Tire removal question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velodromed

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Vorteks
  8. Voltage
  9. Infraction 4x4
I’ve been watching some videos and perusing through the past posts about removing tires from rims and it looks like the oven method is the best at 350°. I’m just wondering if, from anyone’s experience, that way really stinks up the house a lot, or if it kind of stinks up the house a little?
Thanks!

I’ve been watching some videos and perusing through the past posts about removing tires from rims and it looks like the oven method is the best at 350°. I’m just wondering if, from anyone’s experience, that way really stinks up the house a lot, or if it kind of stinks up the house a little?
Thanks!
I tried boiling. I left them in there for 2+ hours and it took a bit of effort. Save your self from the pain and bake them!

I tried boiling. I left them in there for 2+ hours and it took a bit of effort. Save your self from the pain and bake them!
I saw in one video where he boiled and the boiling water squirting all over from the foam when trying to remove the rubber. That’s exactly what I would do and burn myself so…yeah. I’m just wondering if it’s stinks so I can prepare my household 😂

I saw in one video where he boiled and the boiling water squirting all over from the foam when trying to remove the rubber. That’s exactly what I would do and burn myself so…yeah. I’m just wondering if it’s stinks so I can prepare my household 😂
I had my Senton tires burst open and I got the tires only. Since the tires burst, I ripped the foam right out. No burning myself today

350F heat up the oven, turn it off and place in the tires for 10min. No stink and no odor.
Do 375 if you have a convection oven.
Wear gloves :)
Sweet! I’ll try this first. Thanks!!

So…it’s early. Just me and the dog. Time to try this disaster on.
II have decided to go with the baked potato method in the oven (sorry, no barbecue today it’s raining).

Temp- 375
Wrap- aluminum double crimp
Time- 5 min then turn oven off let sit 15 min
Seasoning- none 😐

I thought about doing the tires two at a time, but decided to double wrap them in foil, just like a potato. As I started to preheat the oven to 375 inrealized I didn’t need to wait for preheat, they're tires not potatoes, so threw them in there during preheat.

Ugh. Of course they may melt during preheat, they are tires after all not potatoes, so maybe I’ll take them out during preheat.
Okay…I took them out during pre-heat.
☕️ I have no idea why I’m trying to do this without coffee.

Ok. Preheat done, potatoes I mean tires into the oven…of course forgetting that I had it in the oven during preheat and burning my fingers (dammit doug 🤬)… Now 5 min has gone by so turn off oven. Now to wait 🤞 I don’t stink up the house.

10 min in no stink.

More ☕️ cause why stop when one works when 8 works way more awesome better. Still no stink (Dude! I think you’re foil idea really works!)

Now I’m sitting here staring in the oven just like I stare at the street when Amazon tells me they’re only three stops away on my phone. What time did I start this?

Pass the bottle I mean more ☕️ (Much like Marlow staring down the river Thames, lite cheroot between his fingertips, before beginning a wandering Tale of Rickets and Rick-a-shaws) “just 5 more minutes and we begin” (no stink).

I know I’ll need a towel because it will be hot. I assume I have to pull all this apart while it’s still really hot because after it cools the glue rehardens no? Ooooo better not use a nice towel. That was a close call😳

Time to set up outside, oh it’s not raining after all. Huh. 🤔 I could wear gloves. But some really cool tuff guy recently said gloves are for babies and since I want to be really cool and tuff also…(as i reach for my gloves cause I’d rather be smart then cool whaaa 👼) still no stink.

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

29A48753-D0DD-45DF-8CE9-7CD2A27BC089.jpeg

3ACCFE71-EFB3-4779-B90A-9610B52EC82E.jpeg

5AD67CCD-113C-43C8-991A-61FBDBD97425.jpeg

B4037359-8809-4561-A08B-3263E26FA416.jpeg

Stupid tires. Dang it, these were the lake tires. From The Voltage that my wife drove into the lake. I tore into the first tire with gusto because hell, I was wearing gloves…okay they weren’t waterproof gloves. So they became boiling hot mittens Velcro’d to my wrists that I had trouble getting off. Steamed the hell outta my hands. I hate when time slows down like that. Time needs to slow down during amazing sex, big air or something fun, not pain like that. Man, I had even written on the bag ‘Lake Tires’. Not enough coffee, There lay my mistake.

I don’t know if I over cooked these are what, maybe it’s in the ridiculously soft stock rubber on these cheap tires. They were literally fall off the bone tender but left tons of crap all over the rims that my damaged hands could not immediately remove (carpel tunnel, not the burn. Can ignore burn pain but not carpel pain 🤪). So into a pot of boiling water go the rims.
Fu🤫k em.

Oh! At no time was there any overpowering smell. It was not bad whatsoever. Maybe I should’ve kept it at 350, yup, def shoulda kept at 350 And maybe gone a bit longer. The most stuck parts of course are the glue and tire bits down in the groove.

