Thoughts on leopard 58113

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PWorcester

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
What does everyone think of pairing a leopard 58113 with the Max5? Just testing the waters and trying to determine what way i would like to go. Have the M2c chasis arriving soon!!! Next is motor and electronics so thays why I ask. Any advice is always appreciated. Stock it has amazing components compared to vehicles ive had in the past.

I found the Leopard motors to be great quality.
One question I would have is... does it have to be the biggest motor? I get the cool factor.
I had the 5892 1350kv and it was great. The perk here is that you wouldn't have to modify the gearing so much.
Just something to think about.
I took an XMaxx to 72mph with that motor (y)

I found the Leopard motors to be great quality.
One question I would have is... does it have to be the biggest motor? I get the cool factor.
I had the 5892 1350kv and it was great. The perk here is that you wouldn't have to modify the gearing so much.
Just something to think about.
I took an XMaxx to 72mph with that motor (y)
Thays what im looking for. doesn't have to be huge like your saying. I came from nitro and went all all out for my transition to electric so im wanting to plan the motor right. I know i most likely will need a different motor mount but i will read up on the motor information you have provided tha ks much. Ive beenable to hit 60 stock amd am plenty happy with that.

I think it would be a fantastic pairing if you're talking about the v2. You can get from a 530 to 1050kv which is a nice range. I personally am eyeing the 1050 version to make it easy to maintain the speed I want while still benefiting from the size and tad lower kv.

I had the Leopard 5892 1090kv it is 5.5kW and my X-Maxx had more power than it coul dhandle. For K8s I wouldl ike to get the V2 5892 1200kv it is 6KW and as for 58113 1050kv it is a bit overkill with 8kW and you will never be ablee to utilize the power but for the fun factor go for it :)

I had the Leopard 5892 1090kv it is 5.5kW and my X-Maxx had more power than it coul dhandle. For K8s I wouldl ike to get the V2 5892 1200kv it is 6KW and as for 58113 1050kv it is a bit overkill with 8kW and you will never be ablee to utilize the power but for the fun factor go for it :)
Along with this I would also like to point out that the ESC will cut amps if you try to go too big.(gearing dependent also)
200 amps * 30v = 6,000 watts max (assumed some voltage drop in the 30v number)

Along with this I would also like to point out that the ESC will cut amps if you try to go too big.(gearing dependent also)
200 amps * 30v = 6,000 watts max (assumed some voltage drop in the 30v number)
The Max5 will power it no problems without cutting amps. Over 1000amps burst, and 200amps continuous. The motor is 200amp max, that would be full throttle at take off (burst). Once the car's up to speed the motor will draw half the amount of amps.

The big Leo 1050kv is a great choice. 34T pinion and the k8S will hit 60mph, the motor will run very cool and so will the Max5, no need for a fan on the motor even on a stinking hot summer day

Those burst numbers on the China escs always make me laugh LOL

Oh man, 1000 amps? A max5 is never carrying 1000 amps for any time lol. That aside, yeah I doubt it’ll cut out... it’s a 5th scale esc and a 5th scale motor.

Those burst numbers on the China escs always make me laugh LOL

Oh man, 1000 amps? A max5 is never carrying 1000 amps for any time lol. That aside, yeah I doubt it’ll cut out... it’s a 5th scale esc and a 5th scale motor.

I never said it's actually carrying those amps, that's the proclaimed burst current. No motor will pull anywhere near that much, so it's null and void in the real world really. Once again, read the text i type, not the blank spaces in between.

Either way, why wouldn't it be capable of carrying 1000amps, have you tested it?
The Castle XLX has a burst current of 400amps supposedly

I never said it's actually carrying those amps, that's the proclaimed burst current. No motor will pull anywhere near that much, so it's null and void in the real world really. Once again, read the text i type, not the blank spaces in between.

Either way, why wouldn't it be capable of carrying 1000amps, have you tested it?
Nope but I’ll put a dollar on the fact that a max5 won’t hold a thousand amps for any amount of time. And yeah 400 amps on the xlx for a second or three I don’t doubt it. The mamba monsters see bursts over 200 amps in speed running applications.

Nope but I’ll put a dollar on the fact that a max5 won’t hold a thousand amps for any amount of time. And yeah 400 amps on the xlx for a second or three I don’t doubt it. The mamba monsters see bursts over 200 amps in speed running applications.
Naah of course not, it would only be a few seconds, same with the XLX burst current. Even these big 58113 can motors only pull a couple of hundred amps max, and that's only to get the car moving. Once it's up to speed the continuous amps is halve that :)
I got the 58110 950kv. Got some badlands ready also.
Nice one. Which motor mount are you using?

Last edited:

Look at the posts on Limitless builds this last week. There have been 2 about using 1/8 motors with the HW 1/5 scale esc's cutting amps when they get up around 90mph. Yet the XLX can take those cars to 150mph. The only real advantage of the 1/5 HobbyWing esc is that it is larger (more cooling) and the ability to run upto 34volts.

Claimed numbers are bogus.

Look at the posts on Limitless builds this last week. There have been 2 about using 1/8 motors with the HW 1/5 scale esc's cutting amps when they get up around 90mph. Yet the XLX can take those cars to 150mph. The only real advantage of the 1/5 HobbyWing esc is that it is larger (more cooling) and the ability to run upto 34volts.

Claimed numbers are bogus.

The one and only post i looked at was with a Max6 and the Arrma 2050kv on 8S. Who does that!!! :rolleyes:
You would go with a TP 40xx motor than can handle 50V or more. Anyway..........

All speed runners know the Max6 or Max5 aren't good for that, they haven't got the software for it. There's no way of tinkering with current limiting like you can with the XLX. The Max's have an over current protection, and for good reason. Plus it's a simple plug 'n play ESC

The speed runners choose the XLX because it's a short 7secs or less with the current unlimited, and they're prepared to take the risk of it catching fire - although the "unlimited" max current is actually only 400amp. Allot of them are turning to the Flier or Alien ESC's now anyway.

On the large scale side, the XLX fails at providing enough continuous power for a 58113 size motor in a heavy 1/5 rig, it will sh*t itself.
It also fails at providing a burst current that will see said rig doing a wheelie
The Max5 on the other hand will provide a rock solid continuous 200amps without breaking a sweat until your batteries run out. It will also see said rig doing a wheelie. Allot of die hard Castle fans are even turning to the Max5 now for good reason
Those 2 differences i can certainly confirm, and i'm sure countless others can also

They both have their uses. You claiming the figures are bogus, is purely based on lack of knowledge, no offense btw :)

Castle XLX - cont. (safe/default) amps - 160, burst amps - 400
HW Max5 - cont. amps - 200, burst amps - 1000

On a brighter note, Castle have just released the new 2028 800kv sensored motor, so maybe the new 12S ESC that they were proposing years ago will soon follow. That would be the speed runners dream with a TP motor, and i may even have to try it out myself

Last edited:
Naah of course not, it would only be a few seconds, same with the XLX burst current. Even these big 58113 can motors only pull a couple of hundred amps max, and that's only to get the car moving. Once it's up to speed the continuous amps is halve that :)

Nice one. Which motor mount are you using?
Fastlane

Aahh ok, you can gear up easily with that motor and still have good temps. I have the m2c mount, so max pinion is 34T, but 57mph is plenty fast with my 980kv motor. I might drop in the Leo 58113 1050kv one day, that will get me over 60mph

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back