Granite Throttle not responding, bad esc?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What components would you consider "upgraded" on this truck? The 3s receiver / transmitter combo you mentioned and what else? The quicrun esc? Just trying to see what I'd be in for after adding it all up. Thanks!
I’ll share what I’ve done. I’m done upgrading it at this point since I doubt it can reliably take more power.
  • Quicrun 1060 ESC (I only use 2S) ($20)
  • DS3218 servo ($15)
  • MT-305 receiver (compatible with stock transmitter) ($10)
  • 550 12T motor ($20)
  • 40mm fan mounted above motor hole ($10)
  • 19 tooth pinion ($5)
  • Metal out drive cups ($30 ouch)
  • 30wt front and 40wt rear shock oil (reduces all the bouncing) ($10)
It is probably a 25-30mph truck now, which is plenty for basic bashing since it is so light. It’s not going to do a 20-foot jump or backflips, but that’s okay with me. It’s surprisingly resilient.

Don’t upgrade the tires. The stock tires/wheels are lightweight and have a decent balance of grip and slip. I upgraded to heavier, grippier tires and started destroying drivetrain components, so I went back to stock and all is good.

I’ll share what I’ve done. I’m done upgrading it at this point since I doubt it can reliably take more power.
  • DS3218 servo ($15)
  • 550 12T motor ($20)
  • 19 tooth pinion ($5)
It is probably a 25-30mph truck now, which is plenty for basic bashing since it is so light. It’s not going to do a 20-foot jump or backflips, but that’s okay with me. It’s surprisingly resilient.

Don’t upgrade the tires. The stock tires/wheels are lightweight and have a decent balance of grip and slip. I upgraded to heavier, grippier tires and started destroying drivetrain components, so I went back to stock and all is good.
Great thanks for the info. I think I'll do the esc and servo for now, but just wish I could find the mt-305 receiver somewhere (that would get to me in a reasonable amount of time). I don't see ever going to the 3s in this so upgrading the transmitter as well would be pointless in my case. That's what I'm stuck on at this point. Where'd you find the receiver?

Great thanks for the info. I think I'll do the esc and servo for now, but just wish I could find the mt-305 receiver somewhere (that would get to me in a reasonable amount of time). I don't see ever going to the 3s in this so upgrading the transmitter as well would be pointless in my case. That's what I'm stuck on at this point. Where'd you find the receiver?
Did you change out the servo head (or servo saver, whatever the correct terminology is) that's plastic and attaches to the servo? I'm trying to see how I can take advantage of the metal one included in the kit but I don't see how it will fit. It looks like I'll need to use the original plastic piece instead?

Did you change out the servo head (or servo saver, whatever the correct terminology is) that's plastic and attaches to the servo? I'm trying to see how I can take advantage of the metal one included in the kit but I don't see how it will fit. It looks like I'll need to use the original plastic piece instead?
I only swapped the servo itself. I didn’t use any other hardware that came with it. The new servo is plugged directly into the red stock servo saver. Seems to work well.

Be sure to reset steering endpoints so your new servo doesn’t try to turn the wheels too far.

• DS3218 servo ($15)
  • 550 12T motor ($20)
  • 19 tooth pinion ($5)

Thanks for sharing all of this on your voltage. My wife and I have two of these and love them. How did you mount a fan over the motor? I can’t see how there’s enough room . Ill try those oil Weights in the shocks.
And I appreciate the advice on the wheels/tires. I was wondering about that weight issue. They are so light.
Many thanks!

Thanks for sharing all of this on your voltage. My wife and I have two of these and love them. How did you mount a fan over the motor? I can’t see how there’s enough room . Ill try those oil Weights in the shocks.
And I appreciate the advice on the wheels/tires. I was wondering about that weight issue. They are so light.
Many thanks!
I created and 3D-printed a combo ESC/fan mount. However, I’ve seen others wedge it in there with just some gorilla tape.

D0D8A8FB-6BC2-4F2F-88CD-9A69C1C87D89.jpeg

I created and 3D-printed a combo ESC/fan mount. However, I’ve seen others wedge it in there with just some gorilla tape.

View attachment 140420
Very nice! Thank you for sharing. All the folks on here that have three d printers make me really wanna check them out

I only swapped the servo itself. I didn’t use any other hardware that came with it. The new servo is plugged directly into the red stock servo saver. Seems to work well.

Be sure to reset steering endpoints so your new servo doesn’t try to turn the wheels too far.
Esc, servo, and 3S receiver/transmitter working great! Thanks for the help! Glad I didn't give up on this truck. Some kind of battery upgrade is next, thanks again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back