Outcast Thicker oil eliminates leak on the 4s shocks??found this on youtube

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surchaufeur

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Nero
  4. Notorious
My 4s never leaked on me maybe because i changed the oil after a week or two in my kraton is it possible that arrma uses junk shock oil for the 3-4s line up lol
He said the front shocks leaked out and he has put heavier shock fluid like the hobbyshop told him to do before rebuilding or buying new shocks and they did not leak? but the rear started to leak big stonk. Maybe thats the real issue with the 4s shocks bad tolerances in a fee batches +weird shock oil resulting into a leakage of the whole thing idk what magic is into this but i think i should maybe service my 6s shocks lol been 3-4 months since i messed with them

I had a set of 4 Proline scaler shocks that leaked out the gate. I Run between 22.5-40 weight depending on which Axial rig and its running weight. Proline was no help either. I replaced the new o-rings with another new set and they still leaked. I used Green slime and all. I upped the weight to 50 and the the leaking did slow down drastcially, enough to get several weeks out of them. But just sitting on my shelf over time they would leak out. I went even thicker, mixing a higher weight with the 50w, but at some point too thick just messes up the driveability. Oil weight should not be too thick where it doesn't work well and goes against you. Thickening the oil alone to cure leaks is not correct. So I modded the pistons by opening up the holes a bit and got less shock pack as desired.
So thicker oil can offset leakage in some applications but at some point it just becomes too thick and upsets the desired shock pack. By modding the pistons you can offset the negative affect of that thick oil.(y):cool: Good topic.
BTW, not a fan of any PL upgrade shocks. Support was horrible, sent them back as instructed, they returned them and they never even touched them. They just offered a 50% Off coupon code for anything on their website. The best they could do. And believe it or not I actually purchased TRX4 shocks from Jennys and never looked back. They actually are one of the best crawler shocks around as many in the Crawler crowd have noted.

Last edited:
Its just crappy, hard, rubber orings that they use that cause the leaks, If they used better quality silicone orings it would be no issue. I don't have any experience with the 4s shocks, but as soon as i put the blue silicone traxxas orings in my 3s shocks, with the same shock oil, they haven't leaked since. ?‍♂️

Running thicker oil does not solve the issue of leaking shocks. That would be like adding thicker viscosity motor oil to an engine to silence the noisy ticking lifters.

Personally, I run Typhon 6s shocks so I don’t have any leaks. But I replaced theseals on my gmade crawler shocks with traxxas x-rings (p/n 5462). Note: These seals are for 3.5mm shafts only.

Do you happen to know which ones? My shocks are starting to weep a bit.
I had some spare Traxxas ultra shocks laying around with I pulled apart and used the orings out of them. But the rebuild kit Tra2362 have the orings in them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back