Kraton Tip: how to clean Arrma Kraton diffs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpy Old Man RC

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Since I was working on my Kraton and another member just muddied his up,

These SHOULD be safe for use on some RC stuff. They are both supposed to be composite safe and I use them all the time for other things that have a lot of plastic of some grade or another.

I changed out/added diff fluids to my Kraton Tuesday and instead of taking all the gearing out, I just carefully squirted one of these into the case and ran the diff by hand. Repeated until all the black gunk was out of the center diff. Easily cleaned it out.

I didn’t want to take gearing out yet as I have no shims or new bearings so there was no real reason to.

The Hornady cleaner has a dry lubricant in it and I can clean my firearms with it and actually shoot them with no further lube. Some of you may already be aware of these products and some may not but I’ve been using these in my other hobbies for years and it just yesterday hit me. I can see both of these products getting used in my RCs.

Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber
https://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Casey-Scrubber-Cleaner-15-Ounce/dp/B07N5GPQ6C?th=1

Hornady One Shot Cleaner & Dry Lube
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MVQ8R6...d_r=e88eabb0-4031-11e9-a824-df4daa8f2bd1&th=1

I looked but did not see a general tip/tricks forum.
Moderator(s) move if needed.

I like the idea/tips. The One Shot is some pricey stuff though huh? I’ve used other brands on my firearms in the past that are similar. Perhaps there are others that aren’t quite so $. If it works really well, than it’s worth it.

Oneshot is expensive for this kind of thing and there are cheaper options. My only hesitation about using the product the way you describe is not removing components is not removing all the residue, not that I think it would cause a problem. You don't need to shim, you can put the diffs back as you found them with the new fluid if need be.

I like the idea/tips. The One Shot is some pricey stuff though huh? I’ve used other brands on my firearms in the past that are similar. Perhaps there are others that aren’t quite so $. If it works really well, than it’s worth it.
Yeah, it is kinda pricey but having the dry lube in it makes it work better for firearms, but it might work well for lubing unsealed bearings and other stuff that needs lubing while cleaning, even if they are still installed. Probably the Gun Scrubber is all that is actually needed for RC. Be careful with the trigger or you'll blast something out that you didn't mean to.

Oneshot is expensive for this kind of thing and there are cheaper options. My only hesitation about using the product the way you describe is not removing components is not removing all the residue, not that I think it would cause a problem. You don't need to shim, you can put the diffs back as you found them with the new fluid if need be.
Please point me to a cheaper cleaner that also has a real good dry lube that stays after the cleaner evaporates. I'll test it on my firearms and RC stuff.

Not in the one product I don't. Cheaper and more effect approach is to use two products IMO. I use Oneshot when reloading but that's it for that product. For cleaning I use a foaming stuff in a blue can for bore cleaning (name escaping me atm while at work, but I can look in my reloading cupboard tonight if interested) followed by Hoppe's No9. Graphite serves as a good dry lube and you can get it in a pressurised can.

I will think about it though as I like the idea of multiuse where appropriate though I reckon it will be more so the other way around more ie what RC stuff can I use with my firearms

Not in the one product I don't. Cheaper and more effect approach is to use two products IMO. I use Oneshot when reloading but that's it for that product. For cleaning I use a foaming stuff in a blue can for bore cleaning (name escaping me atm while at work, but I can look in my reloading cupboard tonight if interested) followed by Hoppe's No9. Graphite serves as a good dry lube and you can get it in a pressurised can.

I will think about it though as I like the idea of multiuse where appropriate though I reckon it will be more so the other way around more ie what RC stuff can I use with my firearms
No problem. I've been using the cleaner/dry lube for years and like it. Remington makes a dry lube that is good for just lubing.
I've been playing with firearms much much longer than RC and I started in RC in the middle '70s.
I automatically look the other way.
I use the One Shot case lube some on rifle cartridges.

Another product that has crossed over for me is MiliTe-1 oil. There are cheaper alternatives to this as well but I know this stuff is superb.

Anyone else use white lightning as a lubricant? It's marketed towards bikes to lubricate while not attracting dirt. Has worked well for me.
For cleaning I try to avoid using water, unless it was a muddy bash, bc the drying process is kind of a pain to prevent rust. Usually just clean with paint brush and my wife's toothbrush ? then some handy cleaner and relube with white lightning.

Does anyone else use a syringe to apply grease? I've seen people swear by udder butter but it looked like red n tacky grease I use, just minus the syringe. I just filled my own syringe up and now it's super easy to apply grease exactly where I need it.
Filling the syringe was an idea my wife gave me after seeing her fill icing bottles with frosting. Sweet little trick just using a zip lock bag.

Anyone else use white lightning as a lubricant? It's marketed towards bikes to lubricate while not attracting dirt. Has worked well for me.
For cleaning I try to avoid using water, unless it was a muddy bash, bc the drying process is kind of a pain to prevent rust. Usually just clean with paint brush and my wife's toothbrush ? then some handy cleaner and relube with white lightning.
What kind of cleaner can I use on my Arrma truck for cleaning?

Lot of us use simple green. I spray it down then use a toothbrush to knock any dirt off followed up by air compressor to dry off. For diffs I soak the gears in brake fluid. Anything with grease or oil will soak in brake fluid.
What about carb cleaner or automotive parts cleaner? What do you think of those for diff gears and diff cup? Where can I get simple green?

What kind of cleaner can I use on my Arrma truck for cleaning?

I use denatured alcohol in a spray bottle on my 6S Typhon. I can adjust it from a sharp stream to a mist. I've been using this for decades on RC helicopters. Safe for plastics, etc. You can buy it by the gallon at most big box and ACE type hardware stores. I spray all exposed balls, joints, etc. with Super Lub dry lube. Dries with no residue and does not attract dirt. Coats everything with teflon lube.

What about carb cleaner or automotive parts cleaner? What do you think of those for diff gears and diff cup? Where can I get simple green?
I can't say about other cleaners. I'm sure it probably wouldn't matter. I've only used brake cleaner, sorry not fluid. It's late. You can find simple green at grocery and home improvement stores. Usually with the cleaning supplies

I find brake clean just ain’t what it used to be. Getting the diff parts clean is a chore. I think it really needs to be a solvent based degreaser.

Formula for effective cleaning of rc vehicles, 60% denatured alcohol, 35% simple green, 5% wd40, mixed in a spray bottle. Shake well before each use and spray off with air compressor. The 5% wd40 dries to leave a protective film.

Formula for effective cleaning of rc vehicles, 60% denatured alcohol, 35% simple green, 5% wd40, mixed in a spray bottle. Shake well before each use and spray off with air compressor. The 5% wd40 dries to leave a protective film.
I always used this mix for the rc cleaner.

But for diff parts I have had the best results with soaking them for like 5-10 min in denatured alcohol.

What ever happened to @Grumpy Old Man RC ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back