Thoughts on the Kraton 4s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Voltage
So, I recently got the Kraton 6s 1/8 truck. I love the RC, so I don’t want it to come across as I’m not enjoying it. My hang up is how big it is! My son has the Big Rock and my daughter has the Granite BLX. So, obviously my truck is much bigger and it’s causing me to have to build our ramps much bigger, I need more area to run mine, etc.

I’ve been looking at the Kraton 4s and wondering if I should have bought that one instead…. I guess what I’m asking is do y’all think it would be a mistake to possibly sell the 6s and just buy the 4s???

Thanks!

My son who is almost 8 and myself have a big rock and granite blx and two 6s kratons. Although they are all fun I’d definitely get rid of the 3s rigs if I had to chose. I personally think the 4s options are not much different than the 3s options. The builds are nearly identical other than 4s esc and motor. The 6s rigs are just so much more. I would not sell your 6s Kraton and get a 4s. If you want a light play rig just buy another big rock and bash the heck out of it!

So, I recently got the Kraton 6s 1/8 truck. I love the RC, so I don’t want it to come across as I’m not enjoying it. My hang up is how big it is! My son has the Big Rock and my daughter has the Granite BLX. So, obviously my truck is much bigger and it’s causing me to have to build our ramps much bigger, I need more area to run mine, etc.

I’ve been looking at the Kraton 4s and wondering if I should have bought that one instead…. I guess what I’m asking is do y’all think it would be a mistake to possibly sell the 6s and just buy the 4s???

Thanks!

Hello and Welcome

Having 3S rigs and the Kraton 6S EXB....keep the Kraton. From what you have, I would not put the money on a 4S...same as 3S, meaning it still has the slipper clutch and just a mild upgrade IMHO.

You cannot do much about the size...but you can get smaller tires like the Backflip LP, and you can lower it down with the droop screws & shock collars. It still would be a wide RC, but I would lower it down some to fool the kids with the other 3S rigs.... if your hang up that it is big and fooling the kids a bit, taking it low could help. Raise it back up later down the road.

Just a small example of mine in the past...you can use any tire, and I slightly lowered the droop screws only and not the shock collar.
1674193366376.png

Example with the Backflip LP tires
1674193525366.png

Awesome responses y’all! Thanks for all the information! I guess y’all just convinced me to keep the Kraton 6s(what I wanted to do anyway, lol).

The machine is a beast so I guess I’ll just continue to blast and bash with it!!!

Thanks!!!

As mentioned the K6 is a better/beefier platform, especially considering the price difference.
If you want a car with a smaller footprint have a look at a Typhon 6s. About the same length as the Big Rock, but you have a 6s platform (metal drivetrain etc.).
Add some MT tires and/or longer shocks for a more MT look if you like, with some fiddling with the body posts you should even be able to put a Big Rock or Kraton 4s body on it.

I absolutely love my custom 4S builds. Most of the time I run my cars at the park with my stepdaughter, and there are kids and critters around. The 4s platform is more conducive for this. There’s also a far less chances of seriously hurting somebody with it compared to my heavier Kraton and notorious. Parts are cheaper and they are easy to work on as well. They are down the road with cars if they are driven within their means. It’s when people put over powered motors and treat them like 6s cars that all the problems occur.

Slipper clutches are fine if they are properly set and maintained. I have owned between six and eight, 3/4s cars over the last two+ years and have only destroyed one slipper, back in the beginning when I was learning. If I was mostly driving with my kids who had 3S cars, I would definitely go with a 4s car. Most likely the outcast. Of course I would want my 6S kraton and noto as well, just not for running at the park with the kids and pets running around everywhere, or with my kids, smaller cars, which can easily be bulldozed by it.

As mentioned the K6 is a better/beefier platform, especially considering the price difference.
If you want a car with a smaller footprint have a look at a Typhon 6s. About the same length as the Big Rock, but you have a 6s platform (metal drivetrain etc.).
Add some MT tires and/or longer shocks for a more MT look if you like, with some fiddling with the body posts you should even be able to put a Big Rock or Kraton 4s body on it.

I forgot about the Typhon....good post (y)

I absolutely love my custom 4S builds. Most of the time I run my cars at the park with my stepdaughter, and there are kids and critters around. The 4s platform is more conducive for this. There’s also a far less chances of seriously hurting somebody with it compared to my heavier Kraton and notorious. Parts are cheaper and they are easy to work on as well. They are down the road with cars if they are driven within their means. It’s when people put over powered motors and treat them like 6s cars that all the problems occur.

Slipper clutches are fine if they are properly set and maintained. I have owned between six and eight, 3/4s cars over the last two+ years and have only destroyed one slipper, back in the beginning when I was learning. If I was mostly driving with my kids who had 3S cars, I would definitely go with a 4s car. Most likely the outcast. Of course I would want my 6S kraton and noto as well, just not for running at the park with the kids and pets running around everywhere, or with my kids, smaller cars, which can easily be bulldozed by it.

I've done the opposite. Found 4S to be a great bashing for the Kraton 6S EXB. Not many go this way, but the 1650kv motor was a beast on 6S and has lots of power. Keeping that same engine at 20T pinion on 4S is very aggressive but has great control... she still bashes with other 6S rigs, and I am still in the dogfight with the pack. On better days where driving skills are on point, I'm in front of the pack.

Feel ya on the 4S!

I forgot about the Typhon....good post (y)

I've done the opposite. Found 4S to be a great bashing for the Kraton 6S EXB. Not many go this way, but the 1650kv motor was a beast on 6S and has lots of power. Keeping that same engine at 20T pinion on 4S is very aggressive but has great control... she still bashes with other 6S rigs, and I am still in the dogfight with the pack. On better days where driving skills are on point, I'm in front of the pack.

Feel ya on the 4S!
I agree with you on that! Most of the time when I run my Kraton and noto I’m mostly using a 6200 MAH, 4s Lipo. they are great like that for me. But the size of the things and the weight… aside from running at the neighborhood private park mostly I am still having enough nerve and pain issues that I prefer the lighter cars. I got to be careful still. Main thing though is I love the two cars that I’ve built so much. They are like my perfect idea of a RC car for driving style. Eventually, I will get a tekno MT410. Until then I’m enjoying these two things.

3D8192C2-D223-429C-A109-5AB60C157186.jpeg

FC5ABDAF-621D-4B84-8E42-EEA8C1744ADF.jpeg

Man, awesome input from all of y’all!! I truly appreciate it! I think I’m just going to be happy with the 6s for now and enjoy it. I’ll buy another truck at some point, but who knows when!😉

I just got a Sledge, which is the same size as the Kraton 6S. My last RC vehicles were a long time ago, and quite a bit smaller. This one strikes me a big, heavy, and fast. Lots of fun, though!

I do find that it's tough to get it fully up-to-speed in the areas I've gotten to try to far. I've wondered about changing to a smaller pinion gear on the motor. You'd get more torque, more acceleration, and a lower top speed. It would also go easier on the motor, battery, and ESC. I've also seen people talk about reducing their throttle throw to 75%, etc. I suppose you could also run the 6S on 4S, but that's buying new batteries.

I realize that none of this changes the size of the truck, of course. Just thinking about low-cost options to maybe make it a bit easier to really get to use it, in a smaller space.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back