Thinking about getting a gas RC. Anyone here into those? Two options. Thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of our bash buddies had a HPI baja with a pipe, hated when he showed up with it, was obnoxiously loud and aggravating.

I've had a HPI Baja 5b and a LOSI DBXL. The DBXL was and is more fun. I run a zenoah G270 with 152* intake timing, 172 exhaust timing and a decked cylinder to adjust my squish band (increased compression). I also relief cut the top of the piston by .003". The piston is also golf balled or dimpled to help get more oil in the cylinder. The transfer bridges are trimmed down and shaped and the ports(4) are also enlarged. I have it connected to a VRC Racing pipe. It is far from slow...... I run 10oz of Klotz Synthetic per gallon of gas and a bored out WT644 and/or WT257 carb depending upon what I'm doing. This engine revs very high and very quick. I have 9500 rpm clutch springs installed as well. Reducing the weight of the flywheel and rebalancing works wonders also.

Offroad or in loose dirt I have way more fun with the DBXL than I ever did with the Baja 5b. On grass or pavement I had more fun with the BAJA. Similar set up with the Baja was virtually uncontrollable on loose dirt (construction sites)

2 years later and everyone on here said fk nitro and stopped using them lol🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Maybe one day I'll get into one of of those just for fun. But I've spent so much $ on the electric stuff, it would be years. By then, they might be extinct. Who knows. Gear head guys (and some girls) just like the real motor stuff due to to the noise, smell and smoke. My friend has one of the giant losi trucks and it's nice, but damn, that thing is expensive. Maybe one day, maybe..... But for now, I'm in recovery mode for at least 5 years 🤣. Heck, I'm not even buying parts for my electric stuff. Yeah, that bad

Maybe one day I'll get into one of of those just for fun. But I've spent so much $ on the electric stuff, it would be years. By then, they might be extinct. Who knows. Gear head guys (and some girls) just like the real motor stuff due to to the noise, smell and smoke. My friend has one of the giant losi trucks and it's nice, but damn, that thing is expensive. Maybe one day, maybe..... But for now, I'm in recovery mode for at least 5 years 🤣. Heck, I'm not even buying parts for my electric stuff. Yeah, that bad
Recovery mode? Hope all is well

I'm really into monster trucks so I would prefer the RC Rampage v3. Thoughts? The losi would be my second choice. Just thinking about it for now ;

https://www.amainhobbies.com/losi-desert-buggy-xl-k-n-4wd-1-5-scale-buggy-los05010/p481763

https://www.rcplanet.com/redcat-rac...-scale-gas-monster-truck-redrampage-mt-v3-of/

Have you seen this?

I was on the fence about a Nitro car but not anymore. I don't want one. Too loud, not fast and they smell.
My buddy has a BIG Trax Nitro - he hates it. Especially after play with a 6S Lipo Truck.

But I GET the allure.

I've had three hpi baja,s still got two with turtle racing parts fg marder and a hormann ht2 last two have gone now though

I still have 5 nitro cars from 2005 or so, 3 jatos and 2 T Maxx trucks. Still run em, like to tune, hear the revs, smell the nitro and see the smoke. I have numerous spare parts and enough glow plugs to campaign a funny car.

I have owned way too many. Just be prepared to go very slow... very very slow lol
Very slow? Old thread and I never got one, but I've seen some of these gas RC vehicles do over 50mph on grass. That rivals my Outcast 8s and EXB K8S and Xmaxx speeds. It's not cheap though. I've seen motors that are high end go for like $800 plus the price of the gas trucks, which is around another $1k plus the upgrades etc.

Very slow? Old thread and I never got one, but I've seen some of these gas RC vehicles do over 50mph on grass. That rivals my Outcast 8s and EXB K8S and Xmaxx speeds. It's not cheap though. I've seen motors that are high end go for like $800 plus the price of the gas trucks, which is around another $1k plus the upgrades etc.

Yes stock they are rather slow and it takes a bit of time and money to get them to go fast.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back