Typhon tlr tuned typhon for track and racing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our cars are nearly identical in every way except brand of ESC and motor (same kV 1900 @ 4s). I'm using Tekin and he's on Maclan

Identical batteries, both brand new cars (less than 3months old)
Remember that Motor KV from one brand rarely equates to KV of another.
And some motors never achieve advertised KVs at all.
Verified on my Motor analyzer.
basherqueen parts installed today and not a huge weight difference as i was expected!!

View attachment 232537

View attachment 232538

only 10 grams less....

but the quality and looks of these carbon parts from basherqueen is amazing!!

View attachment 232539

now the ride is officially under the 3900 grams of weight!!

View attachment 232540

3895 grams fully loaded!!

i want to change front / rear and center driveshafts next and see where weight stays after that!!

if someone know what driveshafts are direct fit to tlr tuned hubs please tell me!!

greetings
The stockers are probably lightest, unless you can source Titanium. Be careful that they don't hit or rub the Fr and Rr braces however if changing them out too., if they have a larger diameter, which Ti or heavier Upgrade ones usually are.
FWIW, the Lim/Infr. run the same Size driveshafts.
>>> Best thing to do IMHO, is to run Front stocker CVD's at the rear also. Many High end Race kits have CVD's at the rear also. Not plain dog bones. An absolute necessity if you are Racing against good competition. Want to bring the TLRT to the next level.

Last edited:
Yeah she's porky. Approx 500g heavier than my Associated buggy with similar components and battery. Still a fun car though.
+1
I can post my TLRT Setup sheet. For some ideas. I changed roll center, Front Upper pills and Wheels base. I did much tweaking. Bear In mind I never raced on any Track. Only wish there was one close enough. I'd be there regularly.
Every track is different with setup. Just there are some tweaks that the TLRT absolutely need for most tracks. The roll center being OFF out the box is one of them. IMHO. Would need some different spring sets also, and some shock tweaks. But the shocks are probably the best part of the TLRT. Way plusher, using X-Rings, (not O-rings) with machined Delrin bottom cartidge parts and "Tapered" pistons.(y)

I noticed one YT'er, who never used it on any track, Recommended using the Team Losi 8ight Setup sheet for tweaking. (n)(n)(n)(n)Assuming and stating they are both the same. NOT. Bears no resemblance at all. That is so ludicrous and incorrect to advise. Misinformation. They are completely different.
Starting with the LosI having/being "C" Hubed. TLRT is a "Baller" front suspension. (having Pivot Balls) A completely different animal and design altogether. Weight bias and all is very different.
So much dumb advice out there. Be warned.

The Team Losi "Tuned" Typhon is NOT a Losi AT ALL. Far from it. That was just creative HH Marketting at its best. With TLR "tuned" branding on the shocks, chassis and towers. And Anodizing of the Alloys to match Losi models. All aestetics. There is Zero Losi engineering on this TLR Typhon. Nada.
Not one Part comes from the Losi Line is cross compatible or plug-in.
The TLRT Typhon is a quasi Team Durango platform at best. (a DEX8)
Having Track adjustability. That's it. A Glorified RTR 6s Typhon with potential. If your driving skills are good.

Don't be so quick to throw away that Rear stocker Plastic Chassis brace quick. Aside from being lighter,, that is a Tuning aid. Some Rear chassis flex is a good thing. How the track guys use it to their advantage, for loose low bite bumpy tracks or high bite, depending. Loosening the bottom screw for more or less flex, Sometimes even removing it altogether depending.... this can gain you more traction. Assuming you have the best tires already. What most are using on you track.
In the end its all about the tire choice and Tire "Prep".

Last edited:
I still disagree with that above.
The TA is a pound lighter for starters and the Front and Rear roll center is way different. Cross weight bias is different also. You can't use another brands setup sheet. Even if it is another "Baller rig". You will be chasing a ghost. Guessing that another models setup sheet 'Might work". Probably even for the worse.:rolleyes: Arrmas OG Pivot Ball Upright geometry is rather old IMHO. Very sloppy, and Far from the best for competition, but Fine for bashing IMHO. It has alot of inherent Push. (n) Driver skill adapting to this is the best you can do most of the time.
Best to stay stock if not sure and make just one tweak at a time and if that works, record it onto your own TLRT setup sheet. Need to take notes with any track rig setup. How it is done. Once you have it the way you want, your setup sheet is your guide for track types at different tracks. There is no "quick way" to dial in a rig and for your own driving style. Even Seasoned track guys running the same identical rigs use their own unique setups. What works for them.
Since the TLRT is Not any mainstream track rig, unfortunately there is NO Track setup support for all the tracks out there. Setup sheets for the many tracks out there are provided by most of the Team driver Kit brands . Setups that were Big event A-Main winners for a specific Track.. TLRT is not in that realm. Last I heard.;)

Last edited:
As @SrC said, any other car setup would not help in any way, even if the cars looks similar, the "window" of adjustments is completely different, e.g. what would be "high" on one car could be "middle" on the other.

