Typhon Tips for getting better at landing jumps?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trixxstrr

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Typhon 3s
I'm looking for tips in getting better at landing jumps on a dirt track with lots of jumps. I've only gone a few times with my Typhon 3S but most of the time most jumps I end up bouncing to land upside down. I'm still fairly new at this, I got the Senton mega brushed last year as my first rc and it's way more forgiving since it's lower power I can pin it around the track and most jumps I can't get much height on so it's way easier to land. But now that I got the Typhon 3s I can't find the sweet spot on jumps for how to take them to land either flying too far and bouncing or two low and just flipping right over front ways. I don't know what throttle levels I should be going into jumps with, and what I should be doing with throttle in the air. Any beginner tips or videos for this kind of thing?

Brake pitches nose forward/down and throttle pitches nose up. Generally a quick brake blip as soon as the rear wheels clear the jump to pitch the nose down and throttle blips to adjust for landing. This is based on race tracks where there is usually a sloped approach for the landing. Watching rc racing vids and remembering the throttle/brake affects and you can get an idea of how to practice.

You would roll throttle depending on the angle and distance you need to clear. It depends on your rig and its acceleration characteristic. The faster you the hit the jump the farther you launch so you have to determine how far you want to jump and adjust acceleration accordingly. Again, watching rc offroad racing will really help to understand the methodology.

I’ve watched some videos but how do you tell from that what they are doing with the throttle? Like what percent going in, any cut off, tweaks in the air, I don’t see how you tell any of that by watching a video of someone going around a track?

Ditch the rtr transmitter for a dumb orc while you're at it. The el cheapo spectrum lag has killed many cars. Having quicker response makes a huge difference!

I’ve watched some videos but how do you tell from that what they are doing with the throttle? Like what percent going in, any cut off, tweaks in the air, I don’t see how you tell any of that by watching a video of someone going around a track?

Here's a good example of how the vehicle reacts in the air to brake/throttle.

They make it look easy but that's because they are constantly adjusting their brake and throttle.

As for accelerating into the jumps, again that depends on the launch angle and distance to be covered.

Other than watching how its done and then practicing knowing how the brake and throttle affect the vehicle I can't steer you anywhere else. It really is practice and a learned knowledge.

Great thread here! I race MX and I'll admit gyro on an RC is crazy strong. Brake and throttle in the air is wicked! It's hard not to mash the throttle but don't. Since I learned this, I've landed quite a few more jumps!

Last edited:
Great thread here! I race MX and I'll admit gyro on an RC is crazy strong. Brake and throttle in the air is wicked! It's hard not to mask the throttle but don't. Since I learned this, I've landed quite a few more jumps!

What do you mean mask the throttle?

Throttle up the jump or let off before leaving?
Depends on the jump. If the jump tends to make you nose dive, you want to stay on the throttle to keep the nose up. If the jump tends to tip the nose up, you want to be ready to let go of the throttle (right after the jump) and brake as needed.

One thing that helped me when first jumping. Turn down your brake. I used 37.5% at first. Higher brake settings will pitch your car forward drastically when you hit full brake in the air. Lower brake level enables you to level out more predictably. As you get better, you can turn up the brake and use less or more depending on how much forward pitch you want.

NUMBER ONE thing. Use a predictable jump. This includes the approach, jump, and landing zone. Going off an unpredictable mound of dirt with a slippery approach and rough landing zone makes it very difficult to land consistently. A ramp is ideal. A smooth, wide BMX jump is also good. A downhill approach makes it much easier to stay straight.

A video with my Granite. Since the camera stays still and the jump is always the same, it's easy to hear the gas and brake and notice how they affect the car in the air. Listen for the squeak of the brake, watch how it stops rotation/pulls the nose down. Often you'll hear a little gas right before landing. Because I'm about to nose dive and need to pull the nose up. When you land, you should be neutral, no brake, no gas.

Last edited:
Depends on the jump. If the jump tends to make you nose dive, you want to stay on the throttle to keep the nose up. If the jump tends to tip the nose up, you want to be ready to let go of the throttle and brake as needed.

One thing that helped me when first jumping. Turn down your brake. I used 37.5%. Higher brake settings will pitch your car forward drastically when you hit full brake in the air. Lower brake level enables you to level out predictably with full brake. As you get better, you can turn up the brake and adjust the brake level depending on how much forward rotation you want.

NUMBER ONE thing. Use a predictable jump. This includes the approach, jump, and landing zone. Going off an unpredictable mound of dirt with a slippery approach and rough landing zone makes it very difficult to land consistently. Building a ramp is ideal. A smooth BMX track is also good.

A video of me with my Granite. Since the camera stays still and the jump is always the same, it's easy to see and hear how I'm hitting the gas or using the brake to level out in the air. Listen for the squeak of the brake, watch how it stops rotation/pitches the car forward. Often you'll notice I hit the gas right before landing. Because I'm about to nose dive and need to correct. When you land, you should be neutral, no brake, no gas.
Not for nothing but it looks like you landing on throttle or very close to it.

Not for nothing but it looks like you landing on throttle or very close to it.
On the first double back flip for sure. The ramp barely lets me get it in. I tend to brake too early so I do a lot of those last second corrections, but just a quick burst, I'm not on the throttle at landing. Trying to train myself to brake a little later.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back