Big Rock Tips from a new BRCC owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skt07

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
COVID-19 has resulted in me picking up some new hobbies, including RC's. I played with remote control cars as a kid and loved them, but this Big Rock is on a whole different level! My kid asked for a remote control car a month ago, so I picked up a Latrax Desert Prerunner. It was way more fun than I thought it was going to be and so much faster than what I had as a kid. I instantly knew I had to get an RC for myself. A bigger, faster one!

I managed to grab the last Big Rock available locally (I'm in Ontario, Canada) and ordered a charger and some 3s lipos from Amazon and I was all set to go. Or so I thought. Here are some tips for other new Big Rock owners that I've gleaned both from experience and this great forum.

1. Stuck wheels - Before I ran the Big Rock for the first time, I took a few obvious pieces off, like the wheels. 2 out of 4 wheels were really stuck on the pins. After removing the nuts, they would not budge. Instead of trying to force them off, I used a hair dryer aimed at the center o off the wheel for a couple minutes. They slid right off. I realized after the wheels were off that the hole in the wheel was slightly too small. I used a drill bit by hand to ream out the hole just enough so the wheels slide on and off easily.

2. Tools - the plastic tool and allen keys that come in the box will not cut it. I've already rounded off the plastic wheel nut remover, so my wheels are stuck on until a cross tool arrives. Better they are stuck on than off I guess. And as I discovered replacing the servo, the allen keys are not fun to use. I've already placed an order for some hex drivers and a cross tool.

3. Servo - the stock servo seems weak. The wheels were not coming back to center on grass. So I replaced it with the 25kg DS3225MG. It's much better and swapping the servo was pretty easy, even with the allen keys. Only issue was the servo saver was very stuck on the stock servo, maybe due to glue. Once again, I hit it with a hair dryer and the servo saver popped right off. Also had to turn the steering rate way down so the arm doesn't bump into the casing.

4. Transmitter - it's been said many times, but it's worth repeating, the STX2 transmitter is not good. Even in my limited experience with RC's, I could tell it is terrible. I've placed an order for a Flysky GT5 and eagerly await its arrival. I do like the 50/75/100 switch for when my kid uses it. I'll have to figure out how to replicate easily switching to the equivalent of the "50" setting with the Flysky.

5. Rollovers - I do notice that the Big Rock is pretty easy to flip over when taking turns fast. Not great and happens more than I'd like. I've ordered the Typhon A-arms and turnbuckles to widen the stance. If that doesn't do the trick, the Hot Racing 17mm hubs and some Badlands MX28's are in my future.

6. Body clips - I like the rubber leads that keep the clips attached to the body, but man are the clips hard to get on and off. Realized a little too late that the trick is to use some pliers to widen the opening of the clips. Too late, as I've already torn the rubber on a few of the clips.

7. Other upgrades - I have a motor fan on the way. Not sure it's needed, but it can't hurt for a few bucks (ordered an orange aluminum one from Yeah Racing). Also ordered a set of rubber sealed bearings from Acer Racing for when I do a full tear down and rebuild.

8. Granite vs. Big Rock - I was debating between the Granite and the Big Rock. After about 6 packs, I think I can say that I made the right choice for me. The long wheel base seems very stable at full speed, and when I punch it off the line, or even mid-throttle depending on the surface, I still get a big wheelie. I don't think I would like it if it were any easier to wheelie. I've done some jumping in the backyard off a jerry-rigged ramp (plywood propped up by a chair), and have managed to do backflips with the Big Rock. I imagine the Granite would flip more easily and be better for tricks, but that's not my biggest priority.

9. Still learning - Don't know much yet about adjusting suspension, shocks and differentials. I'm not sure what the different weights of shock oil do or what I need to do to maintain the differentials or what fluid to put in. Also trying to figure out the effects of changing the pinion and spur gears and if it's something that would benefit my situation. Don't fully understand gear mesh and how to do it right or what happens if it is done wrong. So not touching those things for the time being.

