Granite Things that cause the ESC to brick.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuzboss

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Senton 6s
So I have a Emaxx with a BLX 100 setup in it (sue me) and I posted a week or two ago that the motor was cogging horribly to the point where it didnt even move so i replaced the esc and its doing it again after a jump. Is there something that causes these ESCs to go bad? My Granite 4x4 BLX has no issues but maybe because its a bigger and heavier truck? What keeps causing it?

Lots of things can brick an esc. Impact, bad motor,water,too high amp draw even just poor quality. What esc did you replace it with?

The regular BLX 100. Horizon is replacing it. Even they were surprised. They claim the motor has nothing to do with it.

Yeah I will say the 3 rigs I have with the blx100 are junk. It cogs extremely bad and overloads easily. I have started to replace mine with the blx185.

I can run a BLX120 or 185 with the regular 3S motor?

Oh yes you can and the esc will run much cooler. You can go up just don't go down... also don't think you are going to run that motor of 6s lol keep in mind on avg a motor is good for around 50,000rpm the kv of motor x voltage being applied is your aprox rpm. The closer you get to 50,000rpm the less life it will have?

So if I run a BLX 185 esc and motor only on 3S, will it be the same thing as running the BLX 100 esc on 3S or will it be faster?

So if I run a BLX 185 esc and motor only on 3S, will it be the same thing as running the BLX 100 esc on 3S or will it be faster?
It has a potential for being a little faster by means of not being a limiting factor. Hope that makes sense.

An explanation would be awesome. My Emaxx will shred apart with anything above 3S, 4S is pushing it. My actual 6S emaxx cant even handle the 6S its made for so i built a 3S emaxx with arrma parts because i love the system but i keep blowing ESCs. If I can put a BLX185 motor and ESC in it but not sacrafice speed thatd be awesome. The 6S BLX system has a 2050KV motor I believe if I remember putting together my Limitless correctly and less KV with the same amount of voltage I was running my 3200KV motor equals less top end? Or am I on a different page?

You can always use a larger rated ESC. Just like you can use a larger AH battery. You need to match your battery voltage (cell count) to your motor. The ESC has to be capable of at least this amount, but can surely be rated for much more and will run cooler.

So yes, you can run a 300a ESC with a 60a motor as long as you run the correct voltage (cell count) that matches your motor. The motor will only draw the current (amps) that it needs. So even if your ESC is rated up to 300a, but the motor only needs 60a, that is all it will draw from the ESC.

Yes that i understand. But If I get a BLX 185 ESC and 2050KV motor combo, i want to know how it will perform on 3S compared to the BLX 100 ESC 3200KV on 3S. How similar/different will it be?

Yes that i understand. But If I get a BLX 185 ESC and 2050KV motor combo, i want to know how it will perform on 3S compared to the BLX 100 ESC 3200KV on 3S. How similar/different will it be?
Ahhhhh now I get your question. It will be much slower with the same pinion, but you can simply use a larger pinion and keep the same speed and run cold as ice.

So I have a Emaxx with a BLX 100 setup in it (sue me) and I posted a week or two ago that the motor was cogging horribly to the point where it didnt even move so i replaced the esc and its doing it again after a jump. Is there something that causes these ESCs to go bad? My Granite 4x4 BLX has no issues but maybe because its a bigger and heavier truck? What keeps causing it?

Could be geared too high. That's usually the reason for cogging.

Might be geared too high but it doesn't cog a little at all. It goes from smooth running to not moving at all.

The blx 100 is junk. It doesn't handle amps at all. My stock rig with it in it.. if I try to put my foot against it to do a burn out it will literally shut down after half a second. Trying to climb a hill slow it will shut down. It even gets to a point at times where full throttle will only kick in after a second or two of holding it down. It's just a bad esc.

BLX100 has been great for me. Ran it for a year in the Granite, no problems. Liked it so much I bought 2 more systems to put in other vehicles.

Glad you are having luck with them. Most of us are not lol.
A simple forum search of blx100 will show it isn't one of the best out there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back