TLR 22 5.0 Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan10R

Rich Duperbash wannabe
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Notorious
  4. Talion
  5. Typhon 6s
Going try to get into the racing scene. Figure I do a little build tread on it

First I think the booklet said 3 to 5 hours 🤣🤣🤣🤣 try more like 10ish.

TLR 22 5.0 2 wheel drive buggy
Trinity mx10pro 200amp esc
Trinity revtech x factor 17.5 motor
Pro tek 160ss servo.

Just need to figure out how to mount esc and receiver and get a battery for her

And wait for the best painter to send the body and front wing back😁

IMG_20220516_120947414.jpg
IMG_20220516_121008370.jpg
IMG_20220516_121016383.jpg
IMG_20220516_121025285.jpg

On all my recent builds I have been just double stick taping the esc to the mount plates and they have held up in practice.

On all my recent builds I have been just double stick taping the esc to the mount plates and they have held up in practice.
Yea that's bout all u can do with these. But trying find best way to just position it so I can hide the wires and so it just looks the best nice and clean look possible

Nice! I enjoy my Losi 22 5.0 AC. Racing on carpet is a blast, and the buggy never gets dirty haha. Currently racing 21.5, previously 17.5. Also recently picked up a Losi 22t 4.0, converted to a 5.0 using a Vision Racing carbon chassis.
Have fun racing!!

Nice! I enjoy my Losi 22 5.0 AC. Racing on carpet is a blast, and the buggy never gets dirty haha. Currently racing 21.5, previously 17.5. Also recently picked up a Losi 22t 4.0, converted to a 5.0 using a Vision Racing carbon chassis.
Have fun racing!!
Heck man I would love to find a place to carpet race looks like a blast. And sweet sound like going be sweet rig. And any tips? I'll need them

Oh yeah I have plenty of tips! Depends what kind of tips you're looking for haha. Do you have a local track available already? The racers there will be the best resource for setup and track-specific things. Some thoughts off the top of my head:
Setup: - tires trump nearly everything. A perfect setup will be wasted if you have the wrong tires. See what the fast guys are running and buy the same ;) If there's a shop attached to the track they can tell you as well.
- It may be good to drive the car set up `per the manual` so you can get a baseline feeling and see what the car needs. Then make adjustments as needed.
- A setup that works for a pro driver does not guarantee success; it may suit their on-the-edge aggressive style, but it way too nervous for a beginning racer
- For setup advice, ask the local racers. You can also find good setups at the bottom of the Losi product page
- Setup wise, every change has a Pro & Con. Plus making a change in one spot, can have a knock-on effect somewhere else. When tuning, change only ONE thing at a time, so you know what does what. Sometimes it's fun to try extremes. Try 0' rear toe, and then 3' rear toe. How does it feel different?
Electronics: - Your Esc likely has all kinds of cool settings to play with, such as drive frequency, drag brake, neutral band etc. Definitely play around with it, it can make the car much easier to drive. This video has some great info on it, be it on a different Esc.
- A medium/ high end radio can make things easier again. For example to calm down steering, you can dial in exponential. You can also adjust other things such as brake strength.
- Make sure you mount a fan to cool your motor, and check temps after each race or practice session. If you run quite cool, then you can gear up, or turn up boost/ turbo etc.
Race craft: - Time/ money is best invested in practice, practice, practice! (And tires). Instead of driving right away, take some time to watch the fast guys. What lines do they take, where do they brake?
- Once you start on a track, resist the temptation to go 'balls to the wall' right away. The goal is to make it around the track without crashing. Go as slow as you need to make it around the track without flipping over/ crashing. Then slowly speed up. Alternatively, practice one specific corner. Once you have that one down, take the next and so on. Many beginning racers want to go fast, but crash often. Which is frustrating and no fun. Keep it smooth and consistent.
- Watch some youtube videos. Ryan Harris has an excellent series and JQRacing as well.
Track courtesy/ tips: - This is perhaps the most important, not only for safety but also for everyone to have a good time.
- When there are faster racers on the track, let them by :) It takes some time to learn awareness of other cars on the track, especially since you're so focused on your own. Once you get good, you will lose a minimal amount of time while letting someone by. Just take a corner a bit wider etc.
- Don't stop on the straight!! Other racers can't see that far ahead and both cars could end up in pieces.
- If you do crash, call it out loud. "Caution on the double!" "Caution on the straight!! Go inside!!" And stay off the throttle; marshalls like to keep their fingertips.
- Once you're done practicing/ racing, help the other racers out by marshalling. Marshalling is an art in itself. Don't put yourself in harms way, use both hands, don't put a car back right in front of oncoming traffic etc.
- This video does a great job of explaining things.

