Nero Thinking about building a Nero part by part from scratch.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RetroKevin

Bashing is a way of life.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Typhon 6s
  4. Vorteks
Guy that works at my local hobby shop is in the process of doing this. He peaked my interest in doing the same. I'm sure he's getting the parts at wholesale cost, but maybe not.

What are your thoughts on this project and is it more cost efficient to do this or just a used one from ebay or the likes?

Many parts have been discontinued. See if you can find a used one instead.
Guy at the hobby shop said they just started making a lot of the parts again.

His theory is Arrma might be making another model that's similar... who knows though.

A lot of the parts he had were old new stock from before Horizon bought Arrma.

If I do decide to --- can find the parts --- build it I'll keep you all posted on my progress. 😉

Guy at the hobby shop said they just started making a lot of the parts again.

His theory is Arrma might be making another model that's similar... who knows though.

A lot of the parts he had were old new stock from before Horizon bought Arrma.

If I do decide to --- can find the parts --- build it I'll keep you all posted on my progress. 😉
Humm, that's strange! Haven't heard about it before but that will be nice if Arrma making a similar model like the Nero. Let us know how your project coming along and don't forget to post some photos. ;)

Humm, that's strange! Haven't heard about it before but that will be nice if Arrma making a similar model like the Nero. Let us know how your project coming along and don't forget to post some photos. ;)
One of the perks of piecing together --- if I can find the parts --- is I can just pick up a few parts each payday. Instead of spending ~$800 in one go.

I have the manual and I'm in the process of getting all the part numbers in an easy to follow list. After that I'll do the tedious search for each one. 😆 it would be a lot easier just to buy a used one that's for sure!

I had a Nero big rock for a while, was a solid truck. Built like a tank. Diff brain was nice. It didn't like to jump much though. Parts availability was the only reason I sold it.
20200517_131704.jpg

I had a Nero big rock for a while, was a solid truck. Built like a tank. Diff brain was nice. It didn't like to jump much though. Parts availability was the only reason I sold it.View attachment 160202
The rarity is part of the appeal for me.

But I get it. If it's hard to repair due to no parts you can't truly enjoy it.
I concur, some parts might be hard to find. Good luck finding the “ red can “ 👀
Just curious….with or without diff brain?
Honestly haven't really gotten that far yet.

Still working on getting the part numbers in a easy to follow list for searching purposes.

Just my experience, with building any rig from scratch it will almost always cost more in the end unless you already have a good start on parts like chassis and electronics at the minimum. I built a Kraton v4 from the chassis up and ended up into it just shy of what a brand new one would cost and that was with being able to find cheaper parts from a breaker like Jenny's and from forum members that had spares they sold me. Now I just built a custom SWB SCT "mini Mojave" that I ended up being able to do for only a couple hundred but I had close to 75% of the parts already. So IMO trying to build a discontinued rarer rig like this could possibly cost upwards of twice the price you'd put out for a good shape used one.

Just my experience, with building any rig from scratch it will almost always cost more in the end unless you already have a good start on parts like chassis and electronics at the minimum. I built a Kraton v4 from the chassis up and ended up into it just shy of what a brand new one would cost and that was with being able to find cheaper parts from a breaker like Jenny's and from forum members that had spares they sold me. Now I just built a custom SWB SCT "mini Mojave" that I ended up being able to do for only a couple hundred but I had close to 75% of the parts already. So IMO trying to build a discontinued rarer rig like this could possibly cost upwards of twice the price you'd put out for a good shape used one.
I agree 100% , I just finished building a Senton 3s from scratch ( lots of upgrades) and even though it was incredibly rewarding and a great learning experience it was a very expensive endeavor. The Nero more than likely would be very expensive as a “ build from scratch “.

I agree 100% , I just finished building a Senton 3s from scratch ( lots of upgrades) and even though it was incredibly rewarding and a great learning experience it was a very expensive endeavor. The Nero more than likely would be very expensive as a “ build from scratch “.
Yep I agree it is a great experience and extremely rewarding but at a high cost for sure. To build a Nero I'd guess would probably cost close to or more than a new 8s rig and that's if you can even find all the parts needed.

One of the hardest parts to find is a functional diff brain. IF you can find one, be prepared to shell out $300-$400. Either that or be prepared to just buy a whole car on its own.

Did you ever finish the nero ? I have a couple of them , 1 complete minus wheels and the other needs a couple of pieces for the front end

20220620_075243.jpg

20220620_075259.jpg

20220620_075334.jpg

20220620_075408.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back