Thinking of getting a Traxxas Maxx

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StephenSchandelmayer

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Gorgon
  2. Mojave 4s
  3. Outcast 4s
  4. Typhon 6s
Looking into a Traxxas Maxx and of course the v2 is on my radar but I also see the benefit in just getting a used V1 and swapping chassis when the time comes for that to be available. I have found one on my local offerup that has the wide kit on it and hes willing to part with it for $430. Batteries not included but I already have some 4s but idk if they fit. I just want a basher that will take some beating and I also want a little change of pace from arrma even though I love it. Curious about opinions on the Maxx and I suppose if anyone reads this that has one for sale feel free to message me

Enter the AMain Hobbies giveaway for a v2 Maxx, if you win, it’s free

I just got mine, nice truck, glad I pulled the trigger. Never run yet. There's a Maxx thread, maby two on here, check them out.
20211216_174740.jpg

I have the original maxx. Crappy thing was there weren’t many options for a good size 4s battery. This was a major screw up in traxxas part! When I got mine home and tried to fit a 6700 4s traxxas battery in there. It wouldn’t fit. Man was I disgusted! So I ran it in 3s. When the v2 or whatever they are called arrive at my lhs they are putting one on the side for me. I have lots of 6700 4s batteries. And when the conversion kit comes out I’ll convert my original one to the longer chassis.

I just got mine, nice truck, glad I pulled the trigger. Never run yet. There's a Maxx thread, maby two on here, check them out. View attachment 186765
She looks great. Makes me want one more!
I have the original maxx. Crappy thing was there weren’t many options for a good size 4s battery. This was a major screw up in traxxas part! When I got mine home and tried to fit a 6700 4s traxxas battery in there. It wouldn’t fit. Man was I disgusted! So I ran it in 3s. When the v2 or whatever they are called arrive at my lhs they are putting one on the side for me. I have lots of 6700 4s batteries. And when the conversion kit comes out I’ll convert my original one to the longer chassis.
Yeah man that's what I have been thinking too is that my batteries won't fit. But I'm pretty sure based on the dimensions that the new one will so that would be good. Plus I want the longer one for sure. Guess I might as well just wait for that

V2 has larger battery tray, seen someone fit a 9000mah 4S Zeee battery from his Xmaxx, perfect fit. Jay Tee on the tube had a couple SMC 8100 mah 4S packs that fit no problem. There are more options to fit lipos in the V2, Traxxas can keep them overpriced 6700 4S poop packs.

V2 has larger battery tray, seen someone fit a 9000mah 4S Zeee battery from his Xmaxx, perfect fit. Jay Tee on the tube had a couple SMC 8100 mah 4S packs that fit no problem. There are more options to fit lipos in the V2, Traxxas can keep them overpriced 6700 4S poop packs.
Yes but I have lots of those crap packs. I’d like to run them. They’ve been sitting for years and years. Lol.
I cycle them and storage charge them a couple times a month.

Hey honestly the new version of that Maxx has caught my eye. I know the truck was tough out of the box on the V1 but it was too short and not wide enough. This new release even with the minimal increases in wheel base and much wider now, and those new sledge hammer tires I think it’s a beast of a little truck out of the box. I do have an Xmaxx, but the thing is big and heavy, and it’s hard sometimes to find spots to run it where I normally go, so I thought mabey to sell the Xmaxx and just go with the smaller Maxx now. I’d say buy one.

