This hobby stinks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Familiar with Safe etc., you will be overwhelmed at first and you will crash if you are unprepared. Not a big deal if you start small and simple. Get a simulator first. UMX Turbo Timber or similar as entry level.

SAFE tech in a plane is cool, but it's "a bit like" using a gyro in a car on the steering servo. A help but you have to know what you do. In a drone it's cool. But planes and drones are two totally different rc toys.

6s in a Kraton for a beginner does the same as for someone experienced. You go to fast and high and loose control - stuff breaks. 4s on a 6s car is half the ticket to take it home - not broken.

I am not a fan of Safe mode, but I understand it can be helpful for some. I learned to fly the hard way, and went through a lot of planes, before I got it all sorted out. Since then, I have taught several others, what to do, and what not to do. I could have saved a ton of money If I'd had a mentor when learning. The internet was still newish back then so there wasn't a lot of info available yet.

Familiar with Safe etc., you will be overwhelmed at first and you will crash if you are unprepared. Not a big deal if you start small and simple. Get a simulator first. UMX Turbo Timber or similar as entry level.
I love my UMX Turbo Timber! Great for slow casual flight, Ripping around the sky, or just having fun doing STOL. Small, agile with just enough get up and go. My UMX MiG15 and Wildcat are for scale flying. ;)

I fly only small, light foam planes anymore. SAFE is a software feature that enables a return to straight and level, unaccelerated flight. On the other hand, AS3X, the technology SAFE is derived from, is a huge benefit to pilots like me. It keeps my small foam aircraft on their commanded path, much like AVC. It is a huge help in the wind. The only problem these days is the FAA's ruling on remote controlled aircraft. I could rant for hours (and have) about that and what it has done to my airplane and FPV hobby. It's also one of the main reasons I came back to RC cars.

I have an eventual goal to get into RC planes. The added challenge of tuning everything so you can have successful flights is somehow appealing to me. Not sure if I can find an instructor where I am though, and I can imagine how frustrating it might be at the start. There must be SO much to learn to get everything right to avoid trashing it on the first flight.

Probably overly high ambitions, but I don't think my life will be complete without one of these, which I had the opportunity to see flying once: A-10 Thunderbolt II.

I’ve got both bashers torn apart and haven’t ran all week. But holy bajeesus did I drop Money on them. Spent about 300cad on tekno diffs tonight. For 2 hardened steel diff cases, bevel gears, pinion gears and out drives. The spider gears and shims last week aswell as a complete M2c game changer truggy chassis. I love it...??

I originally told myself before buying the mt410 was to keep it stock/ lightly modified.... haha well look how that played out. Honestly I blame the truggified typhon. The thing just has so much raw power and is glued to the ground. It’s put a smile on my face like no other rc has done before. The mt410 is amazing I’m just tired of the constant wheelies, even just on 4s it’s a demon child.
Edit: oh ya this truggy conversion started because I grenaded the Center diff... haha

@nyev, honestly the majority of the planes literally fly out of the box. Learning curve is on the landing part. Flying is fairly easy but you have to get used to looking at the plane, not flying aimlessly around and keeping good visual. First time you are looking into the sun you will know what I mean.
Always going forward and no brake is another eye opener. Landing is probably the most difficult i.e. landing gracefully. The small UMX are very light and forgiving.
Nature will be against you, there really isn't much to tune besides always obeying the CG.

I find it funny how most threads I post in get totally off topic
Well, yeah, dude, you posted in the off-topic section. The discussion fans out like the butterfly effect here: sensitive dependence on initial conditions. You set the initial conditions, and the forum came alive with conversation. It's a beautiful thing.

My fazon came and it is a beast. diff locks included but one of the locks isn't working. (the car was not in the best condition so I did maintenance all afternoon yesterday...my wrist has permanent cramps)

I absolutely love this hobby and if your in it deep , definitely need a budget the spare parts and multiple toys to play with :) my choices were big rock v3, into a kraton exb , and now the losi lasernut which on 4a is a blast. Also have 2 crawlers a axial scx24 and red cat danchee, yup in deep 🤣

For some reason I hate maintenance, while repairs and upgrades are even more fun than driving
I'm the opposite, I like maintenance, it's soothing to optimize and polish. But repairs mean I can't grab and go until I have the parts, the time, and the daylight!

So true.

The 3 levels of RC fun for me:
- Driving
- Wrenching
- Spare parts management

I think you either need several RCs so that you have other options when you are waiting for parts, or you need a pretty good (and well organized) stock of spare parts so that you can repair pretty much anything right away. It's an important part of the hobby that is often overlooked.
I started the hobby last spring I have over 10 trucks now I find if you bash often more trucks is better as I tend to break them all the time . It’s a viscous cycle of bash em all break em all then fix them all lmao

I have a Typhon, rock crawlers, tanks, snowcats, a drone, and 6CH 3D helis, but no planes. So far, nothing comes close to building, setting up, flying and maintaining the helicopters. Especially the larger ones, (i.e. Goblin/Devil 420.) It's just nuts 😮🙃🤘🏼

As others stated, it is critical, for me, to have several RCs, and to spend some real time learning.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back