Thinking of buying a Kyosho Fo-xx VE V2. Aye/Naw?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iep

Reaction score
I have a Kraton, a Mojave and an Element Enduro for crawling. So, I'm fairly spoiled for cars. Thing is, sometimes the Arrma's are too fast and the crawler, well, crawls.

So, I figured something mid pace but with solid axles might be fun. All the chaos of an Arrma running at 50mph but at a more mangable 20mph for smaller spaces.

Initially I was thinking a Redcat Wedigo (which I still think looks great fun) but then I spotted the Kyosho Foxx VE V2. It has solid axles frot and rear, daft suspension and tons of torque. Tops out around 22mph and, being a kyosho, has weird stuff like a chain drive, 5 link suspension and the option for a second motor and 4 wheel steering. Also, Kyosho were THE brand when I was a kid so the idea of owning one is pretty appealing.

The idea is that it might be a decent rig to bring along on family walks etc since it can be wound down to a managble speed or turned up a bit for the odd blast. It's also a really easy truck to clean by the look of it too whihc is a big plus in a really wet Scottish Autumn/Winter.

I gather though parts might be an issue and I've even heard that Kyosho may be in a bit of trouble financially. Aside from that clear risk though, any reasons not to buy one?

Feel free to help talk me in/out of this potentially daft idea.

Can’t comment on Kyosho, but since your from Scotland have a look at FTX rc. They have crawlers and buggies. I take my DR8 on walks in the woods/trails, although in the spring it has to compete with the Kraton, which hasn’t been run yet.
It’s 6s capable but I run it on 4s, which is plenty fast on trails for me, and is waterproof (we have rain also, although not as much as you guys ?).
A good walk with the RC is?

Ta but, for some reason, I seem to have my heart set on a daft solid axle rig. Just the way they are 'on the edge' all the time even at low speed.

Kyosho parts support here in the USA is horrible, be sure to check availability in your country. The FO-XX and Mad Crusher are the same truck, I’ve owned both.

Be sure to check out the new Losi LMT. It’s more expensive but is expected to be the best solid axle RTR ever released.

Kyosho parts support here in the USA is horrible, be sure to check availability in your country. The FO-XX and Mad Crusher are the same truck, I’ve owned both.

Be sure to check out the new Losi LMT. It’s more expensive but is expected to be the best solid axle RTR ever released.
I had a look at the LMT, it does look pretty special.

You say you've owned the two Kyosho trucks. Given the past tense, I guess you didn't get on with them?

I enjoyed the trucks. The steering setup is horrible, with long linkages and a pretty poor design. I ordered a 3D printed part online that relocates the servo on top of the front axle. That was much, much better. Solid axles are fun, provided you have some buddies to race with. I bashed mine around, but found myself using them less and less over time. They are not fragile, but definitely will not take much abuse.

I ended up selling mine because of the horrible parts support. Upgrades are not readily available, and when they are, they are the typical overpriced Kyosho part.

The good news for us here in the USA is that we have a large vendor that allows coupon codes on Kyosho products. That helps cut the cost down on new kits.

Yeah, I have my Kraton for proper bashing. This would be for hooning around, not jumping.

Out of curiosity, what parts tended to break on yours? Apologies for the barrage of questions, just not a lot of info out there on them.

No apologies, I happy to help.

The front axle tube is the weakness on these trucks. I broke two of them and had to buy replacement axle housings. Hot racing makes a very expensive aluminum housing, but it’s way too expensive.

https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=KMF12C01;c=124

Some owners have put collars on the axle to give support (not my photo).

Mine developed a couple hairline cracks and eventually broke.

67A82F94-C4D9-4B98-9B9B-9DB3790E5D37.jpeg

Thanks! That's really useful info. Looks like it snaps just after the diff bearing. Makes sense.

I've seen the hot racing axle. Definitely pricey.

Do you know if it was genral use or actual impacts that snapped yours? If it's impacts maybe some sort of protection could be fitted.

Kyosho appears to be good stuff for many years. They had some real popular models too. But where I am in the States, parts are nill. And if you find them what few vendors are out there they are costly , even for the most basic items. Upgrade support is very short also. I would pass.
Been that way for 20 years with Kyosho. Yet I always look at them.
I also have Axial Crawlers, and like to walk trails. Lipos last for miles. But seeing how you would want a mix of faster speeds and also trail fun, check out the RR10. solid axles, robust design. 2 year warranty, Just put in a screaming brushless setup. It runs on 2.2 wheels/tires also. Much larger than a standard scaler Crawler.
Axial Racing - RR10 Bomber 1/10th 4wd RTR (Grey)

$450. + a nice Blx setup would still be a bit less $$$ than an LMT. Just one option. LMT may be limited on the trails. Not sure how groomed your trails are.
LMT a nice choice also however, maybe not for your purposes though. Its set up as a pure scale Stadium Monster Truck. A class that's getting popular for arena type stunts.

Last edited:
Yeah, the LMT looks flat out awesome but it's a stadium monster truck. I'm still looking for something trailable. Basically a fast crawler.

Still going back and forth between these:

Redcat Wendig - Not actually available in Europe but import is easy enough. Parts might then be an issue but lots of crossover with the Gen 8 which we do have over here. It's definitely a fast crawler. Basically a Gen 8 with a brushless system and wider axles. Looks great fun but it's totally 'on the limit' all the time (even geared down from 17T to 12T). Comes as a kit too with a few upgrades and the opportunity to build it right. From the general forum chat, it also seems (seems) to be pretty tough with maybe fewer drivetrain issues than other rock racers.

Kyosho Foxx - Looks just beautiful. I think it should trail just fine if geared down a bit. Those axles look like a real pain though. Not many vids on YT but in at least two the car cracks an axle on a fairly benign jump so, as reported here, it's clearly a problem. Parts aren't to expensive but there's only one place in the UK with stock right now. It's definitely the heart choice in the haert/head debate.

Axial Bomber RR10 - Ta for the tip. This does look quite appealing. UK support, solid axles. It's a bit slow out of the box but, as you say, just needs a brushless system. Used to be available as a kit but no stock any more. Bit of a shame. I'll watch a few more vids and see what people are saying to it.

Cheers.

At @SrC
I totally forgot about Axial! ?
As far as I know also the Rock Racer and Yeti have solid rear axles what @iep is looking for. BTW I think they all look great, as a matter of fact the reason I bought the FTX DR8 instead of the Bomber/Rock Racer/Yeti is that I wanted a independent rear axle and the option to go up to 6s. Looks wise I like them all!

Yeah, the Axial looks good. It does appear to be a path to infinite upgrades though. Watched a couple of vids and it does seem to want at least:

1. Motor and ESC
2. Sway bars
3. Upgraded links
4. Upgraded arms
5. Upgraded servo (don't they all TBF)

Once done though it does appear to be totally awesome.

On the other hand, the Wendigo kit would get the right motor, ESC and servo in the first place and, after that, seems pretty much good to go.

The Kyosho wants for pretty much nothing out of the box (except maybe a smaller pinion) but has apparent fragility problems.

Anyway, I'll keep thinking and report back.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back