Thinking of getting an Arrma.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riddle

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello all, new here.
I've been into rc for a few years now. Been a nitro guy untill just recently. Built a tmaxx to the hilt, os .18 and all etc etc. Every time I took it out something would break. I rebuilt a crushed jato and she's treated me well, I'll have it forever I think. Anyhow, I traded off that money pit tmaxx for a decent brushless stampede 4x4 it's smaller, looks weaker, lighter than the Maxx but I haven't broken a thing. It's a chincy little plastic turd and I can't really get over how cheap it is.albeit a tuff turd. It's not very fast but it's quick on 3's. Quicker than my Maxx was. My jato is into the 70's so that's my go to for speed runs. Anyhow, all I've had is Traxxas vehicles and I've been exploring other brands platforms. Mainly because Traxxas are peepee's and I'm tired of reinventing the wheel strengthening these little things up to the point they should be at when I pull them out of the box brand new. I shouldn't have to upgrade the crap out of it just to have some fun. I guess I'm tired of "buying twice" so to speak. Fast forward over the past few months as I research various brands. Losi and the other "top manufacturers" designs seemed chincy and weak as well like the Traxxas ones.. I just wanted something laid out similar to my jato but tailored to off-road more than on. Low cg, can bash and ramp big-time without breaking everything all at once lol. Something that handles well and is quick. I wanted Fast, reliable and agile. It seemed I could only pick two no matter what brand I looked into. I was starting to think every rc is just a different case of problems to solve no matter how you slice the pie. I don't mind turning wrenches, but I don't want to fix it every time I run it. Anyhow, I have since found Arrma. I like how everything looks. They are strong right out of the box. They seem to have a great following, good customer service, great warranty. Plus they don't act like asshats and Sue companies like Traxxas does. I'm done with that brand. I'll keep my trucks, but I won't buy a single part from Traxxas anymore. My money is better spent elsewhere. Anyways, I think I've decided to give Arrma a try.

All the riffraff aside...I can't decide what platform to go with. I like the Outcast, the Kraton and the Talion. I like the talion best in terms of looks but I like that the kraton has a bit wider stance, beefier hexes, and a little more mass overall. I think I would be happier with the kraton. It seems a bit more suited for the abuse I put my rc's through. I guess what I'm going for is input from other Arrma owners first hand. Let me know how y'all feel and what your experiences are like. From what I've read already, everything looks kosher. All metal driveline right out of the box, 6s capable with good motor and esc, decent Rx tx, and the prices are fair. If anyone cares to weigh in on way or another, please do.

All I gotta say is I love my Kraton. It is my son's actually. He beats it like you would expect a teen too, and the Kraton handles it well. It is a V1, with a Nero motor&ESC.

Shim the diffs, and you will be good to go.

Kraton all the way! I ran 6s straight out of the box no problems at all. I would recommend stronger servo and servo mount.

I love my Typhon. It seems unbreakable save for 2-3 things. I've broken my 3rd pary wheels (wheels!) while the A arms and transmission elements were absolutely unfazed by the whole event, the body has started slightly cracking around the mounts from landing upside down repeatedly, nothing glassfiber and shoegoo did not fix, and the wing has a half inch cut in the middle just above the shock (not sure how that happened, such a weird place).

Mods to make it 200%bulletproof: thicker diff oil, washer mod on the front arms, shimmed diffs, real loctite on cups and pinion, motor mount etc, front and rear Tbone bumpers.
I also run sealed bearings and use mudguards.

When I think of all the crap I had to change on my Slash to stop it from breaking every single time I ran it...

I did a zombie experience with two V1 Kratons becoming one...In essence I still have two Kraton, perhaps minus two or three parts, so a box full of spare parts...Which I don't seem to need...o_O
So yeah, jump into it...Buy a Kraton...:D
And btw, don't Bash, Blast!...;)

Welcome to the family...:)

Ps. I have a E-maxx, same money pit you described...

Kraton all day! Have the v1 and still tearing up local parks almost 3 years later! (Shimmed diffs,better servo)

Ya I have a kraton and a fazon and both spur and pinions went on both the first runs out of the box it's disappointing yes but they are under warranty and the customer service is quite excellent and unexpected nowadays Anyway the parts are in back order but I was amazed at the level of customer appreciation they show. Unparalleled! And for that I'll stick w them ya they both broke right away but not to many vehicles can handle that kinda power and since I order Robison gears I'm sure it won't happen again

Last edited:
Everyone is going to hate me for this, but get a Tekno ET48.
There is nothing wrong with suggesting something else. Like @Aflan said, as long as it's not a traxxas lol. The only downside here is that the Talion and Kraton are $500 RTR, while the Tekno is $525 for the kit! After that you still need the radio system, motor, esc, pinion and servo. So when it's ready to go you would most likely be around $900-1,000. That's a big difference in price in my books. Not saying it's not worth it, just something to consider.

So basically what you're saying it would is it would be less money than buying a Traxxas?! Anyway I'm married and I don't spend hardly a fraction of that!! "Cough cough". If anyone cares to admit we all know that it doesn't matter what it is we spend more than we like to admit. Lmao

So basically what you're saying it would is it would be less money than buying a Traxxas?! Anyway I'm married and I don't spend hardly a fraction of that!! "Cough cough". If anyone cares to admit we all know that it doesn't matter what it is we spend more than we like to admit. Lmao

If you count all the spares and upgrades needed to bash a Erevo or Emaxx for a year, then yeah, that Tekno probably would be cheaper. :)

Oh, and add wheels and tire to the list of "need to buy" to complete a ET48.3 kit.

If you count all the spares and upgrades needed to bash a Erevo or Emaxx for a year, then yeah, that Tekno probably would be cheaper. :)

Oh, and add wheels and tire to the list of "need to buy" to complete a ET48.3 kit.
I thought I had listed the wheels and tires but after looking at my post, you are correct that I forgot to list them. Thank you for catching that.

Actually what does everyone think of the hot bodies truggy. That think looks awesome imo even if u don't want to race. https://hbracing.com/en/cars/off-road/electric/e817t-1-8-competition-electric-truggy/
That's more expensive than the Tekno!! I have never read any reviews or anything about the HB Racing rigs. I also don't know how readily available parts are for them, but they look like a solid rig from looking at pictures of them.

The more u invest makes it worth more so u spend even more! Vicious cycle but I enjoy it.

I just think of the money I spend to make what I have as good as I can so why not just buy what I want to achieve in the long run and save myself the agony of deciding which upgrade comes first and can I buy it this week or do I have to wait till I get paid next week etc etc I get disappointed when it takes me an hour to change a spur and pinion and takes five minutes to break what I just did. I know also that if it's not done right then I'll be doing it again just don't expect when's it's right that I'm five minutes I'll be doing it again. I have others that last longer than the fazon. I'm just complaining today sry

I run the Kraton, and can't say enough good things about it. Will you break stuff? Yes. Mostly because you can do things that you couldn't before. a 10 foot high back flip is kid's play, so lets send it 15 feet up, and 70 feet long. Let's see if it can hill climb 100 feet at a 60* angle. Eventually we push too far, mess up and break stuff. But to know that as long as I do my part, and land on all 4's, that the car will handle anything else, is a good feeling. I say that out of the box, you go get it dirty. Then come back and clean it, strip down the diffs and add the shims, swap the bearings, and order an upgrade servo, so you can replace the stock servo when it dies. The Outcast is basically a short wheel base Kraton, and is just a tough. However, it is a lot more squirrelly, but flips like a gymnast.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back