Tire Studs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm considering stainless steel bolts for the rust resistance...if I can find them cheap enough.

Any idea on what hardware you'll be running yet?
Not quite sure yet, still doing my research (aka) hitting up the hardware stores. I’ll definitely post what I come up with. In the meantime I’m open to suggestions...

I'm probably going to go with whatever inexpensive stainless hardware I find on Amazon since I live in the boonies and love some free delivery.

I'm mostly interested in what size and style will give the best "bite" on the ice.
Thoughts?

Update:

So... I got my little ice thrasher project pretty much wrapped up. Although I’m not quite satisfied with the spacing I ended up with. They looked closer together when I was laying it out... but after installing the bolts and looking at it for awhile. They seem a little too far apart, I was thinking of adding more??? Maybe 3 across from the middle row, basically filling in between the bolts on the outer rows??? I kinda want to try it first tho before I add more. Anyway here’s a few pics.
21A3E58F-0454-44C0-946A-AFF3A7093C9F.jpeg
53EA1481-ACCB-4A5B-B332-18A2F0EE03C1.jpeg
110786EE-AF8A-4782-97F0-8B5CA628FB98.jpeg
E1ED99A3-9F6C-4ED2-85FB-ACB2AE8A6DDB.jpeg
14201A2F-312D-4DA9-9A5A-B3BFF43D7582.jpeg
F4A4A306-D94A-4EBB-BE15-714BA92B824D.jpeg
96A7EBFD-C2F2-4B05-9456-59E231A19D7C.jpeg
B3AA2F14-428D-4545-A856-DAFB878C4EB5.jpeg
213DBBBE-C43D-417D-BFB0-A6CA8B49A998.jpeg

That spacing looks perfect. If anything dremel the tips a bit more aggressive. Too many and they will not bite in the ice. Looking great

I wouldn't want to get hit by that thing that's for sure ?
Me either, it’s pretty gnarly! Super pumped to try it out tho!! ?

Finally got my test run vid uploaded ?

(Beware Foul Language!!)

They worked pretty good ? the real funny sh!t starts at the 2:30 mark if you don’t want to watch all 7+ min. Yes I’m aware the rear diff is going out (clicking bad) after what happened in the vid it will obviously be getting a through cleaning/lubricating and bearing change and probably rebuild the rear diff. ???

Anyway... Enjoy!!!

Finally got my test run vid uploaded ?

(Beware Foul Language!!)

They worked pretty good ? the real funny sh!t starts at the 2:30 mark if you don’t want to watch all 7+ min. Yes I’m aware the rear diff is going out (clicking bad) after what happened in the vid it will obviously be getting a through cleaning/lubricating and bearing change and probably rebuild the rear diff. ???

Anyway... Enjoy!!!

That was well worth the price of admission ????

From watching that video it looks like you need either more studs or longer studs, doesn't really seem to get much for traction.

From watching that video it looks like you need either more studs or longer studs, doesn't really seem to get much for traction.
It’s too light to bite in the glare ice it did way better on the white/sh!ty ice. More weight or better throttle control would help but overall they worked better than I thought they would. ?

Your first sub, shouldn't that be submarine?? ? ?
Thought I might have to go for a swim too!!
I wasn’t gonna leave it there ?

I am sure it was easier to see your Kraton with the naked eye, but I was prepared to watch you dive in that frigid water. ??

In the voice of John Gillespie "Get THE FRABILL, GET THE FRABILL" (get the net) :LOL:

I am sure it was easier to see your Kraton with the naked eye, but I was prepared to watch you dive in that frigid water. ??
The second time I was just fishing, I couldn’t see it at all ????

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back