Granite Throttle not responding, bad esc?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxforwardspeed

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Bought two of these Granite Voltage RCs for my kids a few months ago. Now one is behaving very strangely. When powered on, the steering servo immediately activates the wheels hard right, yet the steering commands still work...kind of. There is a delay in the response, and the wheels don't turn full left anymore, even when the trim is adjusted to the max. Also, the truck only makes a faint high pitch squeal when the throttle is in forward. No response at all in reverse. I know for sure the squeal is not a stripped gear or anything because there is no mechanical movement at all. It's an electronic noise, I think coming from the motor? New to the RC world, so I appreciate any helpful tips on troubleshooting this one. Thanks.

Bought two of these Granite Voltage RCs for my kids a few months ago. Now one is behaving very strangely. When powered on, the steering servo immediately activates the wheels hard right, yet the steering commands still work...kind of. There is a delay in the response, and the wheels don't turn full left anymore, even when the trim is adjusted to the max. Also, the truck only makes a faint high pitch squeal when the throttle is in forward. No response at all in reverse. I know for sure the squeal is not a stripped gear or anything because there is no mechanical movement at all. It's an electronic noise, I think coming from the motor? New to the RC world, so I appreciate any helpful tips on troubleshooting this one. Thanks.
i would go to wherever you bought them from and get a new esc or motor or something from warranty (y)

If it’s causing both the servo and the motor to act up, sounds like probably the esc. If it got wet, even though “waterproof”, can definitely make it act up. My last rc I got the random steering jerking when mine did

If it’s causing both the servo and the motor to act up, sounds like probably the esc. If it got wet, even though “waterproof”, can definitely make it act up. My last rc I got the random steering jerking when mine did
It did get wet a couple of days ago. It looks dry now though. Is it fried?
i would go to wherever you bought them from and get a new esc or motor or something from warranty (y)
Amazon, unfortunately, and they aren't much help out of the return period. I guess I'd have to go to Arrma directly.

Last edited:
Mine stopped doing it after I dried it overnight and replugged everything in. Hopefully it works for you! I know Amazon isn’t always the easiest to deal with, but arrma is awesome and usually takes care of us all with no issues

I’ve had similar issues. These things are far from waterproof. Avoid arrma direct support as it sucks. Go straight to horizon hobby chat or email support. HH owns arrma and will facilitate warranty replacements regardless of where you purchased.

I think the ESCs are back ordered so it might be a while. Or you could spend $50 to buy aftermarket ESC (quicrun 1060), servo (DS3218), and receiver. MT-305 receiver works with the stock transmitter.

Thanks, I called Horizon Hobby and talked to someone who took the warranty information down and said they'd process a replacement ESC. I hope that's all it is. The faint high-pitch noise I'm hearing when pressing the throttle is coming from the motor. Maybe the ESC isn't sending enough power to the motor to engage properly?

Thanks, I called Horizon Hobby and talked to someone who took the warranty information down and said they'd process a replacement ESC. I hope that's all it is. The faint high-pitch noise I'm hearing when pressing the throttle is coming from the motor. Maybe the ESC isn't sending enough power to the motor to engage properly?
Have you checked the out drive cups? Look it up. Common problem with these trucks. Perhaps your motor is spinning properly but the power isn’t getting to the wheels.

I’ve had similar issues. These things are far from waterproof. Avoid arrma direct support as it sucks. Go straight to horizon hobby chat or email support. HH owns arrma and will facilitate warranty replacements regardless of where you purchased.

I think the ESCs are back ordered so it might be a while. Or you could spend $50 to buy aftermarket ESC (quicrun 1060), servo (DS3218), and receiver. MT-305 receiver works with the stock transmitter.
It did go through a puddle before this happened. Actually the thought of aftermarket doesn't sound that bad. My only concern is what if it's the motor that's bad, not just the ESC? I wonder if there's a way to test it first.

