Tire Studs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammer Down

I am serious, and don’t call me Shirley! 🙃
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite Grom
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Outcast 6s
  8. Outcast 8s
  9. Infraction 4x4
I looked quick but didn’t see anything on this.

So has anyone studded the tires/rims on their rig for ice driving, like on a frozen lake. I was thinking of taking one of the trucks out to a frozen pond or lake before it snows a bunch. My concern is it won’t get any traction if it’s glare ice. Plus it would just be cool to have studded ice tires.

I looked quick but didn’t see anything on this.

So has anyone studded the tires/rims on their rig for ice driving, like on a frozen lake. I was thinking of taking one of the trucks out to a frozen pond or lake before it snows a bunch. My concern is it won’t get any traction if it’s glare ice. Plus it would just be cool to have studded ice tires.

Sounds cool to me. How would you do it?

Sounds cool to me. How would you do it?
Not quite sure yet, that’s where you guys come in... I was thinking of just putting sheet metal screws in some cheap tires or maybe and old set of rims ?

Not quite sure yet, that’s where you guys come in... I was thinking of just putting sheet metal screws in some cheap tires or maybe and old set of rims ?
Might have found my answer ⬇️
2610E16E-4DD1-4C41-9BC6-15A46EB32F0E.jpeg

Does anybody have some old rims they want to donate/sell me?

I personally would run some 1/4 self tappers into an old set of rim without tires and off set them so they do not line up and grind sharp edges to the heads of them. Only run 4s with punch setting of 1 and silicon center diff to lock it best you can.
Oh that looks nice.... real nice

I have plenty of spent hoons ? but those are kinda small for the kraton... (?) maybe I’ll put some studded rims on the infraction and run that on the lake ?

I've done it on tires for my Timaya Hornet.
I ran screws into the tire from the inside and then mounted the tires onto bead lock style rims. It was recommended to me that I should use button head screws so they won't pull through the tire at high rpms as the tires balloon out.
I also added a layer of shoo goo before threading the screws all the way in so that the screw heads are captured in a layer of glue.

The tires are heavy as heck but also solid and I've not lost any screws after maybe 4 hrs of run time. I think the shoo goo keeps the tires from ballooning very much.
As you can see these screws are too long, when they are this long they kinda fold back. They are still fun though... Before I run them again I'll clip them down to about 1/4 inch.

20191115_010701.jpg

For what it's worth; ice drag racers run machine screws into their tires so that the shoulder of the screw head bites into the ice. When the screw is run from the inside out the pointy tip of the screws really don't bite well.

Last edited:
I've done it on tires for my Timaya Hornet.
I ran screws into the tire from the inside and then mounted the tires onto bead lock style rims. It was recommended to me that I should use button head screws so they won't pull through the tire at high rpms as the tires balloon out.
I also added a layer of shoo goo before threading the screws all the way in so that the screw heads are captured in a layer of glue.

The tires are heavy as heck but also solid and I've not lost any screws after maybe 4 hrs of run time. I think the shoo goo keeps the tires from ballooning very much.
As you can see these screws are too long, when they are this long they kinda fold back. They are still fun though... Before I run them again I'll clip them down to about 1/4 inch.

View attachment 53855
For what it's worth; ice drag racers run machine screws into their tires so that the shoulder of the screw head bites into the ice. When the screw is run from the inside out the pointy tip of the screws really don't bite well.
That also came across my mind, tire ballooning and catching Shrapnel ? even from the inside out. Kinda leaning towards the old rim idea w/glued on pvc skin/ring and putting bolts from the inside out. Pretty much like the pic I posted. ?

That also came across my mind, tire ballooning and catching Shrapnel ? even from the inside out. Kinda leaning towards the old rim idea w/glued on pvc skin/ring and putting bolts from the inside out. Pretty much like the pic I posted. ?
That's how I'll do it when I make a set for my BRCC.

The method I used last time was a messy process and took forever. The results are solid but I don't think it's worth the mess/hassle.

Does anyone have some old worn out kraton/outcast tires/rims they will sell me? They don’t need tires, I just need the rims.
I’m seriously wanting to make some ice thrashers!
Maybe this should be in the classifieds???

Make sure you use a harder material not that zinc coated. It's a soft metal and will more then likely snap the studs off
I would pick up a smaller rim. Too many studs will spread the weight out too far. Like laying on a bed of nails. The wont bite and just spin. I would almost recommend a buggy rim

I took a buggy tire that is meant for my Tamiya Hornet to the hardware store and found this. It's a plumbing coupler that is just the right size for the tire to squish into.
20191115_205043.jpg

It is by no means perfect but I'm bored and this coupler cost me a buck fitty.

20191115_204852.jpg

Looks like I can cut the coupler into two rings and make a set of "Tire Sleeves".
20191115_205120.jpg

Found these on eBay $13.50 for a set of 2 w/free shipping, ordered 2 sets.
B82B7A1A-3118-44D2-9DA1-1DB79D7633DB.jpeg

They should work perfectly for my little project ? now I just need to find some pvc that fits the rims, bolts and lock nuts.
Ice thrashing here I come!!! ?

I'm considering stainless steel bolts for the rust resistance...if I can find them cheap enough.

Any idea on what hardware you'll be running yet?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back