But regardless, i would say that car setup sheets are useless even if they are exactly for your car, as even if you change tires, or simply not be on the track on the same day with the same weather.. the setup would change, and every driver needs different setup, you just don't drive like Adam Drake, you drive like you, compare the setup from the same race across the drivers, they setup their cars differently from each other.

Start with the stock setup, and slowly learn what every adjustment do and feel, that's the only way, that way you wont need any other people setups.

+1
I can post my TLRT Setup sheet. For some ideas. I changed roll center, Front Upper pills and Wheels base. I did much tweaking. Bear In mind I never raced on any Track. Only wish there was one close enough. I'd be there regularly.
Every track is different with setup. Just there are some tweaks that the TLRT absolutely need for most tracks. The roll center being OFF out the box is one of them. IMHO. Would need some different spring sets also, and some shock tweaks. But the shocks are probably the best part of the TLRT. Way plusher, using X-Rings, (not O-rings) with machined Delrin bottom cartidge parts and "Tapered" pistons.(y)

I noticed one YT'er, who never used it on any track, Recommended using the Team Losi 8ight Setup sheet for tweaking. (n)(n)(n)(n)Assuming and stating they are both the same. NOT. Bears no resemblance at all. That is so ludicrous and incorrect to advise. Misinformation. They are completely different.
Starting with the LosI having/being "C" Hubed. TLRT is a "Baller" front suspension. (having Pivot Balls) A completely different animal and design altogether. Weight bias and all is very different.
So much dumb advice out there. Be warned.

The Team Losi "Tuned" Typhon is NOT a Losi AT ALL. Far from it. That was just creative HH Marketting at its best. With TLR "tuned" branding on the shocks, chassis and towers. And Anodizing of the Alloys to match Losi models. All aestetics. There is Zero Losi engineering on this TLR Typhon. Nada.
Not one Part comes from the Losi Line is cross compatible or plug-in.
The TLRT Typhon is a quasi Team Durango platform at best. (a DEX8)
Having Track adjustability. That's it. A Glorified RTR 6s Typhon with potential. If your driving skills are good.

Don't be so quick to throw away that Rear stocker Plastic Chassis brace quick. Aside from being lighter,, that is a Tuning aid. Some Rear chassis flex is a good thing. How the track guys use it to their advantage, for loose low bite bumpy tracks or high bite, depending. Loosening the bottom screw for more or less flex, Sometimes even removing it altogether depending.... this can gain you more traction. Assuming you have the best tires already. What most are using on you track.
In the end its all about the tire choice and Tire "Prep".
Like to see what you did to change the front pills...

As @SrC said, any other car setup would not help in any way, even if the cars looks similar, the "window" of adjustments is completely different, e.g. what would be "high" on one car could be "middle" on the other.

But regardless, i would say that car setup sheets are useless even if they are exactly for your car, as even if you change tires, or simply not be on the track on the same day with the same weather.. the setup would change, and every driver needs different setup, you just don't drive like Adam Drake, you drive like you, compare the setup from the same race across the drivers, they setup their cars differently from each other.

Start with the stock setup, and slowly learn what every adjustment do and feel, that's the only way, that way you wont need any other people setups.
+1
Need to create your own TLRT Setup Sheet. For each track. What works for you. That's why why a Blank one is provided with the manual. Like all Race brand kits do. The manual provides much info. on tweaking. Many toss their Arrma manuals. I get it.
Just with the TLRT I would not. This is not your average Arrma RTR manual. It was layed out more like a Race kit manual. Don't lose it or the Setup sheet. Make copies of the Blank setup sheets for different future setups. And keep notes. It's the best way to make the most of your TLRT Typhon.