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully some of it is helpful to new Big Rock owners.

I have a motor fan on the way.
I've found that my brcc runs pretty hot and I like having a fan even using just a 5000mah lipo. I'm on 18t pinion, extensions and Badlands but seems like it ran hot even before I did all that. I do like to run it wide open for most of the session so other folks that don't may see different results.
Shocks I use are some ebay specials that cost me $40 for the whole truck. Probably not ideal but they work and I just beat on my 3s trucks anyway. Others may want to spend more because the stock shocks should eventually leak. There are methods and ideas to use stock shock bodies but I did the easy fix and use 40 or 50wt fluid in the ebay specials from Losi I think.

Great post and solid information! Welcome to the forum @skt07 ! ??

I found my brcc stabel enough with the typhon arms and turnbuckles :)
Otherwise I have more or less the same experience as you :)

9. Still learning - Don't know much yet about adjusting suspension, shocks and differentials. I'm not sure what the different weights of shock oil do or what I need to do to maintain the differentials or what fluid to put in. Also trying to figure out the effects of changing the pinion and spur gears and if it's something that would benefit my situation. Don't fully understand gear mesh and how to do it right or what happens if it is done wrong. So not touching those things for the time being.

One thing you should do for a new truck is to make sure the shock fluid is topped off. They can be low from the factory.

One thing you should do for a new truck is to make sure the shock fluid is topped off. They can be low from the factory.

Thanks for the tip! Do you have a recommendation of what type of fluid to put in the shocks?

COVID-19 has resulted in me picking up some new hobbies, including RC's. I played with remote control cars as a kid and loved them, but this Big Rock is on a whole different level! My kid asked for a remote control car a month ago, so I picked up a Latrax Desert Prerunner. It was way more fun than I thought it was going to be and so much faster than what I had as a kid. I instantly knew I had to get an RC for myself. A bigger, faster one!

I managed to grab the last Big Rock available locally (I'm in Ontario, Canada) and ordered a charger and some 3s lipos from Amazon and I was all set to go. Or so I thought. Here are some tips for other new Big Rock owners that I've gleaned both from experience and this great forum.

1. Stuck wheels - Before I ran the Big Rock for the first time, I took a few obvious pieces off, like the wheels. 2 out of 4 wheels were really stuck on the pins. After removing the nuts, they would not budge. Instead of trying to force them off, I used a hair dryer aimed at the center o off the wheel for a couple minutes. They slid right off. I realized after the wheels were off that the hole in the wheel was slightly too small. I used a drill bit by hand to ream out the hole just enough so the wheels slide on and off easily.

2. Tools - the plastic tool and allen keys that come in the box will not cut it. I've already rounded off the plastic wheel nut remover, so my wheels are stuck on until a cross tool arrives. Better they are stuck on than off I guess. And as I discovered replacing the servo, the allen keys are not fun to use. I've already placed an order for some hex drivers and a cross tool.

3. Servo - the stock servo seems weak. The wheels were not coming back to center on grass. So I replaced it with the 25kg DS3225MG. It's much better and swapping the servo was pretty easy, even with the allen keys. Only issue was the servo saver was very stuck on the stock servo, maybe due to glue. Once again, I hit it with a hair dryer and the servo saver popped right off. Also had to turn the steering rate way down so the arm doesn't bump into the casing.

4. Transmitter - it's been said many times, but it's worth repeating, the STX2 transmitter is not good. Even in my limited experience with RC's, I could tell it is terrible. I've placed an order for a Flysky GT5 and eagerly await its arrival. I do like the 50/75/100 switch for when my kid uses it. I'll have to figure out how to replicate easily switching to the equivalent of the "50" setting with the Flysky.

5. Rollovers - I do notice that the Big Rock is pretty easy to flip over when taking turns fast. Not great and happens more than I'd like. I've ordered the Typhon A-arms and turnbuckles to widen the stance. If that doesn't do the trick, the Hot Racing 17mm hubs and some Badlands MX28's are in my future.