Yes!!! That's exactly what I needed to hear. I have 9000 and 7000 zee. Guess I am for sure getting one now. That's great. Thank you for that.
Hey honestly the new version of that Maxx has caught my eye. I know the truck was tough out of the box on the V1 but it was too short and not wide enough. This new release even with the minimal increases in wheel base and much wider now, and those new sledge hammer tires I think it’s a beast of a little truck out of the box. I do have an Xmaxx, but the thing is big and heavy, and it’s hard sometimes to find spots to run it where I normally go, so I thought mabey to sell the Xmaxx and just go with the smaller Maxx now. I’d say buy one.
Heck yeah man. I keep peaking at the Traxxas website and it said ships December. Then how it's saying February or March. Hopefully one of my shops around me will get them

Ya I agree. This new one will be good I’ve got a xmaxx and quite a few 4S lipos that will work now with the new Maxx
Yes!!! That's exactly what I needed to hear. I have 9000 and 7000 zee. Guess I am for sure getting one now. That's great. Thank you for that.

Heck yeah man. I keep peaking at the Traxxas website and it said ships December. Then how it's saying February or March. Hopefully one of my shops around me will get them
Same I’d like to buy local. I’ll wait for them to get it! It does look good though. I can wait until march usually the cold and snow doesn’t go away until then anyways around here 😂

Get it! U know u will!
Yeah I really think I want one. I want something to go try a little skate park bashin and that sounds like the truck.
This sounds like blasphemy and OP should be excommunicated from this forum.
My soul resides with the arrma clan. Never shall I stray from the path of glory, but sometimes you gatta take a bite of that forbidden fruit my dude!!
Ya I agree. This new one will be good I’ve got a xmaxx and quite a few 4S lipos that will work now with the new Maxx

Same I’d like to buy local. I’ll wait for them to get it! It does look good though. I can wait until march usually the cold and snow doesn’t go away until then anyways around here 😂
Snow?? Don't know anything about it (South Florida). 60 degrees and my butt is grabbing a jacket 😂

Yeah I really think I want one. I want something to go try a little skate park bashin and that sounds like the truck.

My soul resides with the arrma clan. Never shall I stray from the path of glory, but sometimes you gatta take a bite of that forbidden fruit my dude!!

Snow?? Don't know anything about it (South Florida). 60 degrees and my butt is grabbing a jacket 😂
Haha I’d like to have that weather now! It was -30C here last night! I often question why I’m still living here 🤣 But in all fairness we did get +45C for a few weeks in the summer so it’s a good balance I think

I got a v1 in May of this year. Have done a bit to it... running 6S in it now. I had a MMX/1515 2200kv on hand when I bought it, so instead of running the stock stuff, I started by gutting it and sold the stock stuff off before even driving it.

Esc/Motor: MMX/1515 2200kv
20/54 gearing
backflip lp's on traxxas 8671 wheels
e-revo 2.0 hubs
widemaxx arms/cvd's
output cup sleeves
GPM hardened rear pinion
300K center diff oil
promodeler standard sized servo
treal servo saver
treal front c-hubs
tubes tie rods
aftermarket battery hold down
probodyrc body

I had issues trying to gear the MMX/1515 2200kv high enough to clear the larger jumps on 4S. Ran too hot. So I geared down and went with 6S. Now I have distance to spare.

Had issues with the king pins ripping out of the front axle carriers, the treal c-hubs fixed that. Steering was like a marshmallow, treal servo saver helped and the tubes for tie rods with the promodeler servo finished that off.

I went through 2 rear diff pinions, one due to self righting, the other just went out after a few bash sessions. I got a GPM pinion after the first one, it didn't mesh well with the new diff, so I just put the new OEM pinion. When the second pinion died, I decided to try the GPM on the old ring gear. The tiny bit of wear it had let the GPM pinion work ok with it. I have the vitavon rear ring/pinion to try when it dies.

I broke both the front and rear bulkheads as well. Found a mod to use hinge pin retainers on the inside end of the upper hinge pins. So far, that's working well.

A lot of people say it's a tank out of the box, but I never ran stock electronics or stock tires/wheels. I have a feeling, the lack of grip the stock tires give, along with their smaller size would likely make the truck more durable. So staying stock may be a good idea and upgrade what breaks.

Since I run 6S, the extra inch the v2 has would be a nice improvement as it's pretty twitchy in the air and hard to keep the nose down, pretty much always.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back