Thermal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dms70

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
So my V3 Kraton isn’t stock anymore. M2c chassis, Voltage aluminum throughout, HR hubs etc. Electronics are max6 Hobbystar 4082 2000kv 16t. Diffs have all been gone through (more than once) 60/100/30. Running Proline Badlands (not mx38)

Ok so what seems to be out of the blue, while running yesterday, I believe I was experiencing thermal cut off. Running in dirt with some grass also. Grass I know can have a lot of resistance, but this had been cut recently and I stayed out of it the best I could. Originally I thought I had hit lvc but the elapsed time didn’t make sense. After refreshing my memory on the led status of the max6 I knew what to look for. But the thing is I never saw any blinking green or red. It would sit for a few maybe 5-10 minutes, and run again. A buddy said he did see the thermal led blinking so I believe him, but when I would check it, I saw nothing. The day was cool at around 65deg and cloudy. This isn’t a new set up as I’ve run it before, even at same location. I had recently picked up some new 6s single packs and thought, jeez I’m not getting good run time out of these. But I think I had hit thermal before, but just didn’t think to check. I guess I didn’t think of it because the default setting on the max6 is 221deg f and never thought it was getting that hot. I would normally always touch it, but perhaps internally it was hotter? It has a working fan, and I run the Yeah Racing heatsink with dual 30’s on the motor. Anyone experience similar or have any suggestions? I know I can drop pinion size, but I was under the impression that would affect motor temps more.

So my V3 Kraton isn’t stock anymore. M2c chassis, Voltage aluminum throughout, HR hubs etc. Electronics are max6 Hobbystar 4082 2000kv 16t. Diffs have all been gone through (more than once) 60/100/30. Running Proline Badlands (not mx38)

Ok so what seems to be out of the blue, while running yesterday, I believe I was experiencing thermal cut off. Running in dirt with some grass also. Grass I know can have a lot of resistance, but this had been cut recently and I stayed out of it the best I could. Originally I thought I had hit lvc but the elapsed time didn’t make sense. After refreshing my memory on the led status of the max6 I knew what to look for. But the thing is I never saw any blinking green or red. It would sit for a few maybe 5-10 minutes, and run again. A buddy said he did see the thermal led blinking so I believe him, but when I would check it, I saw nothing. The day was cool at around 65deg and cloudy. This isn’t a new set up as I’ve run it before, even at same location. I had recently picked up some new 6s single packs and thought, jeez I’m not getting good run time out of these. But I think I had hit thermal before, but just didn’t think to check. I guess I didn’t think of it because the default setting on the max6 is 221deg f and never thought it was getting that hot. I would normally always touch it, but perhaps internally it was hotter? It has a working fan, and I run the Yeah Racing heatsink with dual 30’s on the motor. Anyone experience similar or have any suggestions? I know I can drop pinion size, but I was under the impression that would affect motor temps more.
I've never had my Max6 thermal, even when I ran it with a dead fan. I would think you motor would be cooked before the ESC got too hot. Are you sure the fan is working?

I've never had my Max6 thermal, even when I ran it with a dead fan. I would think you motor would be cooked before the ESC got too hot. Are you sure the fan is working?
I just replaced the fan the run before. Today I took it out and did some testing. I confirmed my suspicion, I have no led lights at all. None of the basic functions are giving any led indication. I mean whatever, as long as it works, I wouldn’t care at this point. 5 minutes in it shut off. Let it sit for another 5 or so minutes, back to life. Took it home, and went through the programming. Did a reset just for the hell of it. Took off the fan cover, and there’s 2 broken blades, but yes it still was and is working. I’ve lost count on how many fans I’ve replaced on this thing.

Does the discharge rating of the new packs meet the requirements for the Max6? Just throwing it out there....something to check I guess...I don’t know much about the Max6 in terms of specs.
That’s a good point. However it happened with other batteries I have. They are 50c though.

Also noticed this substance by the capacitors. Not sure what it is, but I don’t remember seeing it before. I talked to my lhs today, and I’m going to put a new one in, and send this off to Hobbywing.

