tire glue - what can I use from the hardware store?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike k

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 6s
N00b question:
TL;DR Is there anything that I can get at the local hardware store to effectively patch up my tires until my replacement arrive?

I'm rapidly destroying the stock tires from my Outcast 6s. A new set in on the way, but there's no LHS here and I'd like to keep riding on these in the meantime. Are there any products I can pick up at a hardware store that will work in a pinch for these wounds?

Thanks!
IMG_2278.jpeg

IMG_2279.jpeg

IMG_2280.jpeg

N00b question:
TL;DR Is there anything that I can get at the local hardware store to effectively patch up my tires until my replacement arrive?

I'm rapidly destroying the stock tires from my Outcast 6s. A new set in on the way, but there's no LHS here and I'd like to keep riding on these in the meantime. Are there any products I can pick up at a hardware store that will work in a pinch for these wounds?

Thanks! View attachment 79549

View attachment 79550

View attachment 79551

I use Gorilla glue with similar results. It's the same stuff for the most part (CA Glue.)
I've successfully used Gorilla Super Glue while I waited to receive the Bob Smith "rubberized" CA glue.
https://www.gorillatough.com/product/gorilla-super-glue/
PS: Clean the area very well with windex or similar and allow it to dry. Helps to rough the surface where we want the glue to adhere. Clean adhesion is key. I hate glueing tires but I blow em out constatly and these steps are what's helped me from doing it more than once. The thinnest formula stuff from pretty much any maker holds best imo. It's worth ordering the Bob Smith so it's available next time we need it but same cleaning is important and it must be allowed to cure overnight. CA glue cures in humidity and moisture best. There are also accelerators we can use but I haven't needed em here in my tropical South LA environment. For example and just a guess, dry Arizona may show different results. lol

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the quick responses!
So: Bob Smith for repairs, clean with windex or similar.

Tire glue and remover: is that for removing tires from rims and mounting new ones, or something else? Specific recs there?

Search the forum for tire removal. A little heat will do but might stink up the house while others use acetone but be careful and follow instructions.

For gluing, use superthin CA, a small drop will glue the entire wheel. Cleaning required with anything that doesn't leave residue, not sure about windex tbh, I use isopropyl alcohol.

Remover is only good for your hands, won't do much to remove the tires. ;)

Try these threads for removal
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...good-way-to-glue-the-tires.20451/#post-280467

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/easiest-cleanest-least-dangerous-tire-removal.4362/

Last edited:
Search the forum for tire removal. A little heat will do but might stink up the house while others use acetone but be careful and follow instructions.

For gluing, use superthin CA, a small drop will glue the entire wheel. Cleaning required with anything that doesn't leave residue, not sure about windex thh, I use isopropyl alcohol.

Remover is only good for your hands, won't do much to remove the tires. ;)

Try these threads for removal
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...good-way-to-glue-the-tires.20451/#post-280467

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/easiest-cleanest-least-dangerous-tire-removal.4362/
Alcohol is usually cheaper than branded Windex. Probably close to the same product. Alcohol can clean windows well also but the key is newspaper lol. I think ammonia may be even better...at least on windows. lol
I use acetone on my hands too. It's a quick thing and I don't soak em if there's any concern. A little on a harbor freight microfiber cloth and rub it out.

Bob Smith is one of the only sellers of RC glue that actually makes their own glue, pretty much everyone else is rebranded ca from other manufacturers or BSI themselfs.
An example this is the Hobbyking CA glue. Weird thing is the Hobbyking stuff was slightly cheaper than the actual BSI ?‍♂️
20200510_224741.jpg
Inked20200510_224757_LI.jpg

Bob Smith is one of the only sellers of RC glue that actually makes their own glue, pretty much everyone else is rebranded ca from other manufacturers or BSI themselfs.
An example this is the Hobbyking CA glue. Weird thing is the Hobbyking stuff was slightly cheaper than the actual BSI ?‍♂️
View attachment 79565View attachment 79566
I have some of that rebrand too from a hobby shop but mine is a blue cap and thin formula. That's what they suggested when I was very new and only had the slash. Never looked at the details but interesting that it's BSI! I know it was pretty cheap and maybe $2-3 for .75 oz small bottle. I have tons of glues and any bottle lasts forever for me even though I use it like crazy.
Place I got it is a very old hobby shop that won't ever carry Arrma. They're dependent on traxxas for surface. Label on the glue says HobbyTowne.

Instead of winded use simple green.
I love simple green and would prolly be just as effective. I have windex in the shop and always reach for it because of what they told me when I asked Sweep Racing about some replacement tires. I never followed through and kick myself because of it.

N00b question:

Thanks! View attachment 79549

View attachment 79550

View attachment 79551
gorilla glue is really good
gorilla super glue

Gorilla glue is good but a little to thick for tires imho.
With the extra thin, hold the tire semi horizontal, add 1 drop and walk it around the tire. Very clean and effective, add a drop whenever needed but 1-2 typically does the job. The thicker stuff won't run into the crevices and you have to pull back the tire etc

This is not an exact science and all CA glues will work. Only challenge is to keep it off your fingers :ROFLMAO:

I have some of that rebrand too from a hobby shop but mine is a blue cap and thin formula. That's what they suggested when I was very new and only had the slash. Never looked at the details but interesting that it's BSI! I know it was pretty cheap and maybe $2-3 for .75 oz small bottle. I have tons of glues and any bottle lasts forever for me even though I use it like crazy.
Place I got it is a very old hobby shop that won't ever carry Arrma. They're dependent on traxxas for surface. Label on the glue says HobbyTowne.
BSI makes ca glue for my LHS too.
Instead of winded use simple green.
Instead of Simple Green use Mean Green $4.99 a gallon vs $8.47 for the Simple Green it looks the same, smells the same and even works the same.

I purchase Simple Green for work because that's what he likes so I kinda "acquire" some here and there. Next time I have to buy some I'll get Mean Green. I think they stock it at the dollar store thats on the way to work.
Yeah they have Mean Green everywhere, I usually pick it up from the Dollar General or Menards.

Clean the area off really well with an old toothbrush and then apply some super glue and let it cure. Has worked very well on my 6S rigs.

View attachment 79565View attachment 79566

Just checked
Super thin, BSI

"Pocket CA" I don't want to keep it in my pocket ....juuuustt in case. Too many things close to my pockets that I don't think want to be glued.

1589246039849.png

1589246056311.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back