) when I'm ready to pull the trigger on that upgrade.
Personally, I would get a 130a ESC off of the losi tenacity Pro, or the 120 a ESC from the 4s line. Both are on Jenny’s. If they are out simply sign up for the notify me and jump on it when they get in stock. If your budget is a bit lower then the BLX 100 is just fine and if the motor/ESC combo is what fits your budget and that’s a good start.

If you can, for the motor I would go with a rocket motor. You have a short wheel base granite if I remember right, a 3670 is a really tight fit and you have to lift the ESC to get it in. But a 4068 fits perfect. You could go with the stock size, 3660, but if you get a little bit larger can motor it’ll handle the heat better. Try to find one between 2850 and 3150 KV. I run mostly rocket motors and love them. Between 40 to 60 bucks and they last. I like the ones that have ribbed cans and I run fans directly on them without a heat sink.

You’ll also need a better servo. I like the S652 servo off the 6S line. I’ve been running them on five cars for the last two years and they are solid and also fit the 23t stock Servo ever. $20 on Jenny’s. And if you get stuff of Jenny’s, then you should also go ahead and pick up a few sets of steering assemblies which include the steering yoke, link and servo saver for just a couple of bucks each. I tend to change those out every few months or when steering suffers.

I got to go pick the kid up from school now and hit the park. I’ll try to check in later and see if I missed anything…

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back