Last edited:
I'd say a Team Associated setup sheet would be much better as they also run PBS.
Old thread....TA's chassis geometry and weight bias is also way different. P Baller or not. You cannot use one setup sheet for another brand or model. It is useless and a waste of time. You are just throwing crap against the wall. Guessing.
Anyone who states so, is simply misinformed, and oversimplifying things,. Sorry for the news.... Not offending anyone here.
You need to dial in and create your very own setup sheet for your own car. Or use someone elses that races the same rig on that same Track. Even then, it may not work for your driving style at all. The stock setup out the box or per kit build instructions is always where you start. With the Proper Tires for that track being the first to select. Then start driving numerous laps, gathering your best Lap times. Then you can dial it in to achieve better Lap Times, from there. Keep notes on every change you make. Once comfortable with the setup, Create your setup sheet. How it is done by the Pros. The way setup sheets work. From track to track, adjustments are changed, as minute as they need be.

Last edited:
hello my friends!!

sorry for tell nothing last months but i sell my tlr tuned while ago..... i regret alot and i negociate a typhon 6s now on january!!

i have the same project of the tlr tuned , ,ake it lighter as possible!!

since i have a rc8b3.2e stop here too i discover that front and rear cva´s and center universals are lighter and a direct fit!!

IMG20240205122721.jpg

IMG20240205122730.jpg

stock one is 5 grams heavier!!

IMG20240205134636.jpg

IMG20240205134648.jpg

stock ones 6 grams heavier too!!

so i save 26 grams total with this change!!
some photos of my typhon as it is now!!

IMG20240205143317.jpg

IMG20240205143304.jpg

aliexpress chassis plates!!

IMG20240205143251.jpg

IMG20240205143258.jpg

IMG20240205143246.jpg

ae rc8b3.2e front and rear shocks ans more goodies from aliexpress!!

center motor mount alot lighter from aliexpress too and center metal dif case from arrma

center 46t arrma spur gear for more speed on 4s lipo

rear 5 milimeters carbon fiber tower

i always like the disposure of things of typhon chassis and my better track driving with a pillow ball buggy was with my older tlr tuned!!

so i am making this project for racing again and since parts are 5 times cheaper on aliexpress that other parts for other brands i went buying some things to complete this typhon and use other parts from my rc8b3.2e.

hope you guys like and in the next days i will finish it and post final weight and more photos!!

Last edited:
hello my friends!!

sorry for tell nothing last months but i sell my tlr tuned while ago..... i regret alot and i negociate a typhon 6s now on january!!

i have the same project of the tlr tuned , ,ake it lighter as possible!!

since i have a rc8b3.2e stop here too i discover that front and rear cva´s and center universals are lighter and a direct fit!!

View attachment 346833

View attachment 346834

stock one is 5 grams heavier!!

View attachment 346836

View attachment 346842

stock ones 6 grams heavier too!!

so i save 26 grams total with this change!!
some photos of my typhon as it is now!!

View attachment 346843

View attachment 346844

aliexpress chassis plates!!

View attachment 346845

View attachment 346846

View attachment 346847

ae rc8b3.2e front and rear shocks ans more goodies from aliexpress!!

center motor mount alot lighter from aliexpress too and center metal dif case from arrma

center 46t arrma spur gear for more speed on 4s lipo

rear 5 milimeters carbon fiber tower

i always like the disposure of things of typhon chassis and my better track driving with a pillow ball buggy was with my older tlr tuned!!

so i am making this project for racing again and since parts are 5 times cheaper on aliexpress that other parts for other brands i went buying some things to complete this typhon and use other parts from my rc8b3.2e.

hope you guys like and in the next days i will finish it and post final weight and more photos!!
Stock front, rear, and center driveshafts from an rc8b3.2e fit the typhon? Any modifications necessary?

Stock front, rear, and center driveshafts from an rc8b3.2e fit the typhon? Any modifications necessary?
yes center is direct fit!! front and rear you need the 17mm rc8b3.2e hub hex also because thickness of the pin!!

hello!!

finally end the build today!

IMG20240208123056.jpg

final weight 3.730 kgs ( 8.23 pounds)

without heavy duty skids and with stock plastic steering servo mount final weight would be 3.690 kgs ( 8.13 pounds )

this is without more carbon fiber parts and with aluminium upgrades on upper and under arms tasht are heavy than stock ones too!!

IMG20240208123128.jpg

IMG20240208123137.jpg

IMG20240208123157.jpg

i also use a tekno receiver box and a very light but sturdy ebay lipo tray!!

i think with this final weight this is a true competitive platform as any other brand and very capable on track!!

best regards
and feel free to ask or comment!!

i still can save more weight but is for racing purpose and track running only!
You don't need anything fancy like carbon fiber and adding aluminum will just add weight (they sneak up on you).

A good goal weight is 7lbs with batteries.

Good luck

Back