Granite Time For Shocks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've changed my orings to the traxxas orings on both my granite 3s and typhon 3s, and haven't leaked since. I only replaced the bottom oring with the traxxas and left the stock oring up top. If you can fix the leaks, there is no need to buy new shock in my option. The stock shocks are great, they seem to take a lot of abuse and are dialed in really well.

We rebuilt a front shock and it was cheap and easy. The body and spring was okay otherwise it would have been cheaper to get pre assembled, but those were not in stock anyway. Getting the rebuild kit and shaft/eyelet things as well as grease and oil means we have parts for later and learned how to rebuild.
We rebuilt a front shock and it was cheap and easy. The body and spring was okay otherwise it would have been cheaper to get pre assembled, but those were not in stock anyway. Getting the rebuild kit and shaft/eyelet things as well as grease and oil means we have parts for later and learned how to rebuild.
Just getting aluminum shock bodies would have been 40 percent over the cost of rebuilding the stock ones.

Just getting aluminum shock bodies would have been 40 percent over the cost of rebuilding the stock ones.
Holy sheet. Never mind. That seems awful cheap for a full set of shocks aluminum.

I'd have done that maybe. Looks like a sweet deal.

Holy sheet. Never mind. That seems awful cheap for a full set of shocks aluminum.

I'd have done that maybe. Looks like a sweet deal.
We used 42.5 wt in our rebuild of just over 500 (?) And ended up using extra spacers to preload the springs. Seems good.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone,

Two of the shocks on my Granite are leaking big time. I'm going to replace them with these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BIG-BORE-ALUMINUM-Shock-For-Arrma-1-10-Granite-4x4-3S/283836824767

Is that a good option? And if so, what weight of oil do you place in the front and rears?

I have them installed and they are solid...there is another user here I chatted with using them and they work fine. No leaks or any issues. Now I am not a jumper...meaning not 12-15+ feet in air just small stuff and rough terrain and I'm good.

I did change my springs to the Granite BLX on the Big Bore. Not that anything was wrong with the Big Bore but for my needs, it was where I wanted the preloads set...Big Bore was fine I just needed more than what I would need with the OEM springs which I could back off some. Personal not that others may want my preload setting.

I used 60wt oil since I live in the hot south feel-like temp is 102dep with actual temp 93 so I can get away with the 60wt. You will be fine with 40wt or 42.5 which I had in my Granite OEM shocks...your choice for your style.

I actually have the Typhon shocks well front only...had to do the Outcast fronts for my rear all I could find. I did change the springs on the rear to be closer to Granite OEM spring tension on the Outcast. I ran 42.5w at first but due to heat, I went up to 60wt. In winter I can go back to 40ish for those or Big Bore.

I only took the Typhon off since I like the look of the polish when I added the red body. It was just too much red with the shocks, turnbuckles, etc.... No leaks on Big Bore...I would recommend it.

I did fix the leaking in my Granite OEM shocks from a YT poster. I went with Tamiya red o-rings on the inside with green slime and I oversized the outer o-ring with an Arrma number he posted tighten down just a bit were part o-ring showed...very little. With the OEM I still have bagged no leaks on them at all with many runs with the newer/different o-rings. I was just set on the Typhon and already had front only when I did the o-ring fix on OEM. Then later on the Big Bore for the looks...

Sorry this was long hope it helped :)

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...cks-need-help-from-the-vets.24157/post-334966

IMG_20200630_210323.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. Not gonna lie, I really like the way the Big Bores look on the truck. I'm convinced that they are a decent alternative so I'm going to get them. I know rebuilding would be cheaper, but ... ahh, you know the rest of the story. Never hurts to add a little bling to your rig.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back