Typhon tlr tuned typhon for track and racing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timaneli

Reaction score
hello! i recent purchase a almost new typhon tlr tuned!

after i had many pro´s kits from other brands i am surprised how simple, easy to setup and reliable this car is!!
is great on track and if it was a litlle lighter this was a perfect racer!!

IMG_20220705_211832[1].jpg

IMG_20220705_211808[1].jpg

IMG_20220705_185408[1].jpg

the car rtr weights 3918 kilos and the only upgrade so far is hb racing e819 front and rear shocks springs!

i have a corally 3556hv servo
hobbywing xr8 sct esc with much more racing 2050kv brushless motor and is geared for 4s lipo.

i also order some carbon fiber parts and i am looking for lighter cvds that fit the car!

greetings to all!!

IMG_20220705_211808[1].jpg

IMG_20220705_185408[1].jpg

Nice job there. :cool:
Sure it could be lighter no doubt. But I find my TLRT very well balanced running CNHL Race packs. 5600mah 4s. 4s is best for this rig and at Sanctioned tracks only 4s is allowed. Is this a basher rig?
How much does it weigh with the Lipo? Always measure weight with the Lipo in place, body on.. Full running weight for best comparison to other rigs.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/srcs-tlrt-typhon-build.47651/

I was considering a TLRT for the E-Buggy class, I've run my v5 Typhon against race E-Buggies and it wasn't competitive but it wasn't a disaster either. The TLRT would be better and I'm familiar with the platform. Kyosho make a decent readyset 1/8 E Buggy that looks the goods. I'm not ready to build from scratch yet but I've got the racing bug.

Nice job there. :cool:
Sure it could be lighter no doubt. But I find my TLRT very well balanced running CNHL Race packs. 5600mah 4s. 4s is best for this rig and at Sanctioned tracks only 4s is allowed. Is this a basher rig?
How much does it weigh with the Lipo? Always measure weight with the Lipo in place, body on.. Full running weight for best comparison to other rigs.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/srcs-tlrt-typhon-build.47651/

hello steve!! i like you thread and build too!! the weight of mine is with battery!

I was considering a TLRT for the E-Buggy class, I've run my v5 Typhon against race E-Buggies and it wasn't competitive but it wasn't a disaster either. The TLRT would be better and I'm familiar with the platform. Kyosho make a decent readyset 1/8 E Buggy that looks the goods. I'm not ready to build from scratch yet but I've got the racing bug.
i have a kyosho mp9 tki4 with kyosho electric conversion and it is way worst in parts streght and durability than the arrma.
Yeah she's porky. Approx 500g heavier than my Associated buggy with similar components and battery. Still a fun car though.
i wonder if associated cvd fits the arrma??

they are way lighter !!;)

For track use, CF is definitely the place to start with. Towers also. But a CF front tower will be getting alot of abuse no doubt with a Buggy. Depends how well you drive on the Track.
CF is just not for Bashing use IMHO. There won't be any appreciable difference noticed. Maybe the Bling will entice. IDK.
I also find that the front end is rather heavy also, due to the 4 Steel Pivot Balls. A Big chunk of Unsprung Weight.
Ti or Alloy Pivot balls if can be sourced can also be a significant reduction in weight..
If you are serious about TLRT chassis tuning, try learning more about about caster, camber and Roll center. This is always necessary to dial in to a specific track. The TLRT has numerous ranges in this regard. Having Pill Mount options. Need to study the TLRT manual in regards, and using the supplied bag of pill mounts (at the Hinge Pins).
Also, since these Pill mounts can be delicate with certain impacts, they are prone to breakage more easily. Been there.
I don't consider the TLRT a 6s Basher platform for this reason.
TLRT has great potential at a track. And I feel in the hands of an experienced driver can be extremely competitive with the likes of Losi and TA.
Just needs some fine tuning and lightening up the chassis a bit.
The most important thing I notice is that Cross weight needs to be perfectly at 50/50. Or the rig won't respond equally from Left to Right Steering Input. There will always be a problem at that one turn on the track.
I find that the TLRT comes close to a 50/50 Crossweight pretty much out the box if using a medium capacity 4s Lipo pack. And One single 40mm fan on a 42x74 mm Motor. Chassis ends up well balanced.

Last edited:
For track use, CF is definitely the place to start with. Towers also. But a CF front tower will be getting alot of abuse no doubt with a Buggy. Depends how well you drive on the Track.
CF is just not for Bashing use IMHO. There won't be any appreciable difference noticed. Maybe the Bling will entice. IDK.
I also find that the front end is rather heavy also, due to the 4 Steel Pivot Balls. A Big chunk of Unsprung Weight.
Ti or Alloy Pivot balls if can be sourced can also be a significant reduction in weight..
If you are serious about TLRT chassis tuning, try learning more about about caster, camber and Roll center. This is always necessary to dial in to a specific track. The TLRT has numerous ranges in this regard. Having Pill Mount options. Need to study the TLRT manual in regards, and using the supplied bag of pill mounts (at the Hinge Pins).
Also, since these Pill mounts can be delicate with certain impacts, they are prone to breakage more easily. Been there.
I don't consider the TLRT a 6s Basher platform for this reason.
TLRT has great potential at a track. And I feel in the hands of an experienced driver can be extremely competitive with the likes of Losi and TA.
Just needs some fine tuning and lightening up the chassis a bit.
The most important thing I notice is that Cross weight needs to be perfectly at 50/50. Or the rig won't respond equally from Left to Right Steering Input. There will always be a problem at that one turn on the track.
I find that the TLRT comes close to a 50/50 Crossweight pretty much out the box if using a medium capacity 4s Lipo pack. And One single 40mm fan on a 42x74 mm Motor. Chassis ends up well balanced.

thanks for sharing your opinion and experience!
this chassis is by far much more balanced than other kits because esc position!
i have 50/50 on mine with turnigy 5000mah 40c lipos!

this car with less 200 grams will be a dream machine!!

