The reasons behind not selling "kits"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I blame lazy people for more manufacturers not selling kits. It's all about that instant gratification just pull it out of the box and go.

Out of all the rtr vehicles I have purchased my HPI Firestorm had the best user manual, except for the break in instructions, those were for most part worthless and had a nice typo as well nothing like needing to run your car in figure 8 for the 3nd tank.

Hi all,

New to the forums - so hello!

I am one of I suspect a number of people out there who love building up their models as kits.

The market seems to be filled with RTR products in the main. The thing is, I'm probably being stupid but don't understand why people don't sell products in kit form?

- On the face of it, it will be cheaper to make as no factory assembly required. I recognise that depending on the motor/electronics etc the final cost could go either way.
- It opens up the market to an older and more affluent market (80s/90s folk who love their builds like me)
- It also opens up the market more to "enthusiasts" who can really modify/bespoke their builds as they see fit and help sell the models to the general public.
- It shouldn't really impact the RTR market in a significant way as the people who want to pay->play can still do so.
- Finally, and I really don't know this, it offers Arrma the opportunity to sell more upgrade parts, as people building from ground up I think are more likely to spend the money on these up front, rather than tear down and rebuild to install.

That last comment is a bit flakier than the others, but a personal observation as now with the kids/dog/wife time is much more limited, so it becomes a pain in the backside to have to break everything down just to get that one part installed.

Anyhow, would love to hear what others think. Personally, would love to buy but can't do RTR as the build is a huge part of the value to me.

Raj
0426201923_Film1.jpg
make your own arrma,talion/Mojave

I blame lazy people for more manufacturers not selling kits. It's all about that instant gratification just pull it out of the box and go.

YEP! Just like Jeff Bezos is not a genius, he just knew the lazy human nature and made a fortune off it.

As far as manuals are concerned, save it.. I'll DL the PDF if I need it.

Another "HERE" for a kit.

There’s a vendor here in Aus that sells k8s rollers - rtr minus electronics. Have you guys seen this in your region?

There’s a vendor here in Aus that sells k8s rollers - rtr minus electronics. Have you guys seen this in your region?

Yeah, sometimes the Ebay kit breakers will sell "Sliders" - complete chassis minus electrics, body, wheels and tires. Basically, they pull the stuff they can sell easy, then sell the rest for about $200.

Yeah, sometimes the Ebay kit breakers will sell "Sliders" - complete chassis minus electrics, body, wheels and tires. Basically, they pull the stuff they can sell easy, then sell the rest for about $200.
Hobao calls this an "80% kit" but they include a clear body, wheels, foams and unmounted tires.

Perfect solution in my opinion.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back