This looks fun..!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just without googling, i'm going to make a guess: 99% sure it's not.

Did I win the grand prize????

EDIT: BIG OOOF. I lost the game.

"HPI Savage is a line of radio-controlled monster trucks manufactured in Japan by Hobby Products International of Foothill Ranch, California, US."
HPI has changed ownership a few times since they started. Either way, their distribution in the US sucks. Like I said, I believe the products are good, but the company history..IDK.
Also, that's gotta be some old stats..none of these are made in Japan anymore? Could explain the price, but I'd doubt it.
With some googling 😉: founded in California now Scandinavian.
kristen wiig snl GIF by Saturday Night Live
Was kinda hoping it was Bavarian..

BlaringEvenAlpineroadguidetigerbeetle.jpg

Last edited:
So here's a question for everyone, if you had the flux version what would be the better power system..!!

CASTLE vs HOBBYWING :unsure:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle...esc-motor-combo-800kv-cse010-0167-01/p1262843

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbyw...tor-combo-w-56113sl-800kv-hwa38010600/p971793
The hobbywing cause it's massively cheaper??
HPI has changed ownership a few times since they started. Either way, their distribution in the US sucks. Like I said, I believe the products are good, but the company history..IDK.
Also, that's gotta be some old stats..none of these are made in Japan anymore? Could explain the price, but I'd doubt it.

View attachment 248511
HPI is still getting back up to speed imo. The prices are a barrier to entry anyway, but I'd still be slow to jump in until they got more steam. Although if I had 800 to drop willy nilly I'd totally buy one of the Vorzas right now.

So here's a question for everyone, if you had the flux version what would be the better power system..!!

CASTLE vs HOBBYWING :unsure:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle...esc-motor-combo-800kv-cse010-0167-01/p1262843

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbyw...tor-combo-w-56113sl-800kv-hwa38010600/p971793
Better? Likely Castle, my choice, Hobbywing.

HPI is still getting back up to speed imo. The prices are a barrier to entry anyway, but I'd still be slow to jump in until they got more steam. Although if I had 800 to drop willy nilly I'd totally buy one of the Vorzas right now.
I feel ya, that new Vorza truggy would be mine, "if I had a million dollars ".. parts is gonna be a problem IMO.

View attachment 248511

Yes their distribution sucks right now but that is just HRP. Was that you that was talking to the guy from rc hobby explosion about the Team Corally stuff and he said that HRP just wasn't really ordering anything?

HPI models have always cost more than some of the other big brands.

Better? Likely Castle, my choice, Hobbywing.

I feel ya, that new Vorza truggy would be mine, "if I had a million dollars ".. parts is gonna be a problem IMO.

Last I checked the only parts that aren't currently available in the US are the shocks(the Hot Bodies D817T shocks should be the same size iirc), rear shock tower, body, chassis, center rear driveshaft and tires. Maybe the front a arms but I would have to double check that. For what it's worth I haven't broken an a arm in the past 3 years of owning mine.

Was that you that was talking to the guy from rc hobby explosion about the Team Corally stuff and he said that HRP just wasn't really ordering anything?
No, but I do remember the post. I'm sorry if I come off as dissing HPI. I think their current lineup looks good. I'd really like to have that new truggy. I really hope they do catch some traction and gain market shares.

No, but I do remember the post. I'm sorry if I come off as dissing HPI. I think their current lineup looks good. I'd really like to have that new truggy. I really hope they do catch some traction and gain market shares.
Nope just adding to what you had said is all.

I essentially have the truggy and all the parts to turn in into a Vorza Flux buggy with high mount rear shock tower.
With some googling 😉: founded in California now Scandinavian.
kristen wiig snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Hpi is currently owned by Vestergaard group http://www.vestergaardgroup.com/ their website looks like something for arts and crafts stores.

Last edited:
@slick2500 .. What's your opinion on the new Baja 5B Flux ?? worth the money or just overpriced :unsure:
Straight conversion from UK list price £699 would make it $775 at todays exchange rate..
Wasn't the old rtr like $1,500? $775 doesn't sound too bad for the roller.

-edit- in 2012 it cost $1,200.
I'd probably get the gas one if I got one.

Last edited:
OK he knows;)
Well there really isn't anything to compare these too other than the clones and the clones have always been cheaper than the HPI so.

Did you get the Ghost already?
Yes posted some unboxing pics. But I drove it yesterday again and lost a wheel nut. Even with blue loctide they unthread themselves. Little pit pissed. But now I know I even have to use red loctide on the wheelscrew. Still will make a video but have to see how I get the special wheelcovernut.

Any new info on these? Weird how HPI stuff seems to disappear soo quickly.. I mean there was a lot of buzz about the new savage, then it just faded away.. the Vorza 6s truggy too. I'm interested to find a "larger" 2wd electric something. This Baja might be too much of a reach for my budget, but would love to hear more about it.
Wish there were some 2wd 1/8 scale stuff on the market. Just looking for something that's different.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back