This hobby stinks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Nero
  3. Talion
I bought a fazon 6s yesterday (I think). Now on my next bash session I bend my chassis break my wing mount and one of my motor cooling fans will not turn on. All that happened immediately after I bought a rc car my budget can't afford. !USED FAZON 6s and TALION 6s for sale! (just kidding)

I bought a fazon 6s yesterday (I think). Now on my next bash session I bend my chassis break my wing mount and one of my motor cooling fans will not turn on. All that happened immediately after I bought a rc car my budget can't afford. !USED FAZON 6s and TALION 6s for sale! (just kidding)
I’ll take the Fazon 😬

Considering what we put our trucks through, it's quite astounding that we don't do more damage. Imagine a real car doing those things, with everything scaled up including speed - that would be absolute insanity!

I have friends interested in getting into RC and their mindset is not right - they think they can simply buy a RTR and run it for years, and they have zero interest in wrenching on it. Bound to be disappointed if they don't adapt and realize that driving RC's means fixing them.

For my recent Kraton EXB build, I went overboard and I bought enough parts to almost build three of them, so that I have stock and don't need to wait when I break stuff, especially considering how certain parts often go out of stock for months on end....

In my case, I thought it made more sense to stock the extra parts by ordering them independently, since I have lots of upgrades and didn't use many of the stock EXB parts. But in retrospect, it still would have been significantly cheaper to purchase a couple rollers and then some upgraded spare parts on top of that.

So if you just budget for the cost of a RTR, that's not gonna cut it unfortunately, unless you just want to watch it on the shelf....

Considering what we put our trucks through, it's quite astounding that we don't do more damage. Imagine a real car doing those things, with everything scaled up including speed - that would be absolute insanity!

I have friends interested in getting into RC and their mindset is not right - they think they can simply buy a RTR and run it for years, and they have zero interest in wrenching on it. Bound to be disappointed if they don't adapt and realize that driving RC's means fixing them.

For my recent Kraton EXB build, I went overboard and I bought enough parts to almost build three of them, so that I have stock and don't need to wait when I break stuff, especially considering how certain parts often go out of stock for months on end....

In my case, I thought it made more sense to stock the extra parts by ordering them independently, since I have lots of upgrades and didn't use many of the stock EXB parts. But in retrospect, it still would have been significantly cheaper to purchase a couple rollers and then some upgraded spare parts on top of that.

So if you just budget for the cost of a RTR, that's not gonna cut it unfortunately, unless you just want to watch it on the shelf....

So true.

The 3 levels of RC fun for me:
- Driving
- Wrenching
- Spare parts management

I think you either need several RCs so that you have other options when you are waiting for parts, or you need a pretty good (and well organized) stock of spare parts so that you can repair pretty much anything right away. It's an important part of the hobby that is often overlooked.

So true.

- Driving
- Wrenching
- Spare parts management

I think you either need several RCs so that you have other options when you are waiting for parts, or you need a pretty good (and well organized) stock of spare parts so that you can repair pretty much anything right away. It's an important part of the hobby that is often overlooked.
I just ordered another car

Tru
So true.

- Driving
- Wrenching
- Spare parts management

Truth 👍👊

So true.

- Driving
- Wrenching
- Spare parts management

Agreed, I have severely neglected the parts management side of things to my peril. Currently I have two big Rubbermaid bins filled with parts for every vehicle. My wife shakes her head whenever I have to completely empty a bin just to find a nut or something! Will get around to organizing soon.

When it rains, it pours.

Some cheap recommendations that get your organized quickly. Yes you have to actually fill them up.

Gears, wires etc
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough-Heavy-Duty-Interlocking-Organizer-2-Pack/396141900

For nuts and bolts I use the medium version but they also have small and large. I take some of them to the field and like the locking feature.
https://www.harborfreight.com/large-organizer-ip55-rated-56578.html
I have plenty hardware for my talion (if I run out of what I have I will order more from ebay or JRC or JBI)

This is what I use to organize parts, fits most everything except big things i.e. shock towers and wing mounts. Got them from Walmart. Also get a label maker while you're at it. I try to order 2 of anything I break so I have extras for next time.

20210513_103219.jpg

Start flying RC planes. My observation: They last on average 10 - 15 seconds for a newcomer who did not get a simulator or someone who can teach. That is 10 - 15 seconds total flying time until totally damaged and not repairable. ;)

Even the little foam trainers with SAFE tech? My gf wants to start flying RC planes. I have no interest in it, but it'd be fun to both be in the RC hobby together.

This is what I use to organize parts, fits most everything except big things i.e. shock towers and wing mounts. Got them from Walmart. Also get a label maker while you're at it. I try to order 2 of anything I break so I have extras for next time.

View attachment 145435
Is it disturbing that I don't know what half of those parts do?

Even the little foam trainers with SAFE tech? My gf wants to start flying RC planes. I have no interest in it, but it'd be fun to both be in the RC hobby together.

Long time RC pilot here: short answer is "Yes".

Full disclaimer, I'm not familiar with what exactly the SAFE tech is, but I can assume it's some kind of gyro-based assist that recovers the plane to straight-and-level flight if needed, based on what I've seen in the past. That being said, there's more to flying RC planes than just "not crashing". There's a proper way to take-off and land that needs to be taught if one is not familiar with flying. And the whole reverse-controls is bad enough in surface vehicles, but it's much more pronounced in planes, especially when they can fly inverted.

Anyone serious about getting into RC planes should do themselves a favor and get with an instructor/experienced pilot first.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back