Tire shredding issues with talion 6s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
2nd time with tires shredding within days of getting them. Can anyone recommend tires that are more durable? I will be filing another warranty claim in the mean time to get the stock ones replaced but I'm pretty sure this will happen again. Any suggestions?

on 6s? did you modify the diffs oil? Vented?

I have a set that is 2 years old, which I run regularly and they hold fine, so I don't think the tires are the issue, asking to get more details

Exactly... sounds like its diffing out..

Haven't done anything. I've had the car about 3 months. For the first 2 months I was just running 4s until recently running 6s. I mean, I get it. It's stupid fast now but shedding tires twice in a month is ridiculous. I don't recall which tire it happened to first but this time it's the rear driver side.

Is it possible the area you are running in had debris able to puncture the tire? Just a thought...

other than that if it's a ballooning issue causing the failures because of "diffing out" you need to get in those diffs and change out to a thicker fluid..

The first time was at the beach, super soft sand. This time differently a lot rougher and now that you mention ballooning it does a lot of that. It seems to be ripping from the bead. Can ballooning lead to this?

Attachments

• 15722067710907217394059195896040.jpg
    15722067710907217394059195896040.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 15722069059513252877415005127347.jpg
    15722069059513252877415005127347.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 27
Or avoid accelerating when you’re diffing out.
If you have a wheel or two in the air and so the car not accelerating, give it more power will not help, it will just tear diffs and tires.
Btw those tires are not torn. Just the glue came off, you can glue them back.

Haven't done anything. I've had the car about 3 months. For the first 2 months I was just running 4s until recently running 6s. I mean, I get it. It's stupid fast now but shedding tires twice in a month is ridiculous. I don't recall which tire it happened to first but this time it's the rear driver side.
It's time to change the diff fluid. It thins over time and the center diff unloads too much power to the front wheels. In my talion I run front50k middle 200k and rear35k.
Check your tires after every run for rim and tire separation. Reglue them if necessary.
Self righting, full throttle doughnuts, and extensive full throttle for mor than a couple seconds are all hard on tires. Venting the outside of the tire can help with getting water out of them which weighs them down and will cause them to fly appart as well.
For other tires maybe try they proline badlands truggie tires. They are a little heavier but great on the talion. They look similar to original backflips but are lighter. Abother option is the backflip lp. Avoid big heavy tires no matter how tempting. They turn the talion into a poor handling, clumsy overweight truggie.

Ok I thought I had enough info but I couldn't be more wrong. Let's rewind. Very first rc was 2wd slash. Out of the box bashing. Never had to worry about diff oils and viscosity. Now having talion 6s there are obviously more things to be more involved in. So im just gonna say it... noob. With that being said and not having done anything maintenance wise to my truck since I got it, what have I @%&^@×* up and or needs immediate attention?
It's time to change the diff fluid. It thins over time and the center diff unloads too much power to the front wheels. In my talion I run front50k middle 200k and rear35k.
Check your tires after every run for rim and tire separation. Reglue them if necessary.
Self righting, full throttle doughnuts, and extensive full throttle for mor than a couple seconds are all hard on tires. Venting the outside of the tire can help with getting water out of them which weighs them down and will cause them to fly appart as well.
For other tires maybe try they proline badlands truggie tires. They are a little heavier but great on the talion. They look similar to original backflips but are lighter. Abother option is the backflip lp. Avoid big heavy tires no matter how tempting. They turn the talion into a poor handling, clumsy overweight truggie.
You mention 50k,200k and 35k. Is it the bigger the number, the thinner it is?

Last edited:
Ok I thought I had enough info but I couldn't be more wrong. Let's rewind. Very first rc was 2wd slash. Out of the box bashing. Never had to worry about diff oils and viscosity. Now having talion 6s there are obviously more things to be more involved in. So im just gonna say it... noob. With that being said and not having done anything maintenance wise to my truck since I got it, what have I @%&^@×* up and or needs immediate attention?

You mention 50k,200k and 35k. Is it the bigger the number, the thinner it is?
Opposite. Higher is thicker

The bigger number is thicker fluid. It’s kind of like grease but it’s silicone oil I think. Here’s a video of diff maintenance which explains more than I could in this post. If you want to just change the fluid you can just remove the four screws, carefully pull them apart and leave them upside down over night to drain them and add the new fluid and put them back together. If you take them all apart you may want to get a set of bearings from Jimsbearings or Fasteddie. They are around 20 bucks. There’s enough bearings for the whole truck.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/arrma-diff-maintenance-video-strip-down-and-rebuild-tips.12787/

The bigger number is thicker fluid. It’s kind of like grease but it’s silicone oil I think. Here’s a video of diff maintenance which explains more than I could in this post. If you want to just change the fluid you can just remove the four screws, carefully pull them apart and leave them upside down over night to drain them and add the new fluid and put them back together. If you take them all apart you may want to get a set of bearings from Jimsbearings or Fasteddie. They are around 20 bucks. There’s enough bearings for the whole truck.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/arrma-diff-maintenance-video-strip-down-and-rebuild-tips.12787/

What K rating fluid would you recommend on the Talion Diffs ? I understand the various diffs in the talion wants different K ratings.

What K rating fluid would you recommend on the Talion Diffs ? I understand the various diffs in the talion wants different K ratings.
The K just stands for thousand. For example:

100,000 = 100k

They all are cst values. Unless they say W or weight, which is a different scale value.

Yep, sure I know the K is for 1000 , but how many 1000 would you use or what CST value would you use on the diffs ?

Hello, I run 200k in the center and 40k front 30k rear. I’m pretty much just a basher so I really haven’t experimented too much. I know I did not like the front wheels getting so much power so I generally run heavier fluid in the center. I have 500k in my Outcast and Kraton center difs which I may try in the talion.

The sand got into your tires and acted like a brick in a washing machine ? drill some 1/8” holes into your tires in the center of the tread and you’ll have no problems. All my rigs have it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back