Granite The slowest decent RC for my daughters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JvG

AliExpress Diamond Member 💎
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Kraton EXB
  4. Typhon 6s
Hi,

my daughters (8 and 10) want to drive my Rustler VXL but it's way to fast for them and it doesn't have the original esc anymore (duh), so no training mode.
The do understand they won't get a shot at the 6s Arrma's or 8s Baja so that's a start :cool:.

So i'm looking for a very slow RC with a pistol type transmitter (no sticks) and with some decent part support.
I was looking at the Arrma Voltage series with the ATX101 which has a speed rookie setting and can be dailed up after they get some experience.

Does anybody know what speed i'm looking at with the rookie setting? Or maybe another rc with the same specs?

Thanks!

Buy them good cars.

ARRMA GRANITE VOLTAGE MEGA 2WD SRS RC Monster Truck RTR with 2.4GHz Radio | 2 x Li-Ion Battery | Charger | 1:10 Scale
You can adjust the max speed in radio between 5- 30mph

ARRMA FAZON VOLTAGE MEGA 2WD SRS RC Monster Truck RTR with 2.4GHz Radio

there is this also

i have seen them for about only 100-110us at Amazon

Arrma typhon mega with nimh?
I would toss a Hobbywing WP880 and Titan 775 in it if it fits(I can test it out tomorrow evening to check if the 775 fits as I have a spare motor mount I can mess with ).

I would recommend a 1/16 scale car if you're okay with a smaller rig. Inherently so much more reliable and durable. Much more efficient electronics as far as power/weight ratio too. HBX 16889A Pro brushless with oil shocks, battery and all metal drivetrain for $90 from ebay comes to mind.

Hi,

my daughters (8 and 10) want to drive my Rustler VXL but it's way to fast for them and it doesn't have the original esc anymore (duh), so no training mode.
The do understand they won't get a shot at the 6s Arrma's or 8s Baja so that's a start :cool:.

So i'm looking for a very slow RC with a pistol type transmitter (no sticks) and with some decent part support.
I was looking at the Arrma Voltage series with the ATX101 which has a speed rookie setting and can be dailed up after they get some experience.

Does anybody know what speed i'm looking at with the rookie setting? Or maybe another rc with the same specs?

Thanks!
20-25 mph max, if even that. With Brushed.
Otherwise get them Crawlers. They do like 3mph.:giggle: I love Trail Crawling/hiking with my son. Axial/HH brand RTR Crawlers. I think they also have a 2 year warranty.
The Megas will break easy in the hands of childern. Perhaps way less than a heavier 50mph rig however. But are better suited for kids overall. Parts are fairly easy to get. And when the Electrics break, Arrma warranties them for 2 years with a receipt. No other Mfr offers 2 years free replacements. Of course it doesn't cover user error or damage from crashes. But those Mega line Motors and ESC's tend to fail. They are cheap electrics. Expect to replace the cheap Servo as well, as with most any RTR model these days.
Don't consider upgrading a Mega to BLX down the road.
Just a waste of $$$ trying to make it have 3s BLX speed and 3s drivetrain durability. Cheaper to buy a new 3s BLX 4x4 at that point.
Just my opinion.
BTW, RC hobby "Stick" Radios are a thing of the past for Surface RC use. (RC Boats and Cars) If it even ever was a thing? Not used anymore.
Youu might find some Target or Toy store $30.00 RC's that have stick radios. These are junk throw away toys. Not what you want obviously.

Last edited:
The arrma granite voltage 2 wheel drive has a dial to adjust the speed settings. The knob adjustment will turn down all the way to stopped. You can slowly raise it up from there to pick your speed. IE you can make it VERY slow

I picked this up for my kid and its fricken awesome.
Those are pretty solid. HBX and Bezgar 1/14-1/20 cars work well with little ones. Avoid the super cheap $20 ones though, not proportional. I also like this little guy. Redcat volcano 16. $88 plus $24 for good oil shocks.

