Typhon Tie Straps on Tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charger

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Advice needed on using tie straps on tires to keep them from ballooning and coming apart on a Typhon.

Advice needed on using tie straps on tires to keep them from ballooning and coming apart on a Typhon.
Wrap the tires using Kevlar kite string or braided fishing line.

It looks like it would be easier to boil them off, tape them, and reglue them.

I don't understand the boiling part...
The tire glue gets brittle and the tires can be pulled off the rims by heating them. If you want to reuse the tires I prefer to boil them to get them hot enough to come apart. You can heat them in an oven, toaster oven, on a BBQ grill or even over a 100 watt light bulb but these methods are pretty easy to overheat the tire and damage it. Boiling it is the best way I have found get them off Without damage. You then scrape off the left over glue.

It looks like it would be easier to boil them off, tape them, and reglue them.
I agree I'm not a fan of strapping the outside, what I don't like about strapping is it doesn't do an even job like taping the inside. To be honest if properly taped on the inside its as good as belted. Back in the day If you wanted aftermarket wheels you had to glue your own tires, and if your gluing your own may as well strap them with duct tape. So all ours back then were like the belted today. Just cheaper lol.

Back