Kraton Thoughts On This Battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkyd31

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
92186-6S2P-228x228.jpg
Hi Guys, Just dropped some hefty cash on this SMC 6s Li-Po. It's there single hard case 9200 mah / 90 c for our kratons. LHS said stay away from SMC as they have puffing issues. Well as you can see I didn't listen to him as I've read nothing but good things about them LOL.. Looking for a nice charger to get with it and need some help picking one out. Have a budget of 150-175.00 max. Thanks for everyone's help and always rubber side down !

Last edited:
That thing is going to run forever. Watch your temperatures, because you could be upwards of a half hour run time with that thing. I bet I could get an hour out of in the skate park.

All I have ever heard about SMC has been good. I do think that battery is too heavy for big air, but I don't have one, so what do I know.

I have a HW heat sink/fan combo on the way to hopefully keep things in check. I also have a laser temp gun to check the motor as well. It it's a beast of a battery for sure. I'm not looking for stupid huge air as I'll just be running at my local parks, high schools and construction sites.

Puffing issues are usually user error issues. Some batteries are more likely to puff when they are treated wrong though. Make sure not to leave them fully charged for more than a day or so, and set your lvc no lower than 3.5v. I've not had a single lipo puff since following those 2 rules a few years back...

Tom Himes from spc gave me that advice years ago after he replaced 2 puffed packs packs for me.

Thanks rag6, Some key points that I won't forget now. My charger will have a storage mode on it or I won't be buying it. This 6s battery I just bought wasn't cheap so I need to pay close attention what's going on. Thanks again

Another thing... I had a turnigy charger many years ago that went bad. It started overcharging cell 2 on all my packs and puffing batteries, but it was reading the pack as balanced at resting voltage... I found the issue by putting a volt meter to the individual cells to check voltage at storage(3.8v) right off the charger... cell 2 was at 4.0v and all others were reading 3.8 with the volt meter on all packs. Put it back on charger and was reading 3.80v on all cells. The charger was trying to charge cell 2 to 4.4v!!! I was lucky I did not have a fire, and lost 5 packs.

I dumped that charger, and picked up a nice 20a hyperion charger. First cycle was to storage mode, then checked with the voltmeter and had identical readings down to the 100th of a volt. I now check it every couple of months it it's always right on. I would suggest this test for any new charger on the first cycle. Especially the cheaper overseas chargers It could save you money on ruined packs or even your house and family. I have no idea how long that charger was trying to set me on fire....

Sparkyd31, here is the link you asked for. Its the same hyperion charger I've used for about 3 or 4 years now. This was recommended to me by Tom at SPC for a track charger... I get almost 10a off of ac on 2s packs (check your packs charge "c" rating before doing high amp charges), and have pulled the full 20 amps off of my car battery on 2s 6500 packs that had a 3c charge rating...

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hyperi...MI4bHT2Nru1QIVhoF-Ch0rWA4qEAQYBSABEgKPkfD_BwE
hp-eos720iad.jpg

Wow just found this.... this is almost 90 bucks off of a mains price... killer deal here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/131612...7290-0%26rvr_id%3D1291831014559&ul_noapp=true

Last edited:
Will this handle my 6s 9200mah li-po ? How long would it take to charge as I've been looking at icharger 306b charger with a 500 or 1000 watt power supply LOL.

As long as your battery is rated for a 2c charge rate, the second link should charge it in about 35min

Not sure on my charger.... it's only 150w, so it may take over an hour to 2 hours... I've not charged 6s so not sure how many amps it can push on that monster pack. I know it charges at a lower rate as the cell count goes up. Switching from 2s to 3s the charge rate came down on ac...

LOL BINGO.......... She is a monster pack. I guess I didn't think things threw very well before dropping stupid money on this 6s bad boy LOL. Finding a charger that will charge it in less the 1 hr means big watts my man UGH. Dumb rookie mistake on my part as I should have just bought a 4s high mah battery.Live in learn I guess. I do have some marine batteries laying around the garage as I just might use for DC power and just buy the icharger 306B UGH.This hobby should not be this hard. Picking after market parts and a car was easy as pie !!!!