A13D2521-CD3B-4ADF-9160-2BB93665DB38.jpeg

4D865128-2CD5-4D4D-BF0F-ED7A3E3B93A4.jpeg

We popped an FPV camera on the front bumper and ran the video signal to the livingroom TV. So we could sit on the couch and chase the cat around the house. It was super fun during lockdown. Pissed the cat off til no end. I think he's still sore about it. Great truck tho, no doubt.
I found it when Kev posted a video of him dropping one from a drone at like 400 feet and it still worked. I knew it was a good buy.

Those are pretty solid. HBX and Bezgar 1/14-1/20 cars work well with little ones. Avoid the super cheap $20 ones though, not proportional. I also like this little guy. Redcat volcano 16. $88 plus $24 for good oil shocks.

View attachment 247437

View attachment 247438
Got my son and myself that same Volcano. And the larger one also for my self. Bad experience for me. Trying to get parts. RCat phone calls were useless. Clueless. Parts always on B/O for months on end. Ordering Knock off parts from China tooks months. These were throw aways a year later. What a relief it was getting these broken Rcats off my bench. Not having to look at them anymore.:giggle: I even received some parts from China after I tossed them. The China parts also went to the trash.:rolleyes:
This actually prompted me to look to Arrma for Hobby grade RC's back then. My son was only 6 yo at the time. But very interested in RC at a young age and even understood durability matters. He understood what hobby grade was.

20-25 mph max, if even that. With Brushed.
Otherwise get them Crawlers. They do like 3mph.:giggle: I love Trail Crawling/hiking with my son. Axial/HH brand RTR Crawlers. I think they also have a 2 year warranty.
The Megas will break easy in the hands of childern. Perhaps way less than a heavier 50mph rig however. But are better suited for kids overall. Parts are fairly easy to get. And when the Electrics break, Arrma warranties them for 2 years with a receipt. No other Mfr offers 2 years free replacements. Of course it doesn't cover user error or damage from crashes. But those Mega line Motors and ESC's tend to fail. They are cheap electrics. Expect to replace the cheap Servo as well, as with most any RTR model these days.
Don't consider upgrading a Mega to BLX down the road.
Just a waste of $$$ trying to make it have 3s BLX speed and 3s drivetrain durability. Cheaper to buy a new 3s BLX 4x4 at that point.
Just my opinion.
BTW, RC hobby "Stick" Radios are a thing of the past for Surface RC use. (RC Boats and Cars) If it even ever was a thing? Not used anymore.
Youu might find some Target or Toy store $30.00 RC's that have stick radios. These are junk throw away toys. Not what you want obviously.

Crawler for the little guy is exactly what I need to do!

I give the kids Voltages. 2S for the 5 yo and NiMH for the 2 yo turned down way low, just for the sake fo my Shins!

I tried a few cheap Amazon trucks and once they break (and they will) you cant get parts for them. Ive thrown a few out unnecessarily otherwise.

Those Voltage Mega's take a beating and are easily repairable.

Got my son and myself that same Volcano. And the larger one also for my self. Bad experience for me. Trying to get parts. RCat phone calls were useless. Clueless. Parts always on B/O for months on end. Ordering Knock off parts from China tooks months. These were throw aways a year later. What a relief it was getting these broken Rcats off my bench. Not having to look at them anymore.:giggle: I even received some parts from China after I tossed them. The China parts also went to the trash.:rolleyes:
This actually prompted me to look to Arrma for Hobby grade RC's back then. My son was only 6 yo at the time. But very interested in RC at a young age and even understood durability matters. He understood what hobby grade was.
The current mini redcat volcano is a rebrand of an HBX something or other I think, I have the info somewhere And that’s pretty damn tough. Parts are easily available. Bummer you had trouble with them back then. Original redcat volcano sucked. I had one for about a week couple years back. Pure junk.

The current mini redcat volcano is a rebrand of an HBX something or other I think, I have the info somewhere And that’s pretty damn tough. Parts are easily available. Bummer you had trouble with them back then. Original redcat volcano sucked. I had one for about a week couple years back. Pure junk.
Another rebrand of the HBX was posted in here a few poats up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back