The unofficial Losi Tenacity DB Pro thread by Alex.M. and slick2500.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Fam just wanted to give my impressions if anyone wanted to try the belted Proline Badland MX28 HP 2.8" on the Losi DB

Live here in Memphis, hot evening today @ 7p
  • 91deg, feel like 95deg
  • Ran two battery packs back to back no rest but to change battery, 1st 3S 5500mah, 2nd 5000mah
  • Only cut off was LVC, no thermal shutdown ever
  • 2 good aftermarket fans on ESC and motor
Yes, these belted tires are heavier than stock but not heavy like weights....as for performance at my level of bashing I did not see anything in weight that slowed it down compared to all my prior tire runs...still 3S fast on the 15T pinion. I ran it in an area with dirt, little grass, rocks, and a little jump across the concrete between the street and dirt.

-- The tires being MX hooked up good to be expected...no ballooning of course...the win
-- In the loose areas, I can turn a 180deg and no flipping it bits and drifts and turn perfectly for their size...no change there
-- In areas like grass or street, these tires will bit and you can flip in a turn so it will tip up one side...not my main running areas
-- Previously, I could get a little slide or drift in those areas on the smaller tires...no loss for me it's a dirty buggy anyway
-- In my opinion, they do not feel or act like truck tires with their more narrow/tall belted setup work well as a SC tire here
-- Added tire on the surface grips so nicely and being MX28 makes it all the better so hook-up is sweet

I am open to other's thoughts on the last one or any of the above...just sharing some my experience if someone was looking at these for their Losi. I am not a jumper with this rig save that for my Big Rock so I rather run the Losi more like a DB, desert buggy, to its strong point.

Tires...feel it still has a nice ratio balance although taller....
View attachment 159673

Forgot my heat gun to report the tire, battery and motor temps...so this is all I have for the back to back runs for temp only the ESC...sorry....did good on temps this was max on the last battery run and at a stop or rest the temps did move down quickly:
View attachment 159674

Sorry for the dirty RC pic....better fans do help with temps...especially with the tires IF that is an impact here to a degree of concern for me.....
View attachment 159675

Fan is lifted on the motor heatsink for more air down-force. Same model fan on the ESC
View attachment 159676

@KiTris ExtremeRC
Loving that car,just about to buy one myself.
Did you use narrow or wide hex aluminium adapters for those pro line wheels?

Hey Fam just wanted to give my impressions if anyone wanted to try the belted Proline Badland MX28 HP 2.8" on the Losi DB

Live here in Memphis, hot evening today @ 7p
  • 91deg, feel like 95deg
  • Ran two battery packs back to back no rest but to change battery, 1st 3S 5500mah, 2nd 5000mah
  • Only cut off was LVC, no thermal shutdown ever
  • 2 good aftermarket fans on ESC and motor
Yes, these belted tires are heavier than stock but not heavy like weights....as for performance at my level of bashing I did not see anything in weight that slowed it down compared to all my prior tire runs...still 3S fast on the 15T pinion. I ran it in an area with dirt, little grass, rocks, and a little jump across the concrete between the street and dirt.

-- The tires being MX hooked up good to be expected...no ballooning of course...the win
-- In the loose areas, I can turn a 180deg and no flipping it bits and drifts and turn perfectly for their size...no change there
-- In areas like grass or street, these tires will bit and you can flip in a turn so it will tip up one side...not my main running areas
-- Previously, I could get a little slide or drift in those areas on the smaller tires...no loss for me it's a dirty buggy anyway
-- In my opinion, they do not feel or act like truck tires with their more narrow/tall belted setup work well as a SC tire here
-- Added tire on the surface grips so nicely and being MX28 makes it all the better so hook-up is sweet

I am open to other's thoughts on the last one or any of the above...just sharing some my experience if someone was looking at these for their Losi. I am not a jumper with this rig save that for my Big Rock so I rather run the Losi more like a DB, desert buggy, to its strong point.

Tires...feel it still has a nice ratio balance although taller....
View attachment 159673

Forgot my heat gun to report the tire, battery and motor temps...so this is all I have for the back to back runs for temp only the ESC...sorry....did good on temps this was max on the last battery run and at a stop or rest the temps did move down quickly:
View attachment 159674

Sorry for the dirty RC pic....better fans do help with temps...especially with the tires IF that is an impact here to a degree of concern for me.....
View attachment 159675

Fan is lifted on the motor heatsink for more air down-force. Same model fan on the ESC
View attachment 159676

@KiTris ExtremeRC
Hi
Did you use narrow or wide aluminium hex adapters on those proline wheels.
Thanks Jason.

