Raider Thoughts on the xl blx

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_RC_Corpses

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
  2. Senton 6s
Howdy folks. I'd like some owners thoughts on the raider xl blx. I want a 2wd buggy and I think the raider is it. So what's your guys experiences with durability, upgradeability and what not. Power systems, radio, and servo aren't a big area of concern for me as I won't use the tactic, power systems always get changed out eventually (plus I have a few that'd be at home on the raider), and I keep good servos on hand.

I'm really enjoying mine now. There are a few upgrades and stuff I did to get it to be pretty durable though. Here's some things I think is a priority for upgrades.

1. Shocks. Tops pop off. I got traxxas 5862
2. Rear ball stub strips out. I got HR aluminum hubs and rpm 4-40 rod ends. Or you could do the hollow ends with a nut and bolt
3. I adjusted my slipper and lowered the punch setting to 1. I like it much better and my drive train has held up.
4. Input gear metal. I stripped where the pin goes in. Replaced with metal one but also I think my slipper wasn't adjusted correctly along with the punch setting was high.
5. Nylon locknuts for the wheels. I tightened the front too tight and messed up the bearings.
6. Tbone front bumper. My son broke the front arm the first day. Not Arrma's fault, ran straight into the leg of a metal bench. The bumper is awesome. I ordered a rear one too yesterday.
7. Dogbones. Just make sure they come with the 83mm (pin to pin) mine came with the 80's for some reason. Been fine since I got the 83's

My electronics have held up fine. I bought a set of Vorteks wheels and tires and love it. The offset is wider and I think I paid like $18 front and rear from amazon. I did order some 1/8 buggy tires and the 12 to 17mm adaptors.

I really enjoy it now with the upgrades. You will spend a little more on upgrades but for arrma to sell at that price point somethings gotta give.

I'm really enjoying mine now. There are a few upgrades and stuff I did to get it to be pretty durable though. Here's some things I think is a priority for upgrades.

1. Shocks. Tops pop off. I got traxxas 5862
2. Rear ball stub strips out. I got HR aluminum hubs and rpm 4-40 rod ends. Or you could do the hollow ends with a nut and bolt
3. I adjusted my slipper and lowered the punch setting to 1. I like it much better and my drive train has held up.
4. Input gear metal. I stripped where the pin goes in. Replaced with metal one but also I think my slipper wasn't adjusted correctly along with the punch setting was high.
5. Nylon locknuts for the wheels. I tightened the front too tight and messed up the bearings.
6. Tbone front bumper. My son broke the front arm the first day. Not Arrma's fault, ran straight into the leg of a metal bench. The bumper is awesome. I ordered a rear one too yesterday.
7. Dogbones. Just make sure they come with the 83mm (pin to pin) mine came with the 80's for some reason. Been fine since I got the 83's

My electronics have held up fine. I bought a set of Vorteks wheels and tires and love it. The offset is wider and I think I paid like $18 front and rear from amazon. I did order some 1/8 buggy tires and the 12 to 17mm adaptors.

I really enjoy it now with the upgrades. You will spend a little more on upgrades but for arrma to sell at that price point somethings gotta give.
Thank you that was very informative.

Agree with almost everything Slyhall said. My exception would be the dogbones. Mine came with ones that were 83mm pin to pin, and were eating up the drive cups at the wheels. Switched to some 90mm overall length ones from Redcat Racing.

I would add new turnbuckles to the list. I broke both rear stock mones pretty easily. I had a pair of steel ones from an old RC10 that fixed the problem. I also added 10k fluid to the diff. It helped alot to keep it straight during take off.

Agree with almost everything Slyhall said. My exception would be the dogbones. Mine came with ones that were 83mm pin to pin, and were eating up the drive cups at the wheels. Switched to some 90mm overall length ones from Redcat Racing.

I would add new turnbuckles to the list. I broke both rear stock mones pretty easily. I had a pair of steel ones from an old RC10 that fixed the problem. I also added 10k fluid to the diff. It helped alot to keep it straight during take off.
Thanks for the info. Something redcat really make this rig better? I've never had any luck with anything redcat especially their drivetrain parts, but the dogbone thing makes sense a lot of 2wd buggies I encounter don't have long enough drive axles. My daughters acme flash is like that.

The Redcar dogbones have worked great so far. I forgot to Mr tion I added some weight up front, about 5ozs. I adapted an old rpm front bumper off an old rustler, and put the wight on top of the bumper, where there was some room. Made it alit more predictable in its handling.

I love my Raider XL BLX I have put a lot of time driving and bashing this buggy.
Recommend some upgrades:
* Tires are terrible I upgraded rears to the Proline Badlands, Huge difference.
* T-Bone Racing front and rear Bumpers, Front is a must have. I did the rear one just to protect cassis on big jumps.
* Shock will help but not necessary, I used ECX3808 Front ECX1096 Rear.
* Keep an extra set of Dog Bones and rear Camber links if your gonna do big jumps, I have broken 5 camber links landing hard on raer corner.
I use my Raider almost every time on my Track.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back