Kraton This is my Kraton many others are like it but this is my Kraton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turn2burn

Reaction score
This is the beginning where so many others have started out. Im really amazed at quality and lack of screws being tightened.
Very thankful from the folks here that helped make my decisions. Ordered the power system and gotta get some more 2s hard packs, man they are cheep like 12 bucks.
Play in front end up and down from control arms, will set droop, check shims, open diffs (do I really have to, because if I do Im swapping out 50/200/30 and its going to cost a lot).
Cheep amazon servo, seems great for 20 bucks. Tires are glued on good. Going to use screen door tape and Gorilla bed liner to reinforce body, maybe even some auto edge protecting strips.
Excited, just waiting for radio link radio and debating the telemetry receiver.

20221230_191108.jpg

Thanks. These are the packs, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L7KQB8R?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
And yes I hate deans but they were for another car!

Yea I gotta go over the screws too, they say they fixed the diff issues on the exb but who knows. Im cheap so Im just going to get 200k and 30k diff fluid and top off. I'v heard the diffs are different on the EXB and I wonder if I should just pick up some 10k and 100k.

Yea Ill have to see how they handle discharge. Slightly frustrated as my esc is going to be set up XT90's (I hate deans). But I may want to switch to 6s at some point, Ill only have one usable pack right now which is ok as its winter. Heres the build list.
Hobbywing Max8 esc and 4278 2200kv motor
5.2 amp cheep 2s packs in series
Tekno 13t pinion gear
RadioLink 4 channel radio and telemetry receiver
.13 travel speed, BB, coreless, h2o proof $20 35kg servo
3m rubberized undercoating for body plus shoo goo and some carbon fiber in spots

Anyone think of anything else I need?

I'm still waiting for my truck to arrive, so no suggestions here, I'm afraid.

I may need to change the connectors on my existing 6S packs, for use in the truck. But I was happy to learn about the XT90-S, the integrated anti-spark version. Having had sparking previously, on 6S, they are probably what I will change to. If you're putting on new connectors anyhow, especially XT90, the anti-spark version may be worth considering.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074PTHZ3M/

I saw your post with that chassis skin else wear I though it was cool, but not vinyl wrap?

Oh no not another bump in the road for the great connector debate. I thought XT90 were safe? The female and mail have to couple before the terminals contact which prevented that. I would technically only need 2 males on the esc?

I saw your post with that chassis skin else wear I though it was cool, but not vinyl wrap?

Oh no not another bump in the road for the great connector debate. I thought XT90 were safe? The female and mail have to couple before the terminals contact which prevented that. I would technically only need 2 males on the esc?

I believe the XT-series connectors are plenty safe, yes. Sorry, I didn't mean sparking in the sense of shorting out or causing a fire. I meant sparking as you connect the battery to the vehicle's ESC. The capacitors on the ESC are discharged, and draw a lot of current (very very briefly) as you connect the LiPo. This causes a spark as the contacts touch, of whatever connector you're using (EC3, IC5, Deans, whatever).

This isn't a safety hazard. But that spark can start to pit and erode the tips of the electrical connectors, a tiny bit each time. For even higher-voltage applications, with bigger sparks, this because a larger concern, like 12S systems.

But the XT90-S have an integrated resistor at the tip of the contacts, which connects first. So instead of having a 0.001 Ohm connection (or whatever), which flows a ton of current and causes a spark, the connection starts with flowing through a 5 Ohm resistor (so a max of 5A, based on 25V 6S batteries), at the very tip of the connector. This avoids a spark, and lets the capacitors start charging more gradually. And as you continue pushing the connectors together, you then get past this integrated resistor, and have contact through the low-resistance main portion of the connector, which is what's used while driving.

So they are used like a normal connector. You avoid having a smaller, secondary anti-spark connector which is connected first, as some people have done. But you get an anti-spark feature, and the XT90-S still seem reasonably priced, to me. Not like it's a game-changer, but I like the sounds of that feature. Especially if going XT90 (plain version) anyhow.

Deans don't have anti-spark, neither do EC3/IC3, or EC5/IC5, Traxxas High Current, or XT60. The XT90-S are the smallest anti-spark connectors that I've heard about. Then I think the next anti-spark option is a larger 150-amp (?) connector.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back