Thinking about getting a Nero!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadow91

Reaction score
Okay, to start off with I've been in the rc hobby for many many years. I've had everything from air, land, and sea and everything from micro to 5th scale. Had to sell everything awhile back due to unforeseen job loss and needed to make bills. So now looking to get a new basher, and by that I mean 20-30' in the air jumps, sand, snow and everything inbetween.

I really like the look of the Nero, looks like a savage and a revo had a love child. Being that I've seen very little of Arrma products and never seen one in person tho I'm very skeptical to just drop a couple bills on one. Basically what I want to know is how are they holding up? Are diffs an issue at all? Should I stick to using 4 cell (speed isn't the most important thing to me) or does it handle 6s just fine? What are the pros and cons of the Nero? And what kind of aftermarket support does it have? Am I going to be stuck with basically just stock replacement parts or will company's such as RPM, hot racing, etc be making hop ups for this truck?

Specifically I'm looking at the non diff brain version, due to Tower having it for $399 with $71 off so the whole rig for $330. Seems to good to pass up but want to make sure it won't be a complete waste of money.

Thanks in advance and i appreciate any and all help, and Happy New Years!

Okay, to start off with I've been in the rc hobby for many many years. I've had everything from air, land, and sea and everything from micro to 5th scale. Had to sell everything awhile back due to unforeseen job loss and needed to make bills. So now looking to get a new basher, and by that I mean 20-30' in the air jumps, sand, snow and everything inbetween.

I really like the look of the Nero, looks like a savage and a revo had a love child. Being that I've seen very little of Arrma products and never seen one in person tho I'm very skeptical to just drop a couple bills on one. Basically what I want to know is how are they holding up? Are diffs an issue at all? Should I stick to using 4 cell (speed isn't the most important thing to me) or does it handle 6s just fine? What are the pros and cons of the Nero? And what kind of aftermarket support does it have? Am I going to be stuck with basically just stock replacement parts or will company's such as RPM, hot racing, etc be making hop ups for this truck?

Specifically I'm looking at the non diff brain version, due to Tower having it for $399 with $71 off so the whole rig for $330. Seems to good to pass up but want to make sure it won't be a complete waste of money.

well first off...if your skills ain't up to par you will quickly trash a nero with 20 ft jumps as many have done...

arrma is tough but not that tough and the nero at 13 lbs in the hands of the unskilled not able to do mid air corrections to perfection has a multi hundred dollar pile of junk every time it lands...Tp-Parts Rc-Xtreme and perhaps very few others are able to do this session after session...the rest of us will end up replacing everything. .

there are better vehicles in the arrma lineup for those types of stunts (in novice hands)..

senton ...talion...krayton...outcast...they are all lighter in weight and simpler designs. ..

I have a nero and an outcast. ..and I am convinced that the outcast can do just as much just as fast and perhaps even more than the nero ...with far less breaking...I have yet to break anything on my outcast...

well first off...if your skills ain't up to par you will quickly trash a nero with 20 ft jumps as many have done...

arrma is tough but not that tough and the nero at 13 lbs in the hands of the unskilled not able to do mid air corrections to perfection has a multi hundred dollar pile of junk every time it lands...Tp-Parts Rc-Xtreme and perhaps very few others are able to do this session after session...the rest of us will end up replacing everything. .

there are better vehicles in the arrma lineup for those types of stunts (in novice hands)..

senton ...talion...krayton...outcast...they are all lighter in weight and simpler designs. ..

I have a nero and an outcast. ..and I am convinced that the outcast can do just as much just as fast and perhaps even more than the nero ...with far less breaking...I have yet to break anything on my outcast...

