Big Rock Thinking about a Big Rock...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For bodies, I am working on putting a 4S Kraton body and wing on my big rock for a different look. Combined with Granite tires it will be a 3S Kraton. There is a thread out here that I saw someone else do it so you can search for that...

Really good truck overall. You'll have a good time with it.
Hurricane
I want to see when it's done! Sounds awesome.

For sure, but I know some people think too heavy a battery will throw off the balance in a smaller truck so I'm wondering how big people typically go. How much run time do you get with a 5200?
I’ve been wondering the same thing. Want to get these 8000mah batteries but not sure what it does to balance or anything

I’ve been wondering the same thing. Want to get these 8000mah batteries but not sure what it does to balance or anything
You don't need 8000 mah in the Bigrock, 5000 or so is perfect balance of runtime and weight. I run 5400 mah in mine.
20191017_134247.jpg

Okay now here's the question... I'm ready to purchase the Big Rock, unless the V4 is coming out soon. If that's the case I will wait for that bad boy. Does anyone know if there's a V4 in the works to be released in the near future?

Does anyone know if there's a V4 in the works to be released in the near future?
V3 is relatively fresh, so V4 is not expected in near future in 3s line.

My input to battery life:
2s 8000 mAh - expected runtime ~30 minutes
3s 5000 mAh - expected runtime ~15 minutes
3s 8000 mAh - expected runtime ~24 minutes

I run a 5500 3s (Turngiy rapid 140C) and get a good 20 mins with plenty of flat-out ripping.

Another vote for RPM A-arms (make sure you choose the Typhon versions as theyre the wide arms the BRCC needs). Theyre almost always on backorder all over the world so just get your order in early and theyll turn up in the end. Once theyre fitted the truck is damn near indestructible.
I also run Typhon 6S shocks but theyre an expesnive upgrade and absolutely not essential for the huge amount of pleasure the stock vehicle will give you.

Be aware that your steering servo will almost certainly break in the first couple of months, irrespective of how you treat the vehicle. Your LHS will be expecting your call on this and it can be replaced FOC under warranty (and there are loads of videos which will help you fit it). Suggest you agree with them in advance that you can pay the difference and have something better, when it does go.

You will love your Big Rock. Its a ton of fun, very fast and very durable.

I run a 5500 3s (Turngiy rapid 140C) and get a good 20 mins with plenty of flat-out ripping.

Another vote for RPM A-arms (make sure you choose the Typhon versions as theyre the wide arms the BRCC needs). Theyre almost always on backorder all over the world so just get your order in early and theyll turn up in the end. Once theyre fitted the truck is damn near indestructible.
I also run Typhon 6S shocks but theyre an expesnive upgrade and absolutely not essential for the huge amount of pleasure the stock vehicle will give you.

Be aware that your steering servo will almost certainly break in the first couple of months, irrespective of how you treat the vehicle. Your LHS will be expecting your call on this and it can be replaced FOC under warranty (and there are loads of videos which will help you fit it). Suggest you agree with them in advance that you can pay the difference and have something better, when it does go.

Thank you very much for the info! I actually just ordered my Big Rock last night :p Will certainly look into the RPM arms and steering servo.

And a quick google search seemed to say as much, but most any 1/8 scale monster truck body should fit this thing yeah? I might want that Jeep Gladiator body from Proline eventually...

Hah, i also did this to my v1 BRCC. Definitely a different truck for the better! Oh, and wider tires.

+1 on the servo,I got a month out of my senton and my son got a few runs on the BRCC before it went out. Don’t even wait for it to go out, just buy it and replace it so you don’t die in the middle of the fun.

I have yet to drive the cars in warm weather but broke a rear arm on my senton when it was close to freezing. Lots of bashing and smashing and have no broken one since.

+1 on the servo,I got a month out of my senton and my son got a few runs on the BRCC before it went out. Don’t even wait for it to go out, just buy it and replace it so you don’t die in the middle of the fun.

I have yet to drive the cars in warm weather but broke a rear arm on my senton when it was close to freezing. Lots of bashing and smashing and have no broken one since.
I think I'm the one outlier who has had a good experience with the Arrma servo. My ASM-15 v1 servo lasted 2 years before it started glitching.

Last edited:
What's a decent replacement for the steering servo? I don't need any top-of-the-line stuff, just something that will hold up and do its job.

What's a decent replacement for the steering servo? I don't need any top-of-the-line stuff, just something that will hold up and do its job.
I've been using this one from Amazon. So far it's been great.

ANNIMOS 20KG Digital Servo High Torque Full Metal Gear Waterproof for RC Model DIY, DS3218MG,Control Angle 270°​

A lot of forum members use Amazon servos like the one described.
Because the trucks’s not very heavy, you don’t need a huge servo to get nice fast steering and the Amazon servos seem
Reliable, plus Amazon has a good returns system (usually)
I personally use an etronix, which is a popular servo brand in the Uk.
if you want something higher end than the AMazons of this world, Savox is a great brand.

So I cut a little hole in the chassis beneath the spur gear like some have suggested to let debris fall out and not get caught up in the mesh. However, it's pretty haggard and honestly not totally centered beneath the spur :oops:

I'm guessing (hoping) it doesn't need to be "perfect" to do the intended job?

So I cut a little hole in the chassis beneath the spur gear like some have suggested to let debris fall out and not get caught up in the mesh. However, it's pretty haggard and honestly not totally centered beneath the spur :oops:

I'm guessing (hoping) it doesn't need to be "perfect" to do the intended job?
I’ve always held off doing this versus trying to seal the base of the motor housing to stop it getting in, in the first place. My concern was always that off road driving was more likely to fling small bits into the spur which would chew it up. Is the community consensus that gravity plus the rotation of the spur would actually totally prevent that ?

I’ve always held off doing this versus trying to seal the base of the motor housing to stop it getting in, in the first place. My concern was always that off road driving was more likely to fling small bits into the spur which would chew it up. Is the community consensus that gravity plus the rotation of the spur would actually totally prevent that ?

On the 6S line the center diff isn't incredible protected and they have a slit cut out of the chassis for the spur gear, so I reckon there must be something to it.

People have been doing it for years and works. It just does.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back