There's much more... but really fellow racers are the best way to learn. And just having patience. Good racers will have 100's/ 1000's of hours of track time... enjoy the process of learning and getting a bit better each time.

Oh yeah I have plenty of tips! Depends what kind of tips you're looking for haha. Do you have a local track available already? The racers there will be the best resource for setup and track-specific things. Some thoughts off the top of my head:
Setup: - tires trump nearly everything. A perfect setup will be wasted if you have the wrong tires. See what the fast guys are running and buy the same ;) If there's a shop attached to the track they can tell you as well.
- It may be good to drive the car set up `per the manual` so you can get a baseline feeling and see what the car needs. Then make adjustments as needed.
- A setup that works for a pro driver does not guarantee success; it may suit their on-the-edge aggressive style, but it way too nervous for a beginning racer
- For setup advice, ask the local racers. You can also find good setups at the bottom of the Losi product page
- Setup wise, every change has a Pro & Con. Plus making a change in one spot, can have a knock-on effect somewhere else. When tuning, change only ONE thing at a time, so you know what does what. Sometimes it's fun to try extremes. Try 0' rear toe, and then 3' rear toe. How does it feel different?
Electronics: - Your Esc likely has all kinds of cool settings to play with, such as drive frequency, drag brake, neutral band etc. Definitely play around with it, it can make the car much easier to drive. This video has some great info on it, be it on a different Esc.
- A medium/ high end radio can make things easier again. For example to calm down steering, you can dial in exponential. You can also adjust other things such as brake strength.
- Make sure you mount a fan to cool your motor, and check temps after each race or practice session. If you run quite cool, then you can gear up, or turn up boost/ turbo etc.
Race craft: - Time/ money is best invested in practice, practice, practice! (And tires). Instead of driving right away, take some time to watch the fast guys. What lines do they take, where do they brake?
- Once you start on a track, resist the temptation to go 'balls to the wall' right away. The goal is to make it around the track without crashing. Go as slow as you need to make it around the track without flipping over/ crashing. Then slowly speed up. Alternatively, practice one specific corner. Once you have that one down, take the next and so on. Many beginning racers want to go fast, but crash often. Which is frustrating and no fun. Keep it smooth and consistent.
- Watch some youtube videos. Ryan Harris has an excellent series and JQRacing as well.
Track courtesy/ tips: - This is perhaps the most important, not only for safety but also for everyone to have a good time.
- When there are faster racers on the track, let them by :) It takes some time to learn awareness of other cars on the track, especially since you're so focused on your own. Once you get good, you will lose a minimal amount of time while letting someone by. Just take a corner a bit wider etc.
- Don't stop on the straight!! Other racers can't see that far ahead and both cars could end up in pieces.
- If you do crash, call it out loud. "Caution on the double!" "Caution on the straight!! Go inside!!" And stay off the throttle; marshalls like to keep their fingertips.
- Once you're done practicing/ racing, help the other racers out by marshalling. Marshalling is an art in itself. Don't put yourself in harms way, use both hands, don't put a car back right in front of oncoming traffic etc.
- This video does a great job of explaining things.

There's much more... but really fellow racers are the best way to learn. And just having patience. Good racers will have 100's/ 1000's of hours of track time... enjoy the process of learning and getting a bit better each time.
Heck yea man thanks for all that info. And yea I have been wanting a ton of videos. Yea I have a track about 40mins I plan on practice after work few hours a day and yea like you said try and make a friend at the track to give me some tips and kinda guide me. There's a good racer at my LHS I been talking with and helping me out. But thanks again. I'll be putting videos up on my channel. But I plan on taking this summer to practice and get my bearings and then take it more serious in the winter. Kinda save bashing the arrmas for summer and track buggy's for winter.

✌🏻✌🏻✌🏻

Have fun racing!!
What servo are u running in the 5.0? I switched to a Trinity to match the motor and esc but the manual doesn't have the shims for it? How can u tell how many shims u need if any?

