Tires ballooning what type of fishing line is best

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonphelps

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I got some hyrax prolines and I love them but I want to cut down on the ballooning saucers.

I have a couple different types of fishing line on hand at home. Will either of these work better than the other? For example one is fluorine and the other is braided fiber

Are there how to videos on this or different techniques?

D9C07BAF-5A18-40B9-AB95-A5935D8F88E4.jpeg

B6AA2C4E-8BEB-41F5-AE2F-929A60EEEA49.jpeg

Braided is better, mono stretches.

Fluoropolymer monofilament is meant to be super slick to move through the water without drag. It probably won't hold as well wiith CA glue as a braid. I'm not spreading misinformation, just sharing general material knowledge.

I use kevlar cord from amazon. It has held up extremely well where braided fishing line didnt. Plus the glue can soak into the kevlar cord more I believe so it strengthens it that much more. I have it on hyrax tires actually, held up to 70+ on my typhon (I have gps so that is confirmed speed). Didnt even tie it, just wrapped it like 2-3 times and then put the 2 ends slightly overlapped and glued it up and then glued 2 more spots around the tire to further help it stay put. Also the nice thing about the hyrax is that it has 3 lanes for the line to fit in so you can really stop it from ballooning

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07283VX4D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use kevlar cord from amazon. It has held up extremely well where braided fishing line didnt. Plus the glue can soak into the kevlar cord more I believe so it strengthens it that much more. I have it on hyrax tires actually, held up to 70+ on my typhon (I have gps so that is confirmed speed). Didnt even tie it, just wrapped it like 2-3 times and then put the 2 ends slightly overlapped and glued it up and then glued 2 more spots around the tire to further help it stay put. Also the nice thing about the hyrax is that it has 3 lanes for the line to fit in so you can really stop it from ballooning

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07283VX4D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Which weight line did you go with?

I got some hyrax prolines and I love them but I want to cut down on the ballooning saucers.

I have a couple different types of fishing line on hand at home. Will either of these work better than the other? For example one is fluorine and the other is braided fiber

Are there how to videos on this or different techniques?

View attachment 187455

View attachment 187456
Have you considered just venting the tires?

Venting helps but it by no means stops the ballooning
I used braided fishing line before and it helps a lot, but you have to glue it down in several places to be affective. If even one strand comes loose, it usually gets caught in the wheel's hub. Since then, I just tape up the vents on the inside of the wheel to allow less air into the tire. If buying new tires today, I would opt for a belted version if and when possible.

I used braided fishing line before and it helps a lot, but you have to glue it down in several places to be affective. If even one strand comes loose, it usually gets caught in the wheel's hub. Since then, I just tape up the vents on the inside of the wheel to allow less air into the tire. If buying new tires today, I would opt for a belted version if and when possible.
Yeah but in the example of Badlands 2.8 the non belted tire is far far more wide than the non belted. So if you successfully wrap the non belted tire which isn't hard, you have a much better setup. The belted Badlands have way less grip than non belted. And in this situation the hyrax doesn't come belted so you have no choice

I wish I could have found black when I bought mine, all I could find was yellow.

I have used 500 pound kevlar string from Amazon - about 1.5 mm diameter which fits in the treads of my tires. I tied the ends together and used CA glue on the knot and in 4 spots around the tire. No issues with the string being cut. For wider tires you may want to wrap the tire in 2 places instead of just down the centre - otherwise you may get weird ballooning on either side of the string.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back