6. Body clips - I like the rubber leads that keep the clips attached to the body, but man are the clips hard to get on and off. Realized a little too late that the trick is to use some pliers to widen the opening of the clips. Too late, as I've already torn the rubber on a few of the clips.

7. Other upgrades - I have a motor fan on the way. Not sure it's needed, but it can't hurt for a few bucks (ordered an orange aluminum one from Yeah Racing). Also ordered a set of rubber sealed bearings from Acer Racing for when I do a full tear down and rebuild.

8. Granite vs. Big Rock - I was debating between the Granite and the Big Rock. After about 6 packs, I think I can say that I made the right choice for me. The long wheel base seems very stable at full speed, and when I punch it off the line, or even mid-throttle depending on the surface, I still get a big wheelie. I don't think I would like it if it were any easier to wheelie. I've done some jumping in the backyard off a jerry-rigged ramp (plywood propped up by a chair), and have managed to do backflips with the Big Rock. I imagine the Granite would flip more easily and be better for tricks, but that's not my biggest priority.

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully some of it is helpful to new Big Rock owners.
[/QUOT

I want to do the Typhon A-arms and turnbuckles also..... where did you order the turnbuckles from if you don't mind me asking? I can find the A-arms all over but have had no luck on the turnbuckles......

Thanks for the tip! Do you have a recommendation of what type of fluid to put in the shocks?

If you are just topping it off, you should go with what the same weight the factory puts in. I read around here 40w from Team associated, or Losi brand 42.5w is the closest.

I want to do the Typhon A-arms and turnbuckles also..... where did you order the turnbuckles from if you don't mind me asking? I can find the A-arms all over but have had no luck on the turnbuckles......

I got them from Jennys RC, but appears to be out of stock now...

https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...8&_sid=d078dd6c1&_ss=r&variant=19223746773046
If you are just topping it off, you should go with what the same weight the factory puts in. I read around here 40w from Team associated, or Losi brand 42.5w is the closest.
Thanks! Will look to pick some shock oil up in a variety of weights for future experimentation.

Oh just remembered another thing I did before I ran the Big Rock for the first time. I taped up the 2 little holes in each wheel with clear Gorilla Tape to keep dirt and water out. I figure I'll have to vent the tires at some point, but so far it's working well fully sealed up. When i give the tires a squeeze, no air comes out from anywhere, but there is a decent amount of give.

Seal the hole in the power module.

Anyone have a link to the thread with pics? I'd Google it but....

Seal the hole in the power module.

Anyone have a link to the thread with pics? I'd Google it but....

I put some tape over the hole on the other side of the motor (red tape in the picture). Not sure if that does anything but doesn’t seem to have hurt

I haven’t popped out the power module yet but I think I’ve read about people sealing up around the open spur gear. I’ll definitely do that when I take out the power module.

416B6BDA-2662-43FB-BF62-CFEB7B1D89BC.jpeg

which cross wrench?

Does anybody know the weight of the stock differential fluid in the Big Rock (front and back)? Thanks!

Found that to see all the specs for any model, including stock fluids etc. to use the “compare models” feature on the Arrma website. Has all the info I was looking for listed out nicely.

Also, thinking about maybe upgrading the ESC and motor at some point. No real issues today (other than an overly conservative low voltage cutoff - around 3.9V per cell) but I like having the backup/upgrade ready for when I need it. Also fun to tinker.

Anyone have any comments on this combo below? Will it fit in the Big Rock? Is it an upgrade? Would I have to change anything else to make it fit (pinion, spur etc)? Any better options?

Hobbywing Ezrun Max8 150A ESC Combo with EzRun 4274 2200kV Brushless

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B07V4XKFFS/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_4?smid=A23Q0331OT8UXQ&psc=1

Thanks!

I drilled holes in my windshield body in a cross pattern after i gorilla taped the inside. The motor is definitely cooler now when i run. Just seemed to me that not much air flow was getting through to the electronics.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back