Fireteam Third time pinion flew off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abh16

Reaction score
Anything besides loctite the grub to keep pinion gear on? My fireteam lost its gear three times this past 2 weeks. Is the clip even doing anything that's gone too.

MIP hex drivers thread lock and crank it down and let it sit for 24 hrs. Make sure your threads on the grub screw are clean from old TL first
My exb pinion kept falling off till I did this then never again. The 2.0mm & 2.5mm MIP hex drivers are mostly all your gunna need

I had this problem with my xmaxx..wouldn't stay on for nothing.. I agree with @Alan Make sure the grub and pinion are completely cleaned of old thread locker. 24 hour cure time. It's been working for a couple weeks without coming loose. Good luck👍

To add on to what everyone else said, make sure your gear mesh is not too tight.

I've switched to Tekno gears as they use a larger set screw. Even then I use isopropyl alcohol to clean them first. If its a used gear that has seen locktite a couple time I will get them warm with a mini torch and burn it off. Then clean the residue with alcohol. Always let it sit for 24 hours otherwise it's going to come loose.

I've switched to Tekno gears as they use a larger set screw. Even then I use isopropyl alcohol to clean them first. If its a used gear that has seen locktite a couple time I will get them warm with a mini torch and burn it off. Then clean the residue with alcohol. Always let it sit for 24 hours otherwise it's going to come loose.
Their gears require a 2.5 driver right?

Their gears require a 2.5 driver right?
Yessir, 2.5mm driver it is for Tekno pinions. I recently replaced all of my M5 grub screws with Torx® grubs and they have just been excellent. Can recommend.

Yessir, 2.5mm driver it is for Tekno pinions. I recently replaced all of my M5 grub screws with Torx® grubs and they have just been excellent. Can recommend.
I'll see if they make them in Torx plus. I believe I have drivers in that size. Torx plus is the best thing since beer.

I'll see if they make them in Torx plus. I believe I have drivers in that size. Torx plus is the best thing since beer.
Took me a bit of searching to find M5 Torx grub screws so if it's of any help, mine are made by FG. It doesn't say Torx plus specifically, but I've been exceedingly happy with these.

6930/05 FG Grub screw with Torx M5x5mm - 15pcs.

Took me a bit of searching to find M5 Torx grub screws so if it's of any help, mine are made by FG. It doesn't say Torx plus specifically, but I've been exceedingly happy with these.

6930/05 FG Grub screw with Torx M5x5mm - 15pcs.
I'll check em out. Thanks. Torx plus is the same thing except the star edges are rounded giving more bite.

How you CLean off loctite....with a Degreaser?
I use my mini torch, a wire brush, and a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the screw.
DON'T lay the hot screw on the wooden dining room table!
DON'T lay the hot screw on a good towel (Also, DON'T use a good towel for anything RC)!
DON'T lay the hot screw on the carpet!

I also use Robinson Racing pinions and as of today are now on all three rigs, no more stock pinions or grubs for me.

I use my mini torch, a wire brush, and a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the screw.
DON'T lay the hot screw on the wooden dining room table!
DON'T lay the hot screw on a good towel (Also, DON'T use a good towel for anything RC)!
DON'T lay the hot screw on the carpet!

I also use Robinson Racing pinions and as of today are now on all three rigs, no more stock pinions or grubs for me.

I feel like you are speaking a little bit from experience here 🤷‍♂️

2.5 or 3, I can remember but the actual bit size but it's an M5 set screw.
My Tekno pinions have a 5mm grub screw with a 2.5mm socket. I’ve never felt the need to go to Torx grubs because I’ve never had issues with them coming loose.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back