This is why I would never want a plastic chassis on a 1/8 scale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
Exhibit A. My Big Rock Crew Cab.

20190429_161132.jpg

Plastic breaks. I

How much to replace a chassis @bicketybam? Kit breaker or retail.
They are cheap. And I already had one from my Senton. The nice thing is I had everything swapped over in under an hour. The 3s/4s trucks are really easy to work on. Here it is in the background with the Senton chassis already on.
20190429_170759.jpg

I would never buy a plastic chassis on 1/8 scale with the added weight.

Ouch! Of course, I've seen some of your videos, so I know that truck hasn't exactly had an easy life :LOL:

I just recently cracked the chassis on my Granite Voltage as well. I've got the replacement part in, but I decided to buy a piece of angle aluminum from the local hardware store, chop it up, and epoxy it onto a few key locations. Hopefully that will help keep me from cracking the new one.

I might consider plastic if it was a speed-run or on-road type of vehicle, but jumping anything as big an heavy as a 1/8th would require one heck of a plastic chassis to survive.

Ouch! Of course, I've seen some of your videos, so I know that truck hasn't exactly had an easy life :LOL:

I just recently cracked the chassis on my Granite Voltage as well. I've got the replacement part in, but I decided to buy a piece of angle aluminum from the local hardware store, chop it up, and epoxy it onto a few key locations. Hopefully that will help keep me from cracking the new one.

I might consider plastic if it was a speed-run or on-road type of vehicle, but jumping anything as big an heavy as a 1/8th would require one heck of a plastic chassis to survive.

This is the first chassis I’ve broken on a 3s rig. And you are correct - I abuse my trucks. I have the jump that did it on video but it was really a cumulative effect of 8 months of abuse. I don’t blame the truck or Arrma. But I stand by my comment that I would never want plastic on an 1/8 scale rig. You can hammer a metal chassis straight. You can upgrade to a thicker metal chassis. But plastic? No thanks. 1/10 scale? Sure. 1/8 or larger? Hard pass.

This is the first chassis I’ve broken on a 3s rig. And you are correct - I abuse my trucks. I have the jump that did it on video but it was really a cumulative effect of 8 months of abuse. I don’t blame the truck or Arrma. But I stand by my comment that I would never want plastic on an 1/8 scale rig. You can hammer a metal chassis straight. You can upgrade to a thicker metal chassis. But plastic? No thanks. 1/10 scale? Sure. 1/8 or larger? Hard pass.

you could go buy an xmaxx... a $900USD piece of plastic lol nothing like a 1/6 truck with the ground clearance of a 1/10

you could go buy an xmaxx... a $900USD piece of plastic lol nothing like a 1/6 truck with the ground clearance of a 1/10
I could never buy the xmaxx or erevo. Seen the revo break stuff on 3-4 ft. jumps and brand new xmaxx rip bodies off on same low jumps.

Traxxas needs to up their game because Arrma is schooling them right now.

I could never buy the xmaxx or erevo. Seen the revo break stuff on 3-4 ft. jumps and brand new xmaxx rip bodies off on same low jumps.

I’m not brand bashing, lol. I’m just saying that I prefer a *good* metal chassis on 1/8 scale or larger rigs. I will admit I was shocked when I found out a certain manufacturer doesn’t make alloy chassis for their electric trucks.

I’m not brand bashing, lol. I’m just saying that I prefer a *good* metal chassis on 1/8 scale or larger rigs. I will admit I was shocked when I found out a certain manufacturer doesn’t make alloy chassis for their electric trucks.
Understood. Me either just stating what I observe on YouTube.

We used to have a revo, but it was a converted nitro one(which is best way to do it) better drag links, steering links and rpm arms and it went pretty good

the only good thing about traxxas is their involvement in Motorsports... something the Big RC Race brands should take notice of... RCGP is going to make ifmar look like Cr@p

We used to have a revo, but it was a converted nitro one(which is best way to do it) better drag links, steering links and rpm arms and it went pretty good
That was my first nitro 2.5R

The only TRX truck I would consider is their crawler or an XMAXX, but in reality I’ll never buy either.
ill be honest, we considered Xmaxx's but friends of ours have 2 and the body ordeal is just dumb, they keep breaking bulkheads because the truck bottoms out so easily on small jumps, it needs to sit naturally higher with reinforced shock towers(these break when you look at them wrong) and a few other things... its not a $900 truck though lol

ill be honest, we considered Xmaxx's but friends of ours have 2 and the body ordeal is just dumb, they keep breaking bulkheads because the truck bottoms out so easily on small jumps, it needs to sit naturally higher with reinforced shock towers(these break when you look at them wrong) and a few other things... its not a $900 truck though lol
So why does Kevin Talbot swear by them?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back