Yeah, I should’ve gotten more low and slow. I’ll try this again in a couple weeks with another set of tires that haven’t been in the lake. Perhaps I’ll have better luck at 350 degrees or 325…for longer. I’ll figure it out. Hopefully boiling the rims for long enough makes it easy to get the rest of the stuff off.

*as always, rubber side down ⬇️

F26F48DA-1FC1-48E2-92D6-A29B0A799423.jpeg

0A57730C-3F65-4165-834C-B6BE9F0CAD68.jpeg

ADC38D1F-2E7A-4EA8-A41D-59F8C0203F2F.jpeg

9921265B-2CC4-4746-8BAB-EC4CFEB52961.jpeg

13B3834D-3ACC-4F1A-8947-96DE18E08120.jpeg

🙄 ugh

Fine. I’ll try this now.

7D8CF3E9-79DB-4D78-854B-1F0F7CD1808D.jpeg

Fine. I’ll try this now.

7D8CF3E9-79DB-4D78-854B-1F0F7CD1808D.jpeg
Dammit…Funny how sometimes I only noticed some thing when i look at the picture
Okay, This one has acetone written as the first ingredient and it looks like it’ll make the rims stronger 😂
*I believe I just seal them in an airtight container with a little acetone and let the fumes to do the work? Well, since I only have a little acetone I’ll try that and forget about them for a few days.
**Is leaving them in my garage where it’s about 85° to warm?
Thanks.

Attachments

• 1C0D1A2A-C807-41AB-A658-26C815466523.jpeg
    1C0D1A2A-C807-41AB-A658-26C815466523.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 48
  • DCA6DC1F-7310-43BF-AA6C-E6F1326B5700.jpeg
    DCA6DC1F-7310-43BF-AA6C-E6F1326B5700.jpeg
    339.3 KB · Views: 45
As I've shared before, 300 degrees for 45 minutes has worked perfectly for me. The tires pull right off with no residue left on the rim.

Best of luck.

Oh, man! There's nothing worse than tough, dry chicken- I mean tires! Hopefully marinating them in acetone will soften the glue (that's what the label of the glue bottle says), but he perfumed nail polish remover would absolutely kill me. I didn't expect the rubber to pull apart like that. Is the oven method always a destructive process?

Oh, man! There's nothing worse than tough, dry chicken- I mean tires! Hopefully marinating them in acetone will soften the glue (that's what the label of the glue bottle says), but he perfumed nail polish remover would absolutely kill me. I didn't expect the rubber to pull apart like that. Is the oven method always a destructive process?
I think it’s the type of tires, those awful super thin Voltage tires. “Melt in your mouth not in your hands” rubber. Which is why I want to get rid of them. The rims are solid 2.8s.
I have trouble staying away from barbecue and cycling themes regardless of what I’m doing.
As I've shared before, 300 degrees for 45 minutes has worked perfectly for me. The tires pull right off with no residue left on the rim.

Best of luck.
Yes you did, and thank you for reminding me! After I had 350, 375, keep the oven on, turn the oven off mentioned just started all willy-nilly, sans coffee.
I have another set of the same thing I’ll try at 300 another day.

You are overthinking this. No wrapping, you need all the heat.

Yes, set them on alu foil and yes wear gloves. 350-375 with oven off. Direct heat (oven on) will melt plastic, hence my recommendation to turn it off.
It really depends on the oven. Duration is very subjective, if you have, like you have seen, you didn't get enough heat on it, just extend the duration and leave the silly wrapping off :) They are NOT potatoes. You need the heat to break the chemical bond on the CA and not steam cook the foam.
Once the CA is broken it doesn't go back and glue itself back on, it's permanent. If it's not broken, increase by 25F and try again.

Love the story though :)

But dood, a little spoonful of teriyaki and a pinch of minced onion, and those tender tires would have been good eatin'.
foil-wrapped-chicken.jpg

You are overthinking this. No wrapping, you need all the heat.

Yes, set them on alu foil and yes wear gloves. 350-375 with oven off. Direct heat (oven on) will melt plastic, hence my recommendation to turn it off.
It really depends on the oven. Duration is very subjective, if you have, like you have seen, you didn't get enough heat on it, just extend the duration and leave the silly wrapping off :) They are NOT potatoes. You need the heat to break the chemical bond on the CA and not steam cook the foam.
Once the CA is broken it doesn't go back and glue itself back on, it's permanent. If it's not broken, increase by 25F and try again.

Love the story though :)
The point of the foil was to prevent smell from getting inside the house and pissing off all the women here. That works.

I always overthink. If something requires under thinking it’s…well it’s not being thought about it’s just being done and I bull head thru it.

If I’m up at six in the morning wrapping something in foil to put in the oven without coffee…dammit they’re potatoes 🥔

I don’t have anymore tires that have been in the lake so they won’t be any more steam issues. Yup.

Last but not least it is way more fun this way. 🤪

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back