Thoughts on charging vs storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShwTme76

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Outcast 6s
Been doing a ton of reading on all the threads in the forum around lipo storage, etc. thank you to all.

I currently have 1 bat-safe on order and was about to order a second. Then I started thinking that i will be getting a lot more batteries and that will get expensive really fast.

Now I'm thinking to use the bat-safe for when I'm charging/discharging/transporting.

For storage I'm thinking to in the garage build a box within a box using brick and pavers. The inner and outer boxes would be different height, etc. So worst case any flames would be unlikely to get out of both boxes but would still be able to vent. And being in the garage, still keep away from things that are flammable.

Thoughts?

You could also use metal ammo cans without the rubber gasket, they will allow the smoke to escape in the event of a LiPo venting.

I store my LiPos in metal ammo cans without the gasket. The cans are located on a concrete floor in my basement well away from anything that could possibly catch fire. I charge my batteries in fireproof bags on the concrete floor away from the ammo cans.

I'm am engineer, which of course means I tend to over engineer things.

😁

Bat safe for charging, lipo bags for storage. No need to engineer or optimize, just don't over/under charge or poke holes and you'll be okay.

If you want to pursue the logical conclusion, you can get a zoot suit like this:
794px-%C3%9Cbung_Northern_Coast.jpg

Bat safe for charging, lipo bags for storage. No need to engineer or optimize, just don't over/under charge or poke holes and you'll be okay.

If you want to pursue the logical conclusion, you can get a zoot suit like this:
794px-%C3%9Cbung_Northern_Coast.jpg
How did you know where I would end up?

🤣

It's actually pretty hard to get a LiPo to catch on fire if it is at storage charge (3.8 V per cell).

I keep my batteries in the door pockets of my beer fridge on the garage. This keeps them out of the heat in the summer.

I put them in a lipo bag for transport to the field.

Last edited:
Inside a fireproof safe I had laying around. About 2 batteries per small lipo firesafe bag inside the safe. I agree.....hard for them to catch on fire in storage charge.

This is a question I have had for a while...why remove the gasket from the ammo cans? My train of thought was that with the gasket it would starve the lipos of any new oxygen once a fire starts and it would self extinguish. I keep all my lipos in lipo bags inside of ammo cans and all of them have the gasket still installed.

This is a question I have had for a while...why remove the gasket from the ammo cans? My train of thought was that with the gasket it would starve the lipos of any new oxygen once a fire starts and it would self extinguish. I keep all my lipos in lipo bags inside of ammo cans and all of them have the gasket still installed.
It would explode (literally) from the pressure. Lithium fires are self-sustaining, the smoke needs a way to escape or else it builds pressure and explodes the can.

It would explode (literally) from the pressure. Lithium fires are self-sustaining, the smoke needs a way to escape or else it builds pressure and explodes the can.
Thats good to know! Thank you! Ill make a note to take all the gaskets off tonight!

I keep all my lipos in a custom built 2’x 2’ thick lead lined casket, buried 12’ underground in the middle of an open field 1/4 a mile away from the house. It’s a pain to get them in and out but you can never be too safe with lipos.
😀

A venting lipo creates hot gas. In a sealed container this would create a pressure bomb. A venting lipo does not need oxygen to create gas or heat. When you see the venting gasses ignite, then yes, oxygen is involved.

If you knew the maximum pressure the ammo can/gasket can withhold and the maximum pressure the lipos could generate, then you could make an informed decision. However most people buy old army surplus ammo cans so even if you could find the specs for the particular ammo can, and calculate the pressure the lipos within could generate, you would have to take into account the current condition of the ammo can.

Whilst a big can in good condition could probably contain the reaction of a few small lipos, most people would rather control or limit the reaction than risk creating a pressure bomb.

Your question is perfectly valid though as gasses escaping the ammo can could still theoretically ignite, but there are all sorts of other factors that could come into play. Some heat would be lost by the time the gas escapes the ammo can for example.

Essentially the ammo can limits the reaction and its area of impact, rather than completely containing it.

I don't personally use an ammo can or similar. I just keep my lipos away from anything flammable, keep them at 3. 8v per cell, and check them regularly. They are far more likely to fail whilst being (over) charged, (over) discharged or being physically damaged.

I keep all my lipos in a custom built 2’x 2’ thick lead lined casket, buried 12’ underground in the middle of an open field 1/4 a mile away from the house. It’s a pain to get them in and out but you can never be too safe with lipos.
😀
Ok….
I have a confession to make,

I don’t bury my lipos or do any of that ^^^

19F111D1-9CE5-4901-BF7B-2F8A49CBE7D8.jpeg

This is how I store, charge and keep all of my lipos nor do I view them as a hazard sitting out in the open in the house. I do however keep an eye on voltage and run them on a pretty continuous basis throughout the year as to keep tabs on their health and cycle maintenance.

I think the biggest thing to look for is an increase in internal resistance in one cell. Normally you will see it in the performance as well. Run time will be reduced pretty dramatically as the one cell will sag and clip the lvc. Just had one go south on me. 3s pack with IR readings of 7 - 9 - 24. Time to retire it.

Cheap fire proof safe. Put them inside it...or an ammo can. Imo they’re just not that dangerous, just don’t be an idiot...

Thats good to know! Thank you! Ill make a note to take all the gaskets off tonight!
Take the gasket out, cut off one short side, and reinstall the short piece on the latch end of the lid. Without a bit of spring, the latch does not latch properly.

Thanks everyone for all the information... And laughter 🤣

Now I'm just playing the waiting game before I can act on things. Got the lipos, got the charger, got the fans... Still waiting on the truck 😢

So for now the easy option for the lipos was to store them in the...

71jCqkQfcAL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back