Attachments

• D173A9FE-7987-45BB-862E-609C736DE56C.jpeg
    D173A9FE-7987-45BB-862E-609C736DE56C.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 49
Also noticed this substance by the capacitors. Not sure what it is, but I don’t remember seeing it before. I talked to my lhs today, and I’m going to put a new one in, and send this off to Hobbywing.
Definitely send that in.

I do not like the Max 6 ESC's. I've got 2 in their boxes. Trying to do speed runs, they do a thermal cut down VERY quickly. I know I am running a high gear, but it was ridiculous. On mine, I would get the over heat beep signal, short/long/short. I now have a MXLX to try, and have used the link to set the power wide open. Max6 does not have that option. Have not run yet.

I’m still a fan of Hobbywing products, and still think it’s the best out there for what I need. I ran it today, and although I didn’t run it as hard, it didn’t shut down. I did a factory reset on it last night, and put a new fan in it. However I’m still going to put a new one in, and send this one back. Hopefully they will warranty it.

So I put a new Max6 in, and put some run time on it. When running it hard it went thermal again. At least now I have working leds to let me know what’s going on. It seems that powering the esc off and back on resets the thermal cut off. So I’m not confident that it’s that critical. I’m thinking of raising the temp cut off, because it really doesn’t seem like it’s going to be a problem. I just won’t run it that way until the cooler weather comes back. Hopefully HW will warranty it and I won’t have to pay for the new one. If not, then oh well, it’s the price you pay for having fun. It could be a lot worse. Oh and that rubbery substance that was in between my capacitors. The new one has it too.

So I put a new Max6 in, and put some run time on it. When running it hard it went thermal again. At least now I have working leds to let me know what’s going on. It seems that powering the esc off and back on resets the thermal cut off. So I’m not confident that it’s that critical. I’m thinking of raising the temp cut off, because it really doesn’t seem like it’s going to be a problem. I just won’t run it that way until the cooler weather comes back. Hopefully HW will warranty it and I won’t have to pay for the new one. If not, then oh well, it’s the price you pay for having fun. It could be a lot worse. Oh and that rubbery substance that was in between my capacitors. The new one has it too.
I run that exact same combo (Max6 and Hobbystar 4082 2000kv motor) in my Notorious. I want to say I'm running a 15 or 16 tooth pinion. The ESC doesn't thermal on me. What is the light pattern for thermal shutdown?

I run that exact same combo (Max6 and Hobbystar 4082 2000kv motor) in my Notorious. I want to say I'm running a 15 or 16 tooth pinion. The ESC doesn't thermal on me. What is the light pattern for thermal shutdown?
Blinking green (slow blinking)
I’m running a 16t pinion. However it’s not a pinion issue, as that would heat up the motor, as you know. The issue is me and my buddies like to race around a dirt track (primarily baseball infields) chasing each other, and dirt tracking around the diamond. This type of running where you are in the throttle a lot, with a lot of wheel spin, coupled with the increasing ambient temps this time of year, is asking to much of it. (This is my conclusion based on what I’ve experienced) We did the same stuff back in late fall early winter, and had no issues. Although one buddy is on a stock blx system and he hasn’t experienced this yet. Which kind of puzzles us with max6’s thinking we have a far superior esc. One buddy with almost same set up as me dropped back down from 14t to 12t pinion thinking that was the issue, but still experienced thermal cut off.

After having it explained to me I went on the Hobbywing site. Listed in the max6 specs is motor kv ratings. For 6s it says less than or equal to 1500kv.. I saw that before but admittedly thought it meant the opposite. Now I’m wondering if that has been causing my thermal issues? When choosing a new esc the max6 seemed like the obvious choice, and I’ll I could find where positive results. However perhaps in my situation and how I like to run my Kraton the max8 would be the better option. Further testing is needed. lol

After having it explained to me I went on the Hobbywing site. Listed in the max6 specs is motor kv ratings. For 6s it says less than or equal to 1500kv.. I saw that before but admittedly thought it meant the opposite. Now I’m wondering if that has been causing my thermal issues? When choosing a new esc the max6 seemed like the obvious choice, and I’ll I could find where positive results. However perhaps in my situation and how I like to run my Kraton the max8 would be the better option. Further testing is needed. lol
What KV motor are you running?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back