Hi
Did you use narrow or wide aluminium hex adapters on those proline wheels.
Thanks Jason.
welcome and thx!

Those are Proline SC Badline tires so they come with no hex in the center. They include the 12mm which I used on the Losi but they sell a 14mm and 17mm option. I used the 12mm in the package so I would not have to change the hex. I used the wide adapters but the narrow looked fine also when I tried them. Ran it both ways did not feel a performance difference but I would always suggest the wider for better stability.

Looks like it would run quick 3s on the 22t pinion with the 2650kv motor, how do you think the temps would be though?
You have to modify the motor mount to get the 22t to work. The stock mount is unfortunately very limited on what you can use. i had a 22t laying around and i plugged it into the chart thinking i could stuff it in and one day see what speed i could get but it didn't fit and i never updated my chart to pull the 22t out....thus no data in the "actual speed" category for that. The internal gearing for this car is such that it would add some decent load to the motor for sure. It runs perfectly cool at 17t so its hard to say if that big a jump would take it from "just fine" to "too hot to run" in one jump, but i think it would definitely require you to watch things close. You can see the FDR goes from 10 to 7 which is almost a 30% change so that's significant. My gut is for bashing it would overheat quickly, but you could probably do some speed runs on pavement.

You have to modify the motor mount to get the 22t to work. The stock mount is unfortunately very limited on what you can use. i had a 22t laying around and i plugged it into the chart thinking i could stuff it in and one day see what speed i could get but it didn't fit and i never updated my chart to pull the 22t out....thus no data in the "actual speed" category for that. The internal gearing for this car is such that it would add some decent load to the motor for sure. It runs perfectly cool at 17t so its hard to say if that big a jump would take it from "just fine" to "too hot to run" in one jump, but i think it would definitely require you to watch things close. You can see the FDR goes from 10 to 7 which is almost a 30% change so that's significant. My gut is for bashing it would overheat quickly, but you could probably do some speed runs on pavement.
Did you run stock motor with 17t pinion? I'm thinking of putting the 17t in (currently got the 15t) with a heat sink and fan not sure if it'll get too hot even with the fan though..
Wanting to get a bit more speed out of it and also putting hoons on for road bashing..
Cheers

Did you run stock motor with 17t pinion? I'm thinking of putting the 17t in (currently got the 15t) with a heat sink and fan not sure if it'll get too hot even with the fan though..
Wanting to get a bit more speed out of it and also putting hoons on for road bashing..
Cheers
yes. car went up to 53-54mph. It's fine on road surface and hard dirt for a good 15min+ plus before heating up. bashing though....dirt, sand, grass, big hills and just general bashing it heats up quick. i'd say about 3-5 minutes and it was too hot. That's really what prompted me to increase the motor size and look toward 4s. Got the same speed but 15t gear and larger can so at 4s absolutely no heat up at all. Runs cool even when its 90+ outside.

yes. car went up to 53-54mph. It's fine on road surface and hard dirt for a good 15min+ plus before heating up. bashing though....dirt, sand, grass, big hills and just general bashing it heats up quick. i'd say about 3-5 minutes and it was too hot. That's really what prompted me to increase the motor size and look toward 4s. Got the same speed but 15t gear and larger can so at 4s absolutely no heat up at all. Runs cool even when its 90+ outside.
Thanks! Yeah I've got 17mm hex conversion on the way and some hoons ready to go.. just fancy trying it on the road with the 17t pininon, will get the heat sink and fan from 3s arrma, seen a few use them and had good results 👍

Thanks! Yeah I've got 17mm hex conversion on the way and some hoons ready to go.. just fancy trying it on the road with the 17t pininon, will get the heat sink and fan from 3s arrma, seen a few use them and had good results 👍
nice, have fun. The hoons are a little smaller diameter tire so that will cut some speed off but you will have way better control. i popped a 3800kv hobby star in mine once with the 17t and got to 67mph but the car was all over the place with stock tires. i changed down to speedclaw street tires and it stuck well but dropped 6mph due to the diameter of the tire. it was fun to drive though.

nice, have fun. The hoons are a little smaller diameter tire so that will cut some speed off but you will have way better control. i popped a 3800kv hobby star in mine once with the 17t and got to 67mph but the car was all over the place with stock tires. i changed down to speedclaw street tires and it stuck well but dropped 6mph due to the diameter of the tire. it was fun to drive though.
Wow! I bet that thing was flying!
Yeah I fancy a bit of a change from off road, looking forward to tyring it on the hoons with bigger pinion.. I might get a GPS see what it runs at 😎

Heat sink and fan installed (used the 3s arrma) had to trim 4 fins off the outside to fit..
Waiting on 17mm hex conversion and aluminium fan, got the 17t pinion back in and hoons ready!
20220315_150727.jpg
20220315_150704.jpg

Thanks! Just waiting on a couple of parts then I'll try it out on the hoons!
What changes are you making?