I completely agree with Afro Samurai. I love my Nero but if you want to get major air with your rc than be prepared to make some repairs. I have a Nero, Fazon, Big Rock, Kraton, Senton, and Typhon. I have done far more repairs on my Nero than any of my other rc's. But they were all little things like rod ends, shocks, and a rocker pin. Nothing major, drive train has been outstanding! In my experience the Nero is way harder to jump with. When I jump with my Nero I look like a noob. The nose half the time ends up high or low and then the cartwheels start. When I jump with my Kraton I look like a skilled driver....lol. I can do backflips, front flips, wheelies for days and I have only broken a wing mount. If you are looking for something to jump with and extremely durable I would go with the Kraton. The Outcast looks awesome and extremely durable since it's a SWB Kraton and from everyone's experience here. The deal on the Nero is way too good to pass up, just take the time to get to know your truck and learn what you can do with it and you'll be extremely happy with it. But if you are going to do 20-30 foot jumps right out of the box....you might want to look at something else out of the Arrma line up. Just my .02?

I love my Nero! The thing is tank! The only time you'll see a Nero truly being graceful is in slow motion video.
Stay on top of maintenance and get to know every nut and bolt and you'll be happy.
30 foot jumps?..... you may want to look at other options.

Okay, so my best bet is gonna be either the Kraton or outcast? What really is the difference? They're both the same cost, why would you choose one over another? Both of them are $430 after discount on tower so both are very affordable.

Also, Diffs, how are they holding up on them? Biggest thing I hated when I had T/E-Maxx, ERevo, yeti xl and some others where they all just destroyed differentials all the time. And I never even ran 6s in them. Are they good for 6S? Or best kept on 4s?

And skill level for jumping is I'd say intermediate. I've had the few occasional bad jumps but for the most part I dial it in before the mega jumps. And just to clarify I'm not purely doing those kinda jumps, just want something that when I do, it won't shatter.

Okay, so my best bet is gonna be either the Kraton or outcast? What really is the difference? They're both the same cost, why would you choose one over another? Both of them are $430 after discount on tower so both are very affordable.

Also, Diffs, how are they holding up on them? Biggest thing I hated when I had T/E-Maxx, ERevo, yeti xl and some others where they all just destroyed differentials all the time. And I never even ran 6s in them. Are they good for 6S? Or best kept on 4s?

And skill level for jumping is I'd say intermediate. I've had the few occasional bad jumps but for the most part I dial it in before the mega jumps. And just to clarify I'm not purely doing those kinda jumps, just want something that when I do, it won't shatter.

outcast is a short wheelbase krayton for the most part...they both do the same stuff....the outcast with a short wheelbase can do standing backflips....outcast is a newer vehicle based on existing arrma krayton. . tallion...and senton parts.. so the diffs are quite proven..

you can't go wrong with any of them...

Hmmmm...it really depends what you want to do. The Kraton is much more stable at high speeds. It jumps extremely well and very durable. The Outcast having the shorter wheel base is really good at doing tricks/stunts. On 6s it wold be extremely hard to do a speed run since it will just pop a wheelie. It will easily do back and front flips. With my Kraton I like to get the best of both worlds with it. I have big rock beast tires that I run on 4s and I can wheelie on demand, do front flips, and back flips with easy and at low speeds. It I want to run it fast on 6s I switch back to the stock wheels and it's a blast to run. Both are awesome cars and you won't go wrong with either.

I would agree that a Kraton or Outcast would probably suit you better for the huge jumps you have in mind. The Nero is an amazing machine but it is big and heavy and requires an immense amount of throttle management to keep it from breaking. If you drive it right, it will hardly break. If you ham fist it, you're going to be unhappy with the Nero.

I completely agree with Afro Samurai. I love my Nero but if you want to get major air with your rc than be prepared to make some repairs. I have a Nero, Fazon, Big Rock, Kraton, Senton, and Typhon. I have done far more repairs on my Nero than any of my other rc's. But they were all little things like rod ends, shocks, and a rocker pin. Nothing major, drive train has been outstanding! In my experience the Nero is way harder to jump with. When I jump with my Nero I look like a noob. The nose half the time ends up high or low and then the cartwheels start. When I jump with my Kraton I look like a skilled driver....lol. I can do backflips, front flips, wheelies for days and I have only broken a wing mount. If you are looking for something to jump with and extremely durable I would go with the Kraton. The Outcast looks awesome and extremely durable since it's a SWB Kraton and from everyone's experience here. The deal on the Nero is way too good to pass up, just take the time to get to know your truck and learn what you can do with it and you'll be extremely happy with it. But if you are going to do 20-30 foot jumps right out of the box....you might want to look at something else out of the Arrma line up. Just my .02?
AWESOME INFO & THANK YOU!!! ;)

I had just received my $330 Nero from Tower the other day. The thing is a monster.