It did go through a puddle before this happened. Actually the thought of aftermarket doesn't sound that bad. My only concern is what if it's the motor that's bad, not just the ESC? I wonder if there's a way to test it first.
The stock ESC sucks. I’d bet $20 that’s what it is.

The stock ESC sucks. I’d bet $20 that’s what it is.
I'll probably just go 3rd party then. It's not the drive cups, there is no mechanical movement at all in the motor. Just the faintest high-pitch squeal. Thanks for the info!

Don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I just checked the ESC motor output with my multi-meter and it's only sending 140 mV at full throttle. So yeah, it's dead.

I'll probably just go 3rd party then. It's not the drive cups, there is no mechanical movement at all in the motor. Just the faintest high-pitch squeal. Thanks for the info!
Sounds like the bearings issue. Also, check the spur gear, differential, and idler gear for wear.

Yup the ESC is back ordered. I'm going to go with your suggestion on the after market components. I'm having a hard time finding the mt-305, or at least one that will arrive in the next month. Do you know where to look, or is there way to see what would be compatible alternatives that work with the quicrun esc?

Yup the ESC is back ordered. I'm going to go with your suggestion on the after market components. I'm having a hard time finding the mt-305, or at least one that will arrive in the next month. Do you know where to look, or is there way to see what would be compatible alternatives that work with the quicrun esc?
You could always upgrade to the 3S transmitter/receiver. Still pretty cheap.

https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...et-system-tactic-ttx300-tr326-kraton-ar102696

@maxforwardspeed,
The Voltage Electrics suck. It is price pointed for children and a short demise. (the Equivalent to a ToysRus toy RC) Run it in water and all gets bricked real fast. You got your moneys worth for what you paid for. A Short lived rig as it was designed to be. Parts not available. (no support) Get the picture? Toss it. It gave you a taste of RC, so now get a real one. That's why Arrma makes the Cheap Voltage line. You cant enjoy this hobby on the cheap all the time. 🤷‍♂️ It actually costs you more frustration and $$ down the road compared to what you paid for that Voltage in the first place. You are not alone. Many AF members been through this. 🤷‍♂️ Electrics are known garbage. On borrowed time. HH can't even keep them in stock. The Voltage is a low priority for them IMHO.

Just buy a 3s 4x4 rig. Yes sounds like Probably a tall order, just that the Voltage stock ESC and all is garbage and upgrade stuff gets expensive. Think about how much you paid for the Voltage compared to what you are considering $investing$ into it now. Cut your losses now and don't look back.
Just me.

Last edited:
@maxforwardspeed,
The Voltage Electrics suck. It is price pointed for children and a short demise. (the Equivalent to a ToysRus toy RC) Run it in water and all gets bricked real fast. You got your moneys worth for what you paid for. A Short lived rig as it was designed to be. Parts not available. (no support) Get the picture? Toss it. It gave you a taste of RC, so now get a real one. That's why Arrma makes the Cheap Voltage line. You cant enjoy this hobby on the cheap all the time. 🤷‍♂️ It actually costs you more frustration and $$ down the road compared to what you paid for that Voltage in the first place. You are not alone. Many AF members been through this. 🤷‍♂️ Electrics are known garbage. On borrowed time. HH can't even keep them in stock. The Voltage is a low priority for them IMHO.

Just buy a 3s 4x4 rig. Yes sounds like Probably a tall order, just that the Voltage stock ESC and all is garbage and upgrade stuff gets expensive. Think about how much you paid for the Voltage compared to what you are considering $investing$ into it now. Cut your losses now and don't look back.
Just me.
While I agree with all your points, I will say the voltage is an absolute blast to drive once upgraded. There’s something special about tossing around a 4lb monster truck.

While I agree with all your points, I will say the voltage is an absolute blast to drive once upgraded. There’s something special about tossing around a 4lb monster truck.
What components would you consider "upgraded" on this truck? The 3s receiver / transmitter combo you mentioned and what else? The quicrun esc? Just trying to see what I'd be in for after adding it all up. Thanks!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back