Still keeping it as a basher. Just want it to run cooler. Have a 2650kv motor removing the 3150kv which can get really hot on a 3S bash in the warm weather running the 15T pinion. The 2650kv with a 18T pinion will run cooler less RPMs over the stock motor with this engine still on 3S will give me about the same speed minus a 1-3 miles I will never see anyway since I am bashing.

I did add a more powerful fan on it so this helped a lot with 3150kv stock motor it runs off a 3S battery so did help my heat. I still want more efficient electronics.

Pic of fan...on old motor will change the motor this weekend the 18T pinion came today

1647396123527.png

Still keeping it as a basher. Just want it to run cooler. Have a 2650kv motor removing the 3150kv which can get really hot on a 3S bash in the warm weather running the 15T pinion. The 2650kv with a 18T pinion will run cooler less RPMs over the stock motor with this engine still on 3S will give me about the same speed minus a 1-3 miles I will never see anyway since I am bashing.

I did add a more powerful fan on it so this helped a lot with 3150kv stock motor it runs off a 3S battery so did help my heat. I still want more efficient electronics.

Pic of fan...on old motor will change the motor this weekend the 18T pinion came today

View attachment 206508
Wow nice rig! that fan set up looks awesome!
I hear you, I'll keep a close eye on motor temps but hopefully on road should be OK with the hoons, I've got an aluminium fan on the way but I'm going dual 30mm fan on this one I think..
It's been pretty cold here weather wise and motor never got even hot to touch with the 15t pinion (off road bash)
I'll gear it down if it starts getting hot or maybe mitor swap like you.. what motor you putting in?

Wow nice rig! that fan set up looks awesome!
I hear you, I'll keep a close eye on motor temps but hopefully on road should be OK with the hoons, I've got an aluminium fan on the way but I'm going dual 30mm fan on this one I think..
It's been pretty cold here weather wise and motor never got even hot to touch with the 15t pinion (off road bash)
I'll gear it down if it starts getting hot or maybe mitor swap like you.. what motor you putting in?

Putting a Hobbystar 3074 2650kv I got it off ebay for $40. Same as a user here @E-fanatic but he is not active have not seen him post or reply to messages...but it's deep in this thread.

I just put the motor on but the 18T pinion is almost an exact fit with making any adjustments....there is no room for adjustment or any larger pinion.

Eat some dinner and put it all back together. I also added the Losi metal center diff while I had it open.

1647476623189.png
1647476663128.png

Added the washer and oring tip on the motor shaft to help keep dirt out. Used here but others on the Arrma rigs...not my tip came from another user
1647476719517.png

Putting a Hobbystar 3074 2650kv I got it off ebay for $40. Same as a user here @E-fanatic but he is not active have not seen him post or reply to messages...but it's deep in this thread.

I just put the motor on but the 18T pinion is almost an exact fit with making any adjustments....there is no room for adjustment or any larger pinion.

Eat some dinner and put it all back together. I also added the Losi metal center diff while I had it open.

View attachment 206689View attachment 206690

Added the washer and oring tip on the motor shaft to help keep dirt out. Used here but others on the Arrma rigs...not my tip came from another user
View attachment 206692
That motor looks beasty in there! Looks great 👍
Yeah there's not much room in the motor mount, I think 18t should be good with that motor along with the metal centre diff, should keep temps under control, let us know how it runs..

Thanks for the oring tip, will have to try that.. 👌
Have you modded the cabin area to fit the motor fan? Mines an exact fit but was thinking of putting vent holes in..

OK finally got the 12 - 17mm hexs installed and threadlocked! used the hot racing with 6mm offset with new set of hoons on..
also used dual 30mm aluminium fans wired to the receiver, mounted on an arrma 3s heat sink and wires tidied, 17t pinion installed..
I absolutely can't wait to get this on the tarmac 😎
Few pics
20220317_151831.jpg
20220317_152340.jpg
20220317_152611.jpg
20220317_152635.jpg
20220317_151816.jpg

Thanks! Weather looks good this weekend so will let you know how it runs.. 👍

Same with you....let me know how it runs. Today was a good day....

I was able to get on the golf course today without being run off ..this time. 73deg today and run it good in the fairway nice drifts, small golf hills for little air off the fairway for some dirt action. The 2650kv with the 18T temp was about 95deg halfway in the run. When I finished the full battery pack it was 104-109deg range.

I am pleased with this first run....I will run it more did not bring more batteries because I normally get run off the golf course.

Back