But I've never had value like this for $330 as the only other RC I've had in the past ten years was the $450 Slash 4x4. There is sooo much more value this truck than what I paid for the Slash that I upgraded everything in and dropped 8th scale power.

I can't wait for Monday to get my lipos so I can get this big beotch on the road.

Attachments

• 20170106_212705.jpg
    20170106_212705.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 49
In the videos section of this site I've posted a Nero Vs Outcast (On the bench not outside run test) review with details on both cars and close ups that you might find helpful. The outcast would seem to handle the big air better (much lighter). The outcast can run at high speed as well without wheelieng you just need to feed the power in. I didn't hit the magic 60 but got close at 57. 60mph is 88ft per second so you can't use the top speed in many areas or for that long without running out of room. Hope that helps. If you are going for the nero do buy the diff brain version if opting for the non-diff brain version buy the outcast instead

I've had my non diff version of the nero for about 1 month now. I didn't find a need to buy the diff version for strictly bashing. I have made flips on it and hit walls head on. The other day I bent the front push links and push rods from hitting a stupid stair rail at my local skate park. I was doing 15ft jumps with no problem and perfect landings. At the end for my grand finally before leaving I was going to jump a stair case at full speed on 6s and everything went wrong. I got distracted and didn't go straight enough into the stairs and hit the rail straight on. I was surprised that I only bent the rods. Good truck, I recommend getting the tbone racing trasher bumper. That bumper rocks. Maybe that's the reason I had minimum damage...

I had just received my $330 Nero from Tower the other day. The thing is a monster.

But I've never had value like this for $330 as the only other RC I've had in the past ten years was the $450 Slash 4x4. There is sooo much more value this truck than what I paid for the Slash that I upgraded everything in and dropped 8th scale power.

I can't wait for Monday to get my lipos so I can get this big beotch on the road.
Videos, or it didn't happen!!! Oh yeah, and congratulations on the new Nero!!! ;)

how did you get it for $330?

Tower had on sale for $399 + $70 coupon....i got one too
nice body

i'm thinking of buying the newer blue nero or the big rock... does anyone think any sales will be coming up later on? anyone have a good coupon code?

nice body

i'm thinking of buying the newer blue nero or the big rock... does anyone think any sales will be coming up later on? anyone have a good coupon code?

Thanks...recycled from my hpi savage.

In terms of discounts not sure...will likely have coupons at tower...but not sure about the mark downs...typically they do have discounts around black friday and Christmas/New Year

Well unfortunately I was too indecisive to buy the Nero before the deal went away on tower, no now they are back to $499 and with coupon still $450.. Was going back and forth between the Nero and Kraton and now they are the same price so makes it a even harder choice. That and im still trying to decide if I want to just go back into the 5th scale world. Choices choices choices. So yeah, still very indecisive at this point

Videos, or it didn't happen!!! Oh yeah, and congratulations on the new Nero!!! ;)

Haven't gotten her out yet, just got the lipos today and got the XT90s on them right away.

Well unfortunately I was too indecisive to buy the Nero before the deal went away on tower, no now they are back to $499 and with coupon still $450.. Was going back and forth between the Nero and Kraton and now they are the same price so makes it a even harder choice. That and im still trying to decide if I want to just go back into the 5th scale world. Choices choices choices. So yeah, still very indecisive at this point
Yeah now that it's back to $499 it's a different comparison altogether.

At $330 I didn't want to wait. Lol.

Attachments

• 20170107_085949.jpg
    20170107_085949.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 41
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back