Nice packs for sure Dasha. I decided just to go with one big fat girl in my rig. I know guys like running 2 packs as if one pack takes a dump it's a hole lot cheaper buying 1 pack then 1 fat girl LMAO.I have not even ran my kraton V2 yet as it's new and I'm playing the upgrade game already like teckno orange spring, rpm front bumper and skid plate and a chassis protector from rc decals to start. The guy I bought it from never even ran it and bought GKA chassis braces and a servo mount that I need to install.(just the servo mount left) I'm reading up on the game about shimming the diffs now ugh... I talked with a few member and they said just do it over the winter months as it's coming fast here in upstate ny. Thanks for the pics.Rubber side down,,, Dave

For what it's worth, I have this pack for my Kraton. I average 30-40 minute run times depending on how hard I drive. It's definitely a great pack for this truck.

If you want an awesome charger to match it, check out this charger which SMC also sells: http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=141&product_id=456

It's an easy-to-use and powerful charger. I charge this battery with this charger, and it usually only takes about 40 minutes to charge fully.

MightyAtom.......... Thanks for the input on chargers. I bought the mack daddy icharger 306b and a DC 600 watt power amp. Now all my charging needs for a very long time are met !!!

I promise venom 5000 mah 100c is prefect for the nero with diff brains I I tried it in my non diff nero and it was ok but with the diff brain with all diffs Locked was awesome I hit 107 mph and that's not with my src street tires that was stock tires with gorilla tape inside and 23 tooth pinion it's really too fast I can't keep my eyes on it facts of life

Just bought my 1st Kraton 6s Coming from my Xo1.

From my local Hobby shop

My question is.
Battery wise the moment it starts getting good my battery goes dead lol about 10 -15 mins into it
My shop said charge it at

3.7volts
5400 mah
2.5amp (I believe)
11.1 volts

Question how long do i charge it to full battery on charger x am i doing the right instruction.
Also these batteries cost me $160 to last less than 15min. Is there any batteries there that will last longer.
Im not looking for big jumps as i just want to get maximum play time with my little man.
Also looking to purchase a few more batteries but undecided which last longer

If my charging setting is wrong also please lmk. Thanks.

Ill b looking for upgrafes also preventative items and durability wise. Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Here is what I have right now battery and Charger
Duratrax Onyx LiPo 3S 11.1V 5400mAh 50C Soft Case XT90

Venom Pro Quad 100W X4 AC/DC Charger

Attachments

• IMG_2945.JPG
    IMG_2945.JPG
    271.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2952.JPG
    IMG_2952.JPG
    293.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Just bought my 1st Kraton 6s Coming from my Xo1.

From my local Hobby shop

My question is.
Battery wise the moment it starts getting good my battery goes dead lol about 10 -15 mins into it
My shop said charge it at

3.7volts
5400 mah
2.5amp (I believe)
11.1 volts

Question how long do i charge it to full battery on charger x am i doing the right instruction.
Also these batteries cost me $160 to last less than 15min. Is there any batteries there that will last longer.
Im not looking for big jumps as i just want to get maximum play time with my little man.
Also looking to purchase a few more batteries but undecided which last longer

If my charging setting is wrong also please lmk. Thanks.

Ill b looking for upgrafes also preventative items and durability wise. Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Here is what I have right now battery and Charger
Duratrax Onyx LiPo 3S 11.1V 5400mAh 50C Soft Case XT90

Venom Pro Quad 100W X4 AC/DC Charger

The charger settings he gave you sound like STORAGE charge, not running charge. For a fully charged battery, it should be at 4.2vps, so 12.6 for a 3s pack. Charge amperage is normally '1c' or one times capacity. Your batteries (capacity) are 5400mah = 5.4ah, so charge them at 5.4a, if the charger will let you.

Storage charge - when you are done running, and don't plan on running for a few days, charge your batteries to 3.7-3.8vps. This will keep them healthy, longer, vs storing them at LVC (3.2-3.5vps) or fully charged (4.2vps).

