Outcast There's a ghost in my Outcast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Not a happy camper today.
Something is wrong with my baby.
Before I explain, let me preface by saying all of my rates and trim settings are correct. The battery is fully charged, i.e. - everything is as it should be, this is not a noob thing or a user related problem.

When I powered on the truck last night something very peculiar happened.
I turned the wheel before I applied throttle, and bam - the truck bolted on me and came to stop 5 feet away. I thought to myself - I must have applied throttle incidently, but alas that is not the case. After messing about for a short while, the problem made itself more apparent. When I turn the wheels all the way to the left and hold that position for a few moments, and then release the wheel and let the servo return to nuetral position - I get a shot of throttle. It does not happen every time, but when it does I can see the link LED on the rx flash briefly (I had the case open to see what the link was doing - and if it was breaking it's bind momentarily, which it is).
Also, if I turn the tx off with the truck power still on, than I get a full throttle response from the truck.
Again, not every time...but any time more than never - is a sign something is amiss.

Contacted Hobbico, and they sending me a new rx to try out.
I am doubtful this will solve the issue.
In doing some reading the best explanation I can come up with is a faulty BEC in the ESC.

Or, it's my battery...which maybe is sending to much amperage and thereby tripping the step down voltage regulator (BEC) which then cuts power to the rx and explains the temporary link loss (light goes out and comes back on).

Any thoughts?
You guys think it's the receiver, or the ESC (BEC), or the battery?

They are sending me a receiver, not the ESC.
So last night after doing some very extensive troubleshooting, and re-calibrating all the ESC settings - I have concluded it is 100% the ESC.
The default failsafe set up had completely disappeared, which I had to to reset.
Also, the ESC will not reset itself to a default setting. Turn on Tx, then truck, hold the set button for 4 seconds...and you should get red and green LED flashing simultaneously- not in my case, it won't work and all the previous settings still remain (punch, brake etc.).
Best I can conclude is the BEC in the ESC is not doing its job. Voltage step down is not functioning as it should. My guess the v-reg chip on the PCB for the BEC is blown, or compromised.
Just got off the phone with Hobbico...I have asked them to send me a new ESC and I ship them back the one I have.
No answer today on if they will, but they have committed to let me know in Monday.

Ughhh, what a fiasco this all has been, lol
I just want to use the truck, weather here this weekend is hospitable, but I can take her out as I am not comfortable in case something fails...then I might have bigger problems at hand!:(

Bullet connector length is different, and then I would need to solder the XT90's to it.
The BLX185 is just plug and play.
I don't think it's a bad ESC overall (when functioning correctly, I just got a lemon).
Plus if I do an aftermarket ESC, then it may void the warranty in the event of further problems!

Last edited:
What does the failsafe do? I came across that last night in the manual and it didn't provide much explanation of what it does.

The failsafe will stop the car from applying throttle or steering input (basically denying the ESC any power), so that if in the event you are driving the truck and the radio loses signal wit the receiver - the truck won't go running off in to the sunset, or accelerate full speed in to an object, person - or anything else in its patho_O

I have something like it but different. I don't know if the outcast is different or not but some times I turn the truck on before the receiver and twice now the truck took off like a bat out of hell. Good thing one time happened in the store the other time I ran my daughter over in the house. (not good tho)

That is your fail safe setting...
Does the truck bolt forwards or backwards?
Mine was doing that too early on (would apply full throttle backwards), but I fixed it.
The failsafe mode is to 'protect' the truck in the event you lose radio signal.
In theory, it should just stop...no power, no steering input etc.
It is very easy to set up, just check your manual.
You can define what the truck does in Failsafe mode.
Obviously you want to set it to do nothing....so as you are going through the set up just don't apply any tx inputs.
Once you are done and all is complete you'll notice once you turn the tx off with the truck still on (which you should never do BTW, but I have made that mistake before a few times accidentally), it will do nothing.

That is your fail safe setting...
Does the truck bolt forwards or backwards?
Mine was doing that too early on (would apply full throttle backwards), but I fixed it.
The failsafe mode is to 'protect' the truck in the event you lose radio signal.
In theory, it should just stop...no power, no steering input etc.
It is very easy to set up, just check your manual.
You can define what the truck does in Failsafe mode.
Obviously you want to set it to do nothing....so as you are going through the set up just don't apply any tx inputs.
Once you are done and all is complete you'll notice once you turn the tx off with the truck still on (which you should never do BTW, but I have made that mistake before a few times accidentally), it will do nothing.

To be honest I don't remember if it was fwd or rvs. I will pull the truck out this weekend and take a look. Thank you for the heads up.

I have something like it but different. I don't know if the outcast is different or not but some times I turn the truck on before the receiver and twice now the truck took off like a bat out of hell. Good thing one time happened in the store the other time I ran my daughter over in the house. (not good tho)

Always transmitter first on then the truck then when turning off truck first then the transmitter stops runaway rcs

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back