Kraton Titanium Pinions or Spurs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC_Noob

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Curious, but I never really see anything on these forums, nor haven't come across any vids about titanium pinions or spurs. Let me be very clear, I absolutely know nothing about this and was curious if anyone has tried some. From the little i've read titanium is stronger and lighter than steel so it had me wondering why this wouldn't be more out there given the nature of pinions and spurs.

Curious, but I never really see anything on these forums, nor haven't come across any vids about titanium pinions or spurs. Let me be very clear, I absolutely know nothing about this and was curious if anyone has tried some. From the little i've read titanium is stronger and lighter than steel so it had me wondering why this wouldn't be more out there given the nature of pinions and spurs.
It’s stronger in some ways but for gears, quality steel is the way to go. Good steel can actually stand up to the abuse better than titanium.

If I understand correct, titanium is stronger, but more brittle than steel. I think titanium would be too brittle for pinions.
In a nutshell, yes. Steel is denser, has a higher tensile strength, and is harder. There’s other factors that come into play such as the grades of each metal and the hardening process. To give an RC example I’ll say this. Look at Ti front driveshafts for a Limitless. The pins and CVD stub are steel. Those shafts will get worn out a lot quicker than steel shafts because of things I mentioned above.

If you could figure out a process by which to increase the ductility of large diamonds so they could deform without shattering, you'd be onto something that could really set new standards. But until then (and until the price of diamonds craters like a black hole that fell off the side of the coffee table), stick to hardened steel for your gears. That's where you're going to get the highest return on durability for every cent and dollar spent. Quality steel gears, if looked after properly, will last you many, many years.

I think the other comparative benefit to Ti over other steels is the corrosion resistance.

Where I am they use salt to melt ice, and our public bus shelters use Ti to bolt the shelters to the ground.

I think that's also why it's used in humans / Ti doesn't react with it's environment in a significant way compared to other metals.

A grain elevator I worked at had some chopping machine that had replacement blades. The "blades" (were not sharp like a knife) were really distinct from other metals. very black, very matte not at all smooth finish, dense, and a ping sound that gave the sense it's VERY solid/rigid (like all the energy of the hitting together is turned into sound) obviously VERY high carbon content steel.

I think the steel in our stock arrmas is also considered "high carbon" steel....but large range of quality. like the ring/pinion gears seem good quality carbon steel, but the screws...not so much.

Last edited:
I think that's also why it's used in humans / Ti doesn't react with it's environment in a significant way compared to other metals.
Yup. Titanium and surgical stainless steel work well for rebuilding certain bone type body parts like necks, for example. The titanium does not show up as bright as the steel in x-rays, as was explained to me.

B9005264-FD57-44E4-95AA-FB61EFD5423B.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back