Limitless Threadlock everything!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobalt172

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
HOLY COW I finally got my limitless to a tarmack airstrip (ideal right!?) and was finally able to hit 90mph or so. after 4 speed runs, all the screws involved with the motor mount, pinion, spool came loose. I have never seen so many screws come loose at one time but I guess it makes sense with that much power and going THAT fast!!!!!

I had my 16T Robinson pinion come loose in my Typhon 6S in two consecutive runs. As a result, the motor plate got chewed up pretty bad unfortunately. I've cleaned out the blue threadlock as best as I could and am now using red threadlock. My rig is only geared for around 55mph on road; can't even imagine 90mph with several loose screws!

Wow red threadlock is ballsy, do you have problems undoing those?
Red thread lock is a bit of a pain for sure, but I don’t really have a choice with the pinion coming loose. I use a mini butane torch - usually 20-30 seconds pointing the flame straight at the screw does the trick.

75E7EF2D-DDE5-46FC-A4D8-5A2E10DB38F8.jpeg

Red thread lock is a bit of a pain for sure, but I don’t really have a choice with the pinion coming loose. I use a mini butane torch - usually 20-30 seconds pointing the flame straight at the screw does the trick.

View attachment 106285
One downside of that much heat is it makes the metal on the hex head more malleable and straps easier

I can relate to OP. Somtimes RED threadlocker is the only answer!

My limitless 6s motor came loose during its first run and damaged the aluminum mount. I have been building and flying RC planes since 2006, and RC cars since 2016. The setup was put together correctly.
I used blue threadlocker and it still came undone, twice. I tore the motor mount apart, rinsed with rubbing alcohol, and used red threadlocker. It hasn't come undone since, but the next time I have to take it apart it's going to be a pain in the ass!

I know there hasn't been a reply in this thread for over a year...but, as a new member to this forum, I thought I'd add my 4-cents-worth. When 'blue' isn't strong enough, and 'red' is overkill, there IS another answer. While Loctite doesn't have anything between these two, Permatex DOES. The answer is 'orange'. It has the general "holding strength" of 'red', but does NOT require heat to release...it can be released by hand tools. Yes, the torque required to release is considerably greater than 'blue', but nowhere near as high as 'red'.

With almost everything RC, 'blue' is your "BFF". For metal-into-metal where you are 110% version you'll NEVER need to disassemble, 'red' is what you probably want. For anything that needs the strength of 'red', but requires occasional disassembly (such as grub screws holding spur/pinion gears, out drives, etc), 'orange' should be your "second best friend".

Never used lock tight on anything and I've never ran into anything coming loose.then again I only do speed runs.maybey that's why.and I snug everything before I hit the road

Never used lock tight on anything and I've never ran into anything coming loose.then again I only do speed runs.maybey that's why.and I snug everything before I hit the road
"Snugging everything" doesn't always work...even in slower vehicles. I've seen an X-MAXX lose wheels on one side, just because the person forgot to use blue threadlock. I'm not going to argue about any "need" to use threadlock...but, there's (obviously) a reason why almost every manual for every RC kit tells perked to use threadlock. Without threadlock, metal-to-metal WILL loosen. And, if you're not using threadlock...you're just "tightening things down"...the amount of torque being applied WILL, sooner or later, weaken those screws (yes, I've seen this happen).

"Snugging everything" doesn't always work...even in slower vehicles. I've seen an X-MAXX lose wheels on one side, just because the person forgot to use blue threadlock. I'm not going to argue about any "need" to use threadlock...but, there's (obviously) a reason why almost every manual for every RC kit tells perked to use threadlock. Without threadlock, metal-to-metal WILL loosen. And, if you're not using threadlock...you're just "tightening things down"...the amount of torque being applied WILL, sooner or later, weaken those screws (yes, I've seen this happen).
Agree but as for my experience I haven't ran into any issues YET lol been speed running for years.never had a issue . locktite doesn't go well for me because I'm constantly changing parts.i suppose it's ok if your planning on keeping that particular screw in place for a while.thats not my case..and everything that has locktite I ended up heating and fkin it all up because maybey it was on there for a while or they used to much .back in the hobby shop my friend owns he doesn't use any either.. actually almost every one that ik there that speed runs prefers not to use it again we change parts alot.and snugging down screws before a run doesn't ruin anything.its a prevention if anything..now if your jumping off ramps and landing from 50 ft or higher well then I say go ahead and use that locktite.any ways each to there own .but for me keep that poop away.😆👍

Agree but as for my experience I haven't ran into any issues YET lol been speed running for years.never had a issue . locktite doesn't go well for me because I'm constantly changing parts.i suppose it's ok if your planning on keeping that particular screw in place for a while.thats not my case..and everything that has locktite I ended up heating and fkin it all up because maybey it was on there for a while or they used to much .back in the hobby shop my friend owns he doesn't use any either.. actually almost every one that ik there that speed runs prefers not to use it again we change parts alot.and snugging down screws before a run doesn't ruin anything.its a prevention if anything..now if your jumping off ramps and landing from 50 ft or higher well then I say go ahead and use that locktite.any ways each to there own .but for me keep that poop away.😆👍
"that poop"...lol 🤙🏼

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back