Thinking about getting a gas RC. Anyone here into those? Two options. Thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armarookie43

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Mojave EXB
  6. Outcast 8s
  7. Typhon 6s
I've had a number of 5th scale gas onroads, offroads and boats. I had that Losi, no experience with Redcat. The Losi was fun. Had a Zen 32cc in it with a DDM dominator pipe. However, if I were to get back into 5th scale, I'd definitely go with FG. I've been looking at their brushless onroads.

But with a lot of noise! It looks faster :LOL:
Very true. A good race pipe and now you have a pissed off chainsaw lol

So I guess the second option is Nitro? Those are a bit faster no? ?
Not really. Nitro once upon a time was the go to platform. But thanks to lipo batteries and brushless motors that will never be the same again.. I ran gas and nitro for over 15 years. When I got my first 6s rig I quickly converted everything I could over to electric lmaooooo.

S
Not really. Nitro once upon a time was the go to platform. But thanks to lipo batteries and brushless motors that will never be the same again.. I ran gas and nitro for over 15 years. When I got my first 6s rig I quickly converted everything I could over to electric lmaooooo.
Same here. I am about 2 get my second Arrma rig.

S

Same here. I am about 2 get my second Arrma rig.
@Exc3l Second?!?!? Come on now keep up! .........I know, I have a problem. I need AA (Arrma anonymous) ???

7C8B1430-DBAE-420B-88DA-A6D2A60894B7.jpeg

I have owned way too many. Just be prepared to go very slow... very very slow lol
I’ve never owned any big gassers except for a few Losi’s
They’re great but exactly as lovestricken stars..they’re super slow
Even if you upgrade them they’re still nothing like electric
I currently have the losi Mini Cooper and have a few mods but it’s still slow..great thing is they run forever on a tank of gas

if you really want a huge monster truck I’d look for a good deal for a losi mtxl and convert it to electric

I did this to mine and have great luck ..I’m running a tp power 5870(15,000watt) motor with a ztw 300a esc on 12s and it absolutely rips ..they make conversion kits so it’s an easy swap

52080B0C-850A-4228-813C-DEABA4AF1B18.jpeg

BFAD3834-A76B-4F15-9054-496B62B9DB77.jpeg

4E4AFBE8-84AE-4D47-9C20-C72506F0EC51.jpeg

253D7DD1-8404-4FA6-9ADA-2EB3B38AB7B2.jpeg

2E982EA1-2E37-4A1B-A10C-24C082810C1B.jpeg

FE9ACFB6-5DEF-48AE-A95D-5C1CCEC3F021.jpeg

Super slow?? You guys haven't had the right engines then.
Maybe not but buying a hopped up engine is expensive and not really worth it in my opinion.

you can spend thousands on a engine and still have crappy bottom end performance compared to electric.
For about 700$ you can convert to electric with a setup like mine and have 15k watts(20hp) in an electric setup.

if you really want to go nuts for about 3500$(cost of a decent engine) you can get the lehner/mgm combo and make 50hp?

I’ve never owned any big gassers except for a few Losi’s
They’re great but exactly as lovestricken stars..they’re super slow
Even if you upgrade them they’re still nothing like electric
I currently have the losi Mini Cooper and have a few mods but it’s still slow..great thing is they run forever on a tank of gas

if you really want a huge monster truck I’d look for a good deal for a losi mtxl and convert it to electric

I did this to mine and have great luck ..I’m running a tp power 5870(15,000watt) motor with a ztw 300a esc on 12s and it absolutely rips ..they make conversion kits so it’s an easy swap

View attachment 114700

View attachment 114702

View attachment 114703

View attachment 114704

View attachment 114705

View attachment 114706
Wow! You have some sweet rigs. Here I thought I was doing big things. ??? That Mini is pretty sweet.

Wow! You have some sweet rigs. Here I thought I was doing big things. ??? That Mini is pretty sweet.
Thanks man
The mini is fun but I just don’t use it much so I’ll probably convert it to electric soon

Loving the MTXL, the hypdro dipped side guards and the Darkside Studio bits. (y)(y)

Loving the MTXL, the hypdro dipped side guards and the Darkside Studio bits. (y)(y)
Thanks
It’s a pretty cool truck
Only thing left on my upgrade list is an mgm 400a esc so in can run it on 14s :)

I converted all my gas/nitro to electric.

My old FG hummer was a pain to maintain on gas. But the noise and smoke do add some extra dimension. Since it's electro conversion I hardly use it anymore. It's a RWD and the torque of the electro just make it hard to control. Could still be optimized, but other projects get prio. It looks nice on the shelf ;)

On bigscale offroad events I was always jealous of them hpi baja 5(x) people. So if you really want to go for gas, that's the way to go imho...

I’ve had lots!
redcat
Nutech
Hpi
Redcat
Losi
Mcd
FG

my honest opinion. See if you can find a hpi baja 5 t or a b or a Sc

tons of parts are available. Resists the urge to buy a clone.
They are lots of fun!
I hear through the grapevine that if you do get a clone be prepared to completely tear it down and rebuild it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back