Big Rock Thinking about a Big Rock...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jptothetree

Reaction score
Hello Arrma crew,

Thinking about picking up a Big Rock in the not-so-distant future, because I've heard good things. I'm curious what upgrades are mandatory for the rig, what commonly breaks / has issues, what other bodies fit, and overall people's impression of this little truck! It just appears to be a good little fun truck that's not too hard on the wallet, but I'm curious how the Arrmaforum feels about it.

Any information is appreciated!

- Joel

Stop thinking and get your credit card out! :)

It's brilliant. I got one recently after having various cars including nitro buggies and an old RC18T.

It's far from little in my eyes but maybe compared to a 6s but it dwarves my 1/8 buggy.

Been very happy with it stock. It's taken the hammer of me my 8 year old learning to drive. Failed backflips, 20+ cartwheels, snow, mud, wet grass, power wheelies. Not an issue so far apart from one bent screw on the lower shock mount. I got a 20 pack off eBay!

All I've done in charge the LiPo, put a couple of stickers on it and rip.

16 minutes run time wide open, 57 minutes pottering round my garden.

The only thing I have to complain about is the body clips are very fiddly. I think I'll bend them to make like easier.

From what I read, servo could be better so I may upgrade later but it's fine so far.

Last edited:
Hello Arrma crew,

Thinking about picking up a Big Rock in the not-so-distant future, because I've heard good things. I'm curious what upgrades are mandatory for the rig, what commonly breaks / has issues, what other bodies fit, and overall people's impression of this little truck! It just appears to be a good little fun truck that's not too hard on the wallet, but I'm curious how the Arrmaforum feels about it.

Any information is appreciated!

- Joel
Yeah, its nice but once the control arms/suspension arms break I would recomend RPM arms. I'm sure everyone would.

Reading everything and thankful for each response. What size 3S batteries are people typically running in these things?
I run a 5200 mAh 3s common sense lectron pro in my typhon. If you get a battery make sure it is the EC5 connector. You can run whatever mAh you want, its' just the bigger the mAh, the longer the battery life is. A 6000 mAh will last twice as long as a 3000 mAh. A 5200 mAh battery can provide 5200 milliamps or 5.2 amps for 1 hour before it dies.

I run a 5200 mAh 3s common sense lectron pro in my typhon. If you get a battery make sure it is the EC5 connector. You can run whatever mAh you want, its' just the bigger the mAh, the longer the battery life is. A 6000 mAh will last twice as long as a 3000 mAh. A 5200 mAh battery can provide 5200 milliamps or 5.2 amps for 1 hour before it dies.
For sure, but I know some people think too heavy a battery will throw off the balance in a smaller truck so I'm wondering how big people typically go. How much run time do you get with a 5200?

LOL okay now that might be overkill :LOL:
I dropped a lot of money in my 3s rigs when I first got back into the hobby. I don't regret it though, they're little beasts! I graduated to 6s and 8s now. 💪

Seems like a good choice overall, for sure! Gonna wait until I move mid-April before I pull the trigger on it though :p Will post photos when it arrives.

Run it straight OTB, it doesn't need anything. Upgrade as you break stuff. Its a tough little truck as is.
This. Getting ahead of yourself is kind of silly sometimes. I found 'upgrades' would be the first things broken. It was preferable to let things break and then buy a hopped up part to replace it.

If you're really hard on it you'll be spending money to keep it running. No sense in going crazy ahead of time buying parts you don't necessarily need.

I would get a spur gear as a spare. That's a no brainer. Anything else? Who knows? See what breaks first.

This. Getting ahead of yourself is kind of silly sometimes. I found 'upgrades' would be the first things broken. It was preferable to let things break and then buy a hopped up part to replace it.

If you're really hard on it you'll be spending money to keep it running. No sense in going crazy ahead of time buying parts you don't necessarily need.

I would get a spur gear as a spare. That's a no brainer. Anything else? Who knows? See what breaks first.

Seems reasonable to me. I was definitely too trigger happy with my last Typhon 6S on upgrade parts so I won't be going that route again!

For bodies, I am working on putting a 4S Kraton body and wing on my big rock for a different look. Combined with Granite tires it will be a 3S Kraton. There is a thread out here that I saw someone else do it so you can search for that...

Really good truck overall. You'll have a good time with it.
Hurricane

Great choice. You will not be disappointed. Well maybe on the tires when offroad. I tried all 4 3S lines. You cant go wrong in either big rock or typhon. I have not broken anything other than the chassis. Since I put the proline MX28 badlands and launching it. It totally transform the truck better air control, but got a little heavy. I also upgrade the spur gear to the HR metal gear. I have not strip the stock plastic spur.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back