I'm running the MKS Servo X5 HBL550LX Low Profile, with the TLR331033 clamping horn and TLR331036 servo mount. MKS wasn't listed in the manual for servos, so I used what came with the buggy (bought it 2nd hand). Here's what mine looks like... excuse the carpet fuzz :)
1652888437119.jpeg

I'm running the MKS Servo X5 HBL550LX Low Profile, with the TLR331033 clamping horn and TLR331036 servo mount. MKS wasn't listed in the manual for servos, so I used what came with the buggy (bought it 2nd hand). Here's what mine looks like... excuse the carpet fuzz :) View attachment 218319
Thanks man I think I got figured out. Thanks for the help

IMG_20220518_164521469.jpg

Looking so sexy. Took back the protek servo and pick up the new Trinity HT 1980. Go get some batteries this weekend and wait for some pinions to come in the mail.

You guys I think ur looking at the next Ryan Mayfield 😜 j/k I just hope I make round the track one time.

Looks really good! Still needs a transponder to watch those improving laptimes :cool:

We had a fun club race yesterday. In practice I broke a front A-arm after hitting the wall full-speed, luckily I had a spare. Out of 11 racers in the 21.5 class I qualified 2nd. In the A-Main with 6 racers I got tangled up in one of the first corners and then had to fight my way back from last place. Put my head down, tried my best to keep wheels down and passed a few. Ended up finishing 3rd, 0.3 seconds behind second place. If I could have gotten ONE more lap!
Watching the other classes was fun too... the 13.5 Short Course A-Main was a barn burner. Number one and two were swapping the lead several times, the crowd was hollering, cheering them on.

Hope you have a good time racing yourself Jordan10R! Be sure to join a Novice race (y)

Looks really good! Still needs a transponder to watch those improving laptimes :cool:

We had a fun club race yesterday. In practice I broke a front A-arm after hitting the wall full-speed, luckily I had a spare. Out of 11 racers in the 21.5 class I qualified 2nd. In the A-Main with 6 racers I got tangled up in one of the first corners and then had to fight my way back from last place. Put my head down, tried my best to keep wheels down and passed a few. Ended up finishing 3rd, 0.3 seconds behind second place. If I could have gotten ONE more lap!
Watching the other classes was fun too... the 13.5 Short Course A-Main was a barn burner. Number one and two were swapping the lead several times, the crowd was hollering, cheering them on.

Hope you have a good time racing yourself Jordan10R! Be sure to join a Novice race.
Yup still got get one them. And sweet man sounded like a blast.

And thanks I'll be in a novice race for sure. That for beginners right?

Yessir! That's the beginner class. It can get a bit hectic but it's a lot of fun. In our club night sometimes there will be a few buggies, Traxxas Slash and a stadium truck all running together 🤠

Yessir! That's the beginner class. It can get a bit hectic but it's a lot of fun. In our club night sometimes there will be a few buggies, Traxxas Slash and a stadium truck all running together 🤠
Cool can't wait to start practicing😬 but question when painting the body is there a rule or something against tinting or painting the windows?

With these, is the only place to practice the track? Can you take it on road to get a feel for the buggies? I wonder how fast these go on 2s, 13.5t vs 17.5t. I have a tlr and xray I picked up...just have to find a nice track to run on.

With these, is the only place to practice the track? Can you take it on road to get a feel for the buggies? I wonder how fast these go on 2s, 13.5t vs 17.5t. I have a tlr and xray I picked up...just have to find a nice track to run on.
I think the 13.5 is faster. I haven't drove mine yet and they looks fast in videos lol. Xray a nice buggy. @Rcproponent had a bad to the bone one I whis I could bought. And I sure u could dive on street but would use a pair tires just for that tho.

I'll report back. I have to find a track with practice time that fits my schedule. I drove them on my carpet, they handle so well

As painting the windows is concerned, I'm not aware of any rule on that. You'll want to check with your local track to be sure though. Our track asks people to have a chassis protector (to prevent protruding screws from ripping up the carpet).

Personally I started with a 17.5, which is plenty fast. Then I moved to 21.5 (a bit slower), but with some Boost & Turbo it has really nice top speed (again, depends on the club. If they run 'blinky mode', it doesn't allow any boost stuff). My suggestion would be to start out with 21.5 if they have this class. You can focus more on driving the ideal line... and since you're a bit slower, you tend to crash less, which prevents frustration. I've seen several guys get so frustrated from crashing 3-4 minutes in, that they just park the car. I find it better to drive at 90% and keep it right side up :)

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back