Last - running your RC off storage charge is not an issue - but as you noted, run times are fairly short.

The charger settings he gave you sound like STORAGE charge, not running charge. For a fully charged battery, it should be at 4.2vps, so 12.6 for a 3s pack. Charge amperage is normally '1c' or one times capacity. Your batteries (capacity) are 5400mah = 5.4ah, so charge them at 5.4a, if the charger will let you.

Storage charge - when you are done running, and don't plan on running for a few days, charge your batteries to 3.7-3.8vps. This will keep them healthy, longer, vs storing them at LVC (3.2-3.5vps) or fully charged (4.2vps).

Last - running your RC off storage charge is not an issue - but as you noted, run times are fairly short.

Got it.
Ill change the settinggs later then to what you said.

As far as batteries any suggestions besides what i have ? Im looking for longer play time not jumping high but if foubd any obstacles, won't hesitate to pass through. Lol

This ismyCharger

Charge up to four packs simultaneously.
Four charge ports and multi-chemistry capability make the Pro Quad a terrific choice for today's hobbyists. In addition to charging 1-15 cell NiCds/NiMHs, 1-6 cell lithium packs and 2-20V lead-acid batteries, the Pro Quad offers a five-button interface with backlit LCD, two USB charge ports, balance leads and charge leads compatible with the most popular options.
  • Four separate charging circuits with four dedicated power supplies.
  • Charges 1-15 cell NiCds/NiMHs, 1-6 cell lithium packs and 2-20V lead-acid batteries.
  • Two 2.3A USB charging ports on the back of the charger.
  • Five-button control interface with backlit LCD screen for easy menu navigation.
  • Extra-long balance leads for safe charging in a LiPo sack.
  • One each of alligator, EC3, EC5, JST, receiver, Tamiya and HXT 4 mm charge leads.
  • Two each of Deans® and XT60 charge leads.
  • 1-year limited warranty through Venom beginning at the date of purchase.
Notes from our tech department:
This is the Venom Pro Quad 100W X4 AC/DC Powered Battery Charger.

FEATURES
Charges 1-6 cell LiPo, LiFe Li-Ion
1-15 cell NiMH NiCd
2-20V lead acid batteries
Two 2.3A USB charging ports on rear of charger
Four separate charging circuits with four dedicated power supplies
multiple chemistry charging
Five button control interface with backlit LCD screen for easy menu
navigation
Extra long balance leads for safe charging in a LiPo sack
One year limited warranty through Venom beginning at date of purchase

INCLUDES
Venom Pro Quad 100W X4 AC/DC Battery Charger
One each, Alligator, EC3, EC5, JST, Receiver, Tamiya, and HXT 4mm
Charge Leads
two Deans, and two XT60, Charge Leads
Balance Leads

SPECIFICATIONS
Charge Current:
Four 0.1 - 7.0A
Discharge Rate: 0.1 - 1.0A
Circuit Power: Four 100W
Current Drain for Balancing LiPo: 300mAh per cell, 1-15 cells
USB Output: Two 5V 2.3A USB 2.0
Input: DC 11.0V-18.0V - AC 100V-240V
Display Type: LCD
Length: 7" (178mm)
Height: 9.25" (235mm)
Width: 4.25" (108mm)

jxs 06/27/16
ir/jxs

Attachments

• IMG_2989.PNG
    IMG_2989.PNG
    529.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2990.PNG
    IMG_2990.PNG
    483.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Charger seems nice. 100w per channel should be enough to charge most 2s-4s packs at 1c.

As for batteries, I tend to buy mostly 5000mah-6000mah packs, 2s and 4s. Run time is good, and I carry more than one pack if I plan on bashing a while. When I go to the track, I take my charger and have one charging at 2c while I run my other pack (make sure your battery is good for 2c, some aren't) Often I only have a few minutes down time between runs.

I know some people prefer the larger 7000-9000mah packs, but they tend to be huge and heavy. The old racer in me prefers the lighter packs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back