The Savox servos don't really work with the Firma 100A, 120A ESC's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bukshypro

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Typhon TLR
  3. Vorteks
I am not entirely sure, but if I remember my earlier research well, it is the stall current of the servo that wants to pull more than what the ESC actually can provide. For this reason multiple Savox servos I tried on 100A-120A ESC's, had this brownout effect, so for instance the servo had this delay. on the other hand, the Spektrum S653 servo (that I had at hand) did the work no problem and kept up without delay.
yet to test it with the 150A but I think already multiple people are using Savox servos in their 6S rigs so that just works there.

I am not entirely sure, but if I remember my earlier research well, it is the stall current of the servo that wants to pull more than what the ESC actually can provide. For this reason multiple Savox servos I tried on 100A-120A ESC's, had this brownout effect, so for instance the servo had this delay. on the other hand, the Spektrum S653 servo (that I had at hand) did the work no problem and kept up without delay.
yet to test it with the 150A but I think already multiple people are using Savox servos in their 6S rigs so that just works there.
Savox has a reputation of building amp hogs. But I’ve noticed a lot of people installing much larger servos than necessary, and perhaps that habit unfairly contributes to that reputation. Stall current is the first spec I look at when choosing a servo, then I can see options that will work without causing brownouts.
I’ve also taken to adding these to the receiver box when I’m pushing the max amps of the ESC’s BEC. https://www.amazon.com/Racers-Edge-Glitch-Buster-Capacitor/dp/B0077R5I4M/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1SA4W07VL8TTK&keywords=Glitch+buster&qid=1683977240&sprefix=glitch+busyer,aps,90&sr=8-1

Savox has a reputation of building amp hogs. But I’ve noticed a lot of people installing much larger servos than necessary, and perhaps that habit unfairly contributes to that reputation. Stall current is the first spec I look at when choosing a servo, then I can see options that will work without causing brownouts.
I’ve also taken to adding these to the receiver box when I’m pushing the max amps of the ESC’s BEC. https://www.amazon.com/Racers-Edge-Glitch-Buster-Capacitor/dp/B0077R5I4M/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1SA4W07VL8TTK&keywords=Glitch+buster&qid=1683977240&sprefix=glitch+busyer,aps,90&sr=8-1
Can you notice a different with the glitch buster installed? I’ve heard they’re effective and I’ve heard they’re snake oil. Not sure what to make of it.

You can get bigger ones as well. It worked on my NOTO when my PM servo was glitching the Spektrum ESC.

It worked on my Yeti Xl when I put a 35kg ds servo in. It was would stutter or brownout whatever you want to call it, put the glitch buster on and haven't had a problem since. I don't know if it will work for you but in my instance it fixed the issue.

I only use Savox servos, been about 13 years and too many to count. I've never had a singular problem with one of them. Then again, I've never had one hooked into a RTR Firma ESC.
This problem is only with Firma ESCs. I actually got a Hobbywing one too and so I will test it.

This problem is only with Firma ESCs. I actually got a Hobbywing one too and so I will test it.
Never had a problem with a Max6. My Mojave runs three fans, a bunch of lights, and a big AFGRC servo. I’ve heard/read that “switch mode” BEC’s are superior, but I’m not really familiar with the physics behind it.

Interesting info. I ran into a problem with the Hammer Rey and a direct power servo in the truck. I chased it around and found that by changing out the transmitter receiver to a new 2 channel receiver fixed the issue.

That said, I'm slowly switching everything over to direct power servos. It's been the way to go for all of my crawlers and seems to do just as well with the rock racers. No brownouts.

Interesting info. I ran into a problem with the Hammer Rey and a direct power servo in the truck. I chased it around and found that by changing out the transmitter receiver to a new 2 channel receiver fixed the issue.

That said, I'm slowly switching everything over to direct power servos. It's been the way to go for all of my crawlers and seems to do just as well with the rock racers. No brownouts.
That’s definitely the way to go. You can get harnesses for servos without a separate power lead to do this with existing servos as well.

I had an sg2274sg and sw1210sg too.

IMG_20230514_225841.jpg

So I tested it on a small 60A Hobbywing Max10 ESC and it works no problem. I even thought it might be because I set the BEC on 7.4V but when checked, it was on 6.0v, so it's just something with the Firma100-120A ESC's that it does this.
weird stuff. yet to test on either of my Firma 150A ESC's, but like I said, many in the community use Savox servos for their 6S+ rigs so I don't expect this problem there. But for anyone on the stock 3-4S stuff, they shouldn't use Savox servos.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back