The You Tubes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaPa Thorn

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Notorious
  4. Typhon 6s
My wife got bit by the YouTube bug and wants to start a channel. Not about RC's, but with the equipment around she'll probably make a few of me crashing.

She's having a little trouble deciding on editing software so I told her I'd ask you guys. So, watcha using? Is there something you wish the software you use had? Are the free ones decent at all, or would she be better buying a package?

It doesn't have to be super simple either, like I said it's for her, not me.

Cyberlink Powerdirector 18 is pretty user friendly. There is a free version with limited options and a watermark. The paid version is a monthly subscription which includes all updates plus bonus add ons. Pretty good bang for the buck.

Cyberlink Powerdirector 18 is pretty user friendly. There is a free version with limited options and a watermark. The paid version is a monthly subscription which includes all updates plus bonus add ons. Pretty good bang for the buck.

Can't you pay by year too?

Last edited:
I use Wondershare, it is pretty decent and simple to use IMO. Free updates and they have a bunch of add ons you can purchase if you would like.

I paid for the year / by the year. Its the best way to stay updated and get all features.

I use PowerDirector 365. Didn't take long at all for me to get comfortable and I had zero experience. I watch some tutorials and trick videos here and there and even motivated me to buy a new camera. Should be here today.
https://www.cyberlink.com/store/powerdirector-video-editing-software/buy_en_US.html

I don't know what I would want out of the software that I don't have. I do feel some of the plugins and effects are kinda kitschy and tired but I imagine this is a personal thing and all software will have it's cheese here and there.

Personally I use "Windows Movie Maker" but I'm no professional and only make the odd video for fun or for family/friends to watch.

An example of one of the videos I made using the Windows movie maker.
Link:

Completely free and easy to use imho. You can add music, pictures, trim videos, add credits etc etc. (y)

I paid for the year / by the year. Its the best way to stay updated and get all features.

I use PowerDirector 365. Didn't take long at all for me to get comfortable and I had zero experience. I watch some tutorials and trick videos here and there and even motivated me to buy a new camera. Should be here today.
https://www.cyberlink.com/store/powerdirector-video-editing-software/buy_en_US.html

What's with the Lifetime tier other then it's basic? It's not having to buy that + the subscription tier, is it?

What's with the Lifetime tier other then it's basic? It's not having to buy that + the subscription tier, is it?

Good question. I was confused too but figure that's the cost for buying the physical box software online or in store and having a lifetime key for unlimited upgrades. So if you found a deal on the physical copy of PowerDirector 15 but now 18 is out, you'd be stuck without the new features unless you bought the lifetime deal. I figured the yearly was the way to go for all updates and versions. For instance, PD18 I think is the first version that offers support and abilities to edit for the new 360 degree cams and all.
Doubt I'll get one of those 360 cams right now but I also never thought I'd get a better camera than my $75 refurb GP Session. I have seen some neat fpv 360 footage on rc quads and airplanes.
I use Wondershare, it is pretty decent and simple to use IMO. Free updates and they have a bunch of add ons you can purchase if you would like.

Last year when I asked Werner Sline what software he used I think he told me Wondershare. I'm sure it's at least as good as PowerDirector but I got PD because other guys here in the forum use it and maybe I'd get help if I needed some tips.

Personally I use "Windows Movie Maker" but I'm no professional and only make the odd video for fun or for family/friends to watch.

Link:

Completely free and easy to use imho. You can add music, pictures, trim videos, add credits etc etc. (y)
Unless you have an older version of Windows, then "Windows Movie Maker" is no longer available or supported. In Windows 10, you can use the Photos app to create / edit videos with the ability to have music, text and effects.

Public Service Announcement: Windows 7 will no longer be supported as of January 14, 2020. If you do not have Win10, you may be able to upgrade to Win10 ... or you may want to use Black Friday to find a new machine. Any releases prior to Windows 7 are already unsupported - and unsupported systems should not be on the Internet. Please surf in cyber space safely and help make it safer for everyone else (by keeping your systems up to date and free of issues).

Last edited:
Unless you have an older version of Windows, then "Windows Movie Maker" is no longer available or supported. In Windows 10, you can use the Photos app to create / edit videos with the ability to have music, text and effects.

I thought I remember reading that Movie Maker was around and there was a fix for Windows 10 but I could never find it. I haven't used the Photos app but it's probably worth checking out for video as long as it's already there.

On Windows 10, the Photos app is what replaced Windows Movie Maker.

Last edited:

Public Service Announcement: Windows 7 will no longer be supported as of January 14, 2020. If you do not have Win10, you may be able to upgrade to Win10 ... or you may want to use Black Friday to find a new machine. Any releases prior to Windows 7 are already unsupported - and unsupported systems should not be on the Internet. Please surf in cyber space safely and help make it safe for everyone else (by keeping your systems up to date and free of issues).
I know where you can get legit Windows 10 pro keys for like $13, I've purchased 4 now.

I know where you can get legit Windows 10 pro keys for like $13, I've purchased 4 now.
As long as you beat the real owner to the activation you’re good ??

As long as they're legit, I'm all for it.

You may be able to upgrade to Win10 home for free.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/
Yep you only need a W7 or W8 key to install and activate the related W10 version for free on a clean install. Once installed and activated, you will have a digital W10 license forever.

You can also upgrade in place from W7 or W8 and skip the key input and it will still activate fine. Have done this hundreds of times and not a single one had issues.

Link:

That's ok until you up the framerate beyond 60fps, even that @1080p is rough to edit the source with a decent computer.

I use an older version of PD16. It was a pay once download. Allowed me to do PIP type videos and it will temporarily downcovert your source to something that can be more easily editable (depending on the hardware), then when you generate the output file, it uses the original source.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back