Thinking of getting an Arrma Granite (for a child)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
My nephew is 4, and he's a good kid. My brother, is kind of a dink, and the kid doesn't really have much.

So I was thinking, I might get him a Stampede or Rustler. NIMH batts, add a 35T motor, and let him have fun with something he can grow with (if I can keep my idiot brother's hands off it), then I saw the Granite section here, so I thought I'd check in.

Is anyone letting a child run their Granite? Going slow, are they fairly durable? Honestly, I'll probably get him a Rustler, but just thought I'd check first.

@Jrgunn5150 really the Granite, Stampede, or Rustler would make fine beginner models.

If it was me I'd go the route of Granite or Stampede myself just for the added ground clearance and will be able to take it most places to go bashing or running around whereas the Rustler is going to be more limited on the type of terrain you run it on.

The next thing that would be a decided factor for me would be if you have a Local Hobby Shop (LHS) and if so what parts do they carry. Do they carry Arrma or Traxxas, maybe both? If they carry one over the other then I'd go with the brand they carry as it's going to be a given he's going to break things and it's going to be much nicer to have parts readily available that day then having to order it and wait for days for it to arrive.

Bottom line, either of the models you're looking at is going to make a great RC for him and one he'll surely enjoy.

I let my 4 (almost 5) year old son drive my granite blx and he loves it. It is plenty durable and easy to control but WAY too fast for someone his age. I have added an aftermarket radio system that, among other things, allows me to adjust throttle end points. I normally set it at 35% which is fast enough to keep him interested and slow enough to keep things safe. At that speed the granite seems pretty much indestructible. I also added a neck strap so he cannot drop it.

Well i agree with woodie, get a monster truck either stampede or granite. Both come rtr and fast enough to enjoy but not too fast for a child. Both are very durable and fun. Both go about 25-27mph (for about 3-5min then the battery will lose top speed) on street. Both will only run for about 15 min untill it will need to rest motor and battery for 15 min, and then recharge.

Personally i like the lower center of gravity of the granite over the stampede, less rollover.

The tires are a little better on the stampede they would be better in mud and little bit deeper grass.

The granite is a little special tho. Since it can use lipo batterys too (about 30-40 bucks in store) you can keep the voltage up and keep the speed (instead of dropping voltage and speed halfway through)

The stampede is special because it has beginner mode and will only let the car go like 17-21mph

Both are same as far as reliablity.

Here it is tho one bigger thing you will have to think about, and this is really the difference, is maintaince. Either way it will eventually need a little.

Granite comes with a 2 year warrenty shipped to (for repairs) and from (for free parts or returning fixed car) middle illinois. But sihpping can get expensive after while esspically for somthing that would be a 5 dollar part. Personally could rebuild a granite in 4-6hours and has a few tricky screws to get to, but nothing beyond a beginner level.

The stampede does not come with a warrenty but has many parts availible at any rc hobby shop. Also has a lot of upgrades that can be done eventually. So the first year you will be bying parts, as anyone would, while learning. The stampede 2wd brushed is a no nonesence approach as far as fixing it. Could rebuild a stampede in 2-3hours. What makes it so great tho is there are 1000 youtube videos on how to fix anything you want (still jealous of kids now)had to give my stampede away back in the 90s because i couldnt figure out how to fix a simple driveshaft from coming out. That wouldnt be an issue now.

So basically wil there be any adult help... does this adult know how to maintain rc cars?(stampede is easier) How far do you live from middle illinois (for the granite warrenty) would shipping costs (only when sending in the granite, not parts sent to you ) be an issue for the parent if they got the granite.

As much as i want to say get the granite because of the warrenty and free parts and the security it brings. i cant deny it is really a breeze to fix a stampede and would give the kid a better oppertunity to learn about rc cars becayse of how it is layed out and the lesser amount of screws. Also if you can fix a stampede you can fix a slash rusler bandit.

Sounds like a great gift either way. Would lean toward the stampede. Just a little more simple.

If the child has an rc hobbist adult helping him tho and they have worked on a few before....granite all the way. Jumps way better then stampede or rustler

Agree with all said in here. Both are equally good fun, but base your decision on parts availability / accessibility first and foremost, and if parts availability's an issue either way, have a look at what you can find online, what it'd cost to ship to your area etc.

One thing we can say...the Arrma's are tough, should be ok for a 4 year old.

Definitely agree on that yes, higher gearing would be better, rather a more acceleration and less top speed. Can always adjust the gearing as the little one becomes more experienced and confident. Kinda like a manual 'beginner mode', hahaha.

I really could not see a 4 year old doing all the work on a rc hobbygrade truck by themself.
Tho i agree arrmas are tough and regardless of the two monster trucks using a brushed motor on either the stampede or granite very little damage will really happen except for a burnt motor r two
If the kid lives near a rc hobby shop they will probably carry both but if you get the granite use the warrenty for a bit.

I will say one thing i think we all can agree that lowering a tooth or two on the pinion will probably help the longveity and learning or driving the rc.

Hope this is helping

I let my 4 (almost 5) year old son drive my granite blx and he loves it. It is plenty durable and easy to control but WAY too fast for someone his age. I have added an aftermarket radio system that, among other things, allows me to adjust throttle end points. I normally set it at 35% which is fast enough to keep him interested and slow enough to keep things safe. At that speed the granite seems pretty much indestructible. I also added a neck strap so he cannot drop it.
Hi Dustin. I am looking at my options for my kid. Would you mind sharing the aftermarket radio you got to adjust the Throttle? I am new to the hobby.

Thank you.

François

I think the 3s Granite would be a great choice and also give lots of room to grow. The remote has an adjustable speed button so speed can be lowered to 50 or 75%. Also if ran on a 2s lipo it will be slower as well. I'd suggest starting him with a 2s lipo and start on 50% I'd guess top speed would be about 25mph maybe. As he gets older and learns more skill adjust up to 100% with the 2s pack for about 35mph maybe. And again as he progresses pick up a 3s lipo for more top speed when he is ready. Also not sure what Traxxas warranty coverage is but all Arrma rigs are covered for 2 years under their warranty which can be worth its weight in gold sometimes.

tumbleweed GIF

I think the 3s Granite would be a great choice and also give lots of room to grow. The remote has an adjustable speed button so speed can be lowered to 50 or 75%. Also if ran on a 2s lipo it will be slower as well. I'd suggest starting him with a 2s lipo and start on 50% I'd guess top speed would be about 25mph maybe. As he gets older and learns more skill adjust up to 100% with the 2s pack for about 35mph maybe. And again as he progresses pick up a 3s lipo for more top speed when he is ready. Also not sure what Traxxas warranty coverage is but all Arrma rigs are covered for 2 years under their warranty which can be worth its weight in gold sometimes.
Traxxas is 30 day warranty last I heard. And very limited. Like most brands.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back