Typhon Tips for changing bearings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WranglerBob

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Got a set from fast eddy coming. Probably going to start from the front and work my way back. First big change on my lil buggy. Any tips or tricks or maybe some solid how-to’s I could check in on someone’s got, before I go tackling this when they arrive?

Got a set from fast eddy coming. Probably going to start from the front and work my way back. First big change on my lil buggy. Any tips or tricks or maybe some solid how-to’s I could check in on someone’s got, before I go tackling this when they arrive?
If you don't have an absolutely awesome set of hex wrenches from a company like MIP or Wera get some before you touch the hubs. And you might need a torch or a soldering iron to heat the lock tite up on the hubs to break it loose. if you don't what's going to end up happening is that you'll strip the set screw out and then you'll be in a world of trouble trying to get that set screw out of that hub without ruining the hub

If you don't have an absolutely awesome set of hex wrenches from a company like MIP or Wera get some before you touch the hubs. And you might need a torch or a soldering iron to heat the lock tite up on the hubs to break it loose. if you don't what's going to end up happening is that you'll strip the set screw out and then you'll be in a world of trouble trying to get that set screw out of that hub without ruining the hub
That’s something I definitely need. Proper hex drivers. What sizes are the screws in the Arrma lineup?
Do you have a 3S or 6S? Heat is likely to be required for the setscrew holding the pin in the hub.

@Bournemouth RC has a couple of great videos going over the bearing changes for a 6S truck. It will be usefull to you even if you ahve a 3S.

Part 1:
mines a 6s. One should’ve added that I have swapped out to outcast hubs, hexes and dogbones(I think that’s what it was called). So I learned then that needing better tools and a way of heating screws safely is needed. Best way of localizing heat on just a screw? Soldering iron?
Hey WranglerBob,

@Camaroboy383 gave me great advice on removal of the input gear bearings here. https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/any-last-words.22458/post-308976 have a read.
I think that’s part of an issue. Since I don’t know much about rc, input gear bearings. Where are the or what part is it and what does it do? I oughta find something somewhere that explains parts out I’m changing and their function.

Last edited:
You need at least a 1.5, 2.0 and 2.5mm hex drivers. 5.5 and 7.0mm nut drivers are nice to have as well.

I use a butane torch to heat the screw. Others are using a soldering iron. Be careful not to melt the plastic when you apply the heat.

Just watch the youtube video I linked above for the bearings. That will help you getting started and avoid messing up. It’s quite easy and fun to do it right, but you need to have a general idea of what you are doing and how to do it... It’s also easy to mess it up, end up with stripped screws, curse a lot, hate your life, etc. if you improvise the first time your wrenching on these things. :LOL:

Trust me, it’s really easy and fun to work on these trucks. Youtube and Arrmaforum are great resources to get you started.

You need at least a 1.5, 2.0 and 2.5mm hex drivers. 5.5 and 7.0mm nut drivers are nice to have as well.

I use a butane torch to heat the screw. Others are using a soldering iron. Be careful not to melt the plastic when you apply the heat.

Just watch the youtube video I linked above for the bearings. That will help you getting started and avoid messing up. It’s quite easy and fun to do it right, but you need to have a general idea of what you are doing and how to do it... It’s also easy to mess it up, end up with stripped screws, curse a lot, hate your life, etc. if you improvise the first time your wrenching on these things. :LOL:

Trust me, it’s really easy and fun to work on these trucks. Youtube and Arrmaforum are great resources to get you started.
This, the pillow ball retainers are a 4 or 5 iirc, but for screws with that size hex the one that comes with the truck works just fine. Of all of the screwdriver sets I have purchased over the years the only 2 that caused me troubles are the 1.5 and 2mm. I have so many 2.5 and up bits that still look brand new.

Another suggestion that I can make is to replace all of the flat head and button head screws with socket head, there are some that you cannot like the ones in the bottom of the chassis and I think the diffs, I can't remember if they clear or not.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back