Absolutely runs best the lighter it gets.
5k mah lipos are perfect for this rig and plenty enough run time for Racing Heats.
I always felt you want the smallest capacity lipo/battery that will get you to finish.
Like scale race cars, you use the smallest amount of fuel needed for a race. Lightest
I noticed many 1/8 track rigs only get as fast as 30-35 mph on the fastest straight sections of a moderate sized track. (varies) So if you gear accordingly, you will gather more low end torque. How you want to compete for position when you see an opening to pass/Lap the guy ahead of you. Need available grunt/torque to do this. I noticed most guys get lapped in/near the turns, not the straights. Torque matters here.
Some track tips I learned years past.

Last edited:
5k mah lipos are perfect for this rig and plenty enough run time for Racing Heats.
I always felt you want the smallest capacity lipo/battery that will get you to finish.
Like scale race cars, you use the smallest amount of fuel needed for a race. Lightest
I noticed many 1/8 track rigs only get as fast as 30-35 mph on the fastest straight sections of a moderate sized track. (varies) So if you gear accordingly, you will gather more low end torque. How you want to compete for position when you see an opening to pass/Lap the guy ahead of you. Need available grunt/torque to do this. I noticed most guys get lapped in/near the turns, not the straights. Torque matters here.
exactly some of the details e learn too here in portugal on regional and national events!

we have to have the most eficient ring for the track!!

I agree with most of this except 5k mah too much. Plenty of runtime. I'm dropping down to 4200mah or so and giving that a try. I feel like I can do a race and a half at 5000mah

The lightest Lipo (lowest Mah) you can use effectively to finish a Heat is how it's done by the Pros.(y) Every rig is Different. Depends on Gearing and the running weight of the rig minus the Lipo. You can control the Lipo weight to a point.
Pros usually disable LVC altoghether. FWIW.
A DNF in a Race due to LVC is always embarassing to say the least.:LOL:
Racers abuse the crap out their Lipos in general. They just want the Max out them and replace them on a whim if necessary.
It's all about PB Lap times and the Win.

Last edited:
The lightest Lipo (lowest Mah) you can use effectively to finish a Heat is how it's done by the Pros.(y) Every rig is Different. Depends on Gearing and the running weight of the rig minus the Lipo. You can control the Lipo weight to a point.
Pros usually disable LVC altoghether. FWIW.
A DNF in a Race due to LVC is always embarassing to say the least.:LOL:
Racers abuse the crap out their Lipos in general. They just want the Max out them and replace them on a whim if necessary.
It's all about PB Lap times and the Win.
I'm running 6,000mah right now and I'm getting 85+ laps. A race is only 40 laps or so.

My buddy runs a lot harder than me, and is only barely faster. But his motor is getting to 165f+ and he's only getting 55 laps (also running 6,000mah)

I'm going to drop down to 4,200 to save a couple ounces and see if I can take the lead from him lol

^^^
Are you both running TLRT's with same gearing and electrics?
Lap times vary due to driver input at the wheel. And usually we choose different lines on the same track as well. Could be the difference right there.:unsure:

^^^
Are you both running TLRT's with same gearing and electrics?
Lap times vary due to driver input at the wheel. And usually we choose different lines on the same track as well. Could be the difference right there.:unsure:
Our cars are nearly identical in every way except brand of ESC and motor (same kV 1900 @ 4s). I'm using Tekin and he's on Maclan

Identical batteries, both brand new cars (less than 3months old)

Todays job!

IMG_20220710_172438.jpg

Start with 105 grams with that holder and without holder and some cutting ended at 83 grams!!

Also the lipos that i use:

1657470655573512285624336440822.jpg

5000 20 to 40c low power turnigy energy😁😁

They do the job so far!

Could you get away with a lower capacity battery on your track?
no , these are low discharge lipos so if i lower the amps i will not be able to finish the 3 10 minutes finals!

the weight is 482 grams ieach and i have use them of different chassis without issues so far!

only on this year i use same electronics on a 8ight-xe, a xray xb8e and a coverted kyosho mp9 tki4...

i run on big 41 seconds for lap tracks with low grip and very bumpy mainly of the races!!

basherqueen parts installed today and not a huge weight difference as i was expected!!

IMG_20220728_210831[1].jpg

IMG_20220728_210849[1].jpg

only 10 grams less....

but the quality and looks of these carbon parts from basherqueen is amazing!!

IMG_20220728_214538[1].jpg

now the ride is officially under the 3900 grams of weight!!

IMG_20220728_214710[1].jpg

3895 grams fully loaded!!

i want to change front / rear and center driveshafts next and see where weight stays after that!!

if someone know what driveshafts are direct fit to tlr tuned hubs